VLM 2012 first timers???

4,821 to 4,840 of 5,367 messages
11/01/2013 at 14:15
Hi, Sunday will be a 10 mile slow flat run. I'm going to run along the canal if the snow stays away!! I want to run 11 min miles but find it hard to run that slow so how does everyone slow their pace down. My last long run of 9.5 miles was meant to be slow and I ended up with an average of 9.26!! I seem to find a comfortable pace and go with that but know I could never keep it going for 26.2 miles.
11/01/2013 at 15:06

Hello people

wishing u well if u are a first timer - VLM or marathoner at all

if only i knew all those years ago what i know now -

if i were all of you, to make your marathon perfect as possible, id be throwig everything into full preparation now and being ready solidly 

12/01/2013 at 08:42

Hi Bigeater I had that problem last year with trying to slow my pace down especially for the really long runs, I found that downloading/printing a pace band for however long your run is really helped.  Wear it on your wrist so that you know what you are supposed to be doing .... worked for me

I am actually getting quite despondant still have this sciatica... thanks B&T for that link they were describing it perfectly... its really uncomfortable.  Off to see the physio this afternoon to see what she thinks.  Not looking forward to it because I think its going to hurt ..... lots !!

I am seriously thinking if I should defer London till next year so many things have been going wrong knee, chest infection and now this ....can't believe it.  Have missed so many running days and getting into the longer runs.  Just don't know what to do

fed up pip

12/01/2013 at 23:54
Hugs Pip - hope the physio was able to help you today?

Mick'n'Phil - hi there . How's you?
13/01/2013 at 00:41

Hi well all I can say is OWCHHHHHHHHHHHHH !! but I tried to be brave  was poked and prodded by the physio she found the sore spot base of my spine/muscle, scraped me of the ceiling [ owch !!] and  did a bit more prodding and sent me on my way.  Going back to see her next week does seem a bit better this evening though.   Anyone out there had acupuncture ????  because I am asthmatic and so can't take ibuprofen or aspirin and hate taking tablets anyway, she sugggested acupuncture if it wasn't any better next week.  'So can I run then I asked ?' NO came the firm reply  anyway let's see what happens next week, cos I am not giving up just yet !

13/01/2013 at 11:55
Pip- sorry to hear of your injury issues, keep the chin up and hopefully in the next week things will be better. Best wishes!
Well been out for my 10 miles slow run this morning. Snow in my face, hat and gloves on and absolutely loved it!!! Managed to slow down to average 10.14 min miles, still quicker than I want but felt comfortable and still feel there's some left in the tank. Pleased I did the 2nd 5 miles quicker than I did the 1st 5 miles as I think that shows me my training is becoming more controlled.
Anyway that's me till a 6 miler on Tuesday..
13/01/2013 at 20:48

Hi all. Sorry for my absence. Busy few days , have been snowed under again with Coaching course work and getting daughter back to uni this week and so on.

Sorry to hear about your niggle PIp. The worst case scenario is of course defering, but see what your physio  says. it may be absolutely fine, and don't worry. You have plenty of time still.

Hi bigeater. Do you have a garmin GPS watch. I know what you mean. I am always speeding up and worried about running faster when I should be running slowly. If you think of the reasons as to why in a particular run  you should be running slower it may help. You have to discipline yourself sometimes to run slower. It sounds silly, but it is true. Try and aim for your projected marathon pace and run 45 seconds to 2 minutes slower than that on your long run !!

Black and Tabby. Running a half is a fantastic idea. I am doing one on the same day, The Bath Half. A half marathon about 6 weeks out is a great idea. As for you forfeiting a long run I would do this. Run your half,do the 18 miler the week after. You could still have a step back week after your 18 miler and get in a 20 miler 3-4 weeks before the marathon. That would work. You will find it easier to recover from your half and then run your 18 miler the following weekend , rather than the other way round. The  half marathon will also be a very good guide as to where you are as far as your fitness levels go. There are a number of reasons as to why you should enter tune up races, whether your marathon is competitive or not. Not imperative, but it is useful. 10k's also are a a fantastic idea. It generates what we call sympathatic nervous system arousal and is of course race specific whether competetive or not. A dress rehearsal for the real thing. So basically, yes !! Do the half. Your schedule can be modified to accommodate your long runs. I can't remember B and T if this is your first marathon or not !!    

13/01/2013 at 23:38
Kiwi - cool. Thank you! I'll have a good look at my schedule and see his best to move the long runs around. I would have done Bath this year. However its not cheap and I was very upset that, when I couldn't run it last year, they wouldn't even let me transfer my number. This will be my 2nd marathon, did VLM last year, but was injured and it was a struggle.

Pip - ow ow ow on your behalf. Hope you heal quickly.

Big eater - well done on your run in the snow. The best way I've found to slow down (and I'm not fast at the best of times!) is to run by heart rate. The challenge then is to keep your heart rate below a certain % rather than watching your pace.
14/01/2013 at 08:25
Hi, yes kiwi I use a garmin gps watch and try and keep an eye on the pace with that. It doesn't have a heart rate monitor tabby and a friend suggested that also, maybe have to look at one.
Yesterday when I slowed down to 11 mins it actually felt uncomfortable if that makes sense running at that pace, it actually felt like I wasn't putting the effort in but I do know I have to do it and go longer and slower.
My marathon pace I hope for will be around 9.45-10 mins per average mile and yesterday was 10.14 so it was slightly slower!
14/01/2013 at 10:57

Kiwi - looking at my schedule, from this week I have the following LSRs

Week 7 - 12 miles
week 8 - suggested HM on the plan
week 9 - 10 miles
Week 10 - 15 miles
Week 11 - 16 miles
week 12 - 12 miles
week 13 - 18 miles (this is the date of the HM I'm looking at)
week 14 - 14 miles
week 15 - 20 miles
then I actually have to take a week off from my schedule for some cross training
Then week 16 - 12 miles
week 17 - 8 miles
week 18 MARATHON!

So replacing week 8s HM with a 14 mile LSR, and switching around for a HM on 3/3 gives long runs will be 12, 14, 10, 15, 16, 12, HM, 18, 20, week off, 12, 8, 26.2 (!)

Is 18M followed by 20M the nest weekend okay????

14/01/2013 at 22:14

Hi again B and T I would Swap your week off ( why are you having this ) round with your 20 miler and have a step back week in between the 18 and 20. perhaps better to recover a bit from your 18 miles, so 2 weeks between your 18 and 20, then a good taper. Everything else on your schedule looks great . 

14/01/2013 at 22:21

I'm ok thanks folkes- have been extremely sick - i only resumed training sunday gone

14/01/2013 at 22:38
Mick'n'Phil - sorry hear you've been ill. Sounds like you're on the mend now?

Kiwi - without wanting to say too much on a public forum, the week with no running isn't moveable. You can see why I was asking for advice on how to jiggle my schedule!
14/01/2013 at 22:41

B & T

surely runnig is all about getting out there when u  can

Kiwi - sorry if i'm butting in on your mentoring

15/01/2013 at 08:26

Mick - I know - but after getting injured last year I'm paranoid about keeping my training as ideal as I can - no sudden increases in miles etc! I'm not a natural runner and really want this marathon (and its training) to be a good experience!

15/01/2013 at 11:42

Sorry to hog the thread everyone

Kiwi - how about this then for my long runs from this week:-

12,14,12,16,18,12,HM,14,20,(week off), 12, 8, 26.2 

Bit of a gap between the 18 and the 20. Is the 12 after the 18 okay?

Feel free to tell me to sort it out myself -sorry for being a pain.

Hope everyone else is okay and surviving the cold / snow / ice. We've got beautiful sunshine, but icy patches here, made for a beautiful 6 miles with a few 'bambi' bits in!

15/01/2013 at 16:36
6.3 mile hilly run for me today. Found it tougher than my 10 miler on Sunday!! Next run will be Thursday. Something nice about running in the icy weather, think I'm definitely a winter runner.
19/01/2013 at 19:39

Hi again all. Sorry to be so long again in getting back on. I always come back and check the site if i haven't been around. 

Hi MicknPhil. Sorry you have not been well, and your advice is always welcome. We can all learn off each other. There is so much to be learnt from marathoning.

Hi Black and Tabby. Don't worry. Your schedule does not have to be absolutely by the book. There is always room for manouevering and re jiggling your schedule. Use schedules as a template. If you can stick to them that is fine, but don't concern yourself if you can not. This just adds extra pressure you can do without. It doesn't matter too much. I have done a long run on a Wednesday before , or a Friday because the weekend has been completely out for one reason or another, as you suggested yourself. We all have either family lives, or full time jobs or whatever which does not always make this possible. 

If you have Hal Higdons 'Marathon' book, he says exactly the same thing !!

Your 12 miles after the 18 is spot on. A good idea to have a reduction in long run mileage and a step back week after a heavier one, this is fine.

As for your 14-20 ( a 6 mile jump here) I think by then if you are feeling both mentally and physically ok, you should have accrued a good aerobic training base by then, so should be alright. Just run the 20 slowly !!!! , and bear in mind this is a bit of a leap. Just go careful !! : Your taper is perfect. Once you have done your 20 miler you can be hugely satisfied. This to me is the 'Holy Grail' in your marathon training both mentally and physically. This is the pinnacle of your months of hard work apart from the actual marathon. Enjoy the taper then !!

Sorry too. I certainly don't want to put you on the spot as to why you have a week off. I was not prying. I was thinking in terms of you just wanted a rest week. I was thinking 'overtraining syndrome' so was just concerned that you were not going down that road and would help try and help  you if you were. I have never suffered from it , but know what to prescribe !!

And, lastly, you are in no way being a pain. if I did not want to help any of you I simply would not be here. We are all going thorugh this together in  training and the lot !! whether you are fossilised old marathoners like me preparing for the umpteenth 26 .2 miler or your first. If I can help in anyway please ask.This is a two way thing. It is helping me here too 

20/01/2013 at 19:40
Hello all!

B&t - how is your training going?

Mick - hope you're better now

Kiwi - hope the writing is coming on!

Big eater - your training sounds like it is going great!

Pip - oh no! Fingers crossed for you. How are things now? Plenty of time to get better and train, don't worry.

Well: I made a decision and feel much relieved because of it: I've pulled out. I hadn't run for two weeks, partly due to holiday and partly due to work. I've taken on a lot of work due to thinking all the work had dried up and my work diary until April is so full, I'll be working most weekends. And I just couldn't see how I could fit in the training, work, family commitments and giving my partner a bit of attention. So now I feel happy and like a stress has been lifted!
So instead I'm doing another half and a 15 mile race. Then in April, I'll see how things are and if I'll do Chester in October.
Yay!
20/01/2013 at 20:21
Hi, sorry to hear you've had to pull out. You've obviously given it a lot of thought and it sounds at the moment it's the right thing for you to do and that's what matters.
You're quite right my training is going great and did a really enjoyable 11 miler today. Rest day tomorrow then about 7 miles on Tuesday. Simply working to a 10% increase week on week and it seems to be working for me.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.