VLM 2012 first timers???

4,881 to 4,900 of 5,398 messages
16/02/2013 at 09:18

Hi Pip. Don't feel guitly about deferring. You are there by right and it is your decision. Ignore the whingers and moaners. It is totally in the rules and if you are not happy then so be it !! For those that feel they have to have a moan about you, just say that it states : If you are unhappy, unwell or whatever you can defer. Believe me . They would rather you did not run if you felt your fitness levels were not up to standard. Again, it states that if you are not feeling ready enough to run, then don't ! Nowhere at all does it say, well, you may feel you are not ready, but have a go anyway. It doesn't !! Your decision Pip, but if you are not happy, it is a good time now to make that decision. If it is any consolation look at it this way. before this VLM you entered through the ballot and got in. This would have been unexpected considering you ran last year. You now know that if you defer you will definitely be doing it next year. SO !!!! after this years marathon you have a year to prepare for it, no worrying about getting in entries and the like that go with it, waiting to see if you are in or not etc. You are there. So plenty of time to prepare. if you are unhappy to run this year, take your time and go into it next year in a much better state of mind and fitness. You would be really gutted if you had a go this year and it didn't happen for you.Where as next year you can make sure it does !!!

Rakhee and Bigeater, by running anything gover 2-2 and a half hours it equates to a long run. What we mean is you could go out and run for two and a half hours and ,say, cover 15 or 16 miles, this will have the similar benefits endurance wise as going out and doing 19 or 20 miles in 2 hours. You are still spending time on your feet. It is said that running for 3 hours is the equivalent to running 20 miles.

However, personally I like to go by mileage. Once I have hit 20 miles in my training run ( no matter how slow or fast), I feel I have reached the Holy Grail in marathon training runs. It is a psychological and physical boost. very important not to shirk in your long runs also. Some people will say that you can get by with 16-18 miles. I would never be happy going into a marathon running anything less than 19 !! But 20 miles is the magical target. Get round 20 miles fit and injury free and you have nailed it. You will complete your marathon !!!

16/02/2013 at 16:20
Hi all I went out for my run this morning and I managed 14.3miles yey! I could have prob pushed it a little more but thought its best not to as I didn't want to risk injury. Legs are sore but good sore so I'm happy with that. Going to do some rolling on the foam roller tonight and prob swim tomorrow. How did everyone else go?
16/02/2013 at 16:23
Superb rakhee massive well done to you and very sensible!! My next run will be 18 miles tomorrow morning. Let you know how it goes...
Edited: 16/02/2013 at 16:24
16/02/2013 at 17:03
Hi Pip you shouldn't feel guilty about deferring. I had to defer last year, combination of injury and hating running. I've been running for over 6 years now and have been trying to get into London for 4 of them so I was over the moon when I got my ballot place for last year. However once I started training I hated it, I started to lose the love I had for running and soon it became a chore. Long runs which I planned to do on a sat morning ended up being done on Sunday night as I keep pushing it back. Then when I did get out I was running them too quick as I just hated running and wanted it to be over but then that's when disaster struck and I ended up picking up an injury which had me unable to run for 3 months which meant pulling out of the marathon. After a long time off I started up running and found the love for it again. Now I'm training for London again but this time it's going much better and I'm still enjoying it. So please don't feel guilty about deferring.
16/02/2013 at 17:16

Well said Rakhee !  and well done. Just a step at a time. 14.3 brill !!! get it done earlier, then you can kick back for the rest of the day.

17/02/2013 at 00:13
Rakhee - yes, very well said and very well run!

Pip - I wish I could give you a big hug. It sound like you've made the best decision (with your head) but heart is still hankering after doing it this year. Much, much better to do it 'properly' next year and get yourself recovered and revitalised this year. Don't feel bad about what people on some other threads say - I read a thread recently that was slamming anyone who stopped at a St Johns ambulance point during a marathon - even just for a smear of Vaseline.

Bigeater - Good luck for your run tomorrow

After my hard 18 miles this week, I decided to skip my last 'easy' 4 miler, and went cycling with my family in the Forest of Dean. Lovely day, we all enjoyed it, and so nice to do some exercise all together

Kiwi - interesting about run times vs distance, we were discussing it on the Brighton thread as well. Conclusion was that everyone's different and you just have to find what's best for you. Personally I really want to do my 20 miler, just so I know I can
17/02/2013 at 14:04
Well proud of myself, I did 19.1 miles this morning, a bit to fast at average 9.56 min miles but the back 9.5 miles was 5 minutes quicker than going out so that must be good, it was an out and back flat route so I'm pleased I came back quicker. Although I only planned 18 miles today I got to 17 miles and wanted to quit but one thing I have in abundance is stubbornness and so I wanted to show myself I could do it and further if I wanted!!
Home and soaked in the freezing bath for 15 minutes, that is harder than the run!! Then ages in roasting hot shower, that was good!
Tried a gel and jelly beans today for the first time, I was ok with them but not sure the effect they had, probably did help.
I'm going to have a fall back week this week, I've constantly increased my mileage since Christmas and I feel it, time to give body a breather I think.
17/02/2013 at 16:00
Well done Bigeater - 19 miles and a negative split definitely time for an easier week for you. Time for a nap if I was you!
17/02/2013 at 16:53
A nap? I wish.... 2 young kids not a chance!! Actually we're all just back from a nice easy long walk, youngest took her scooter but I ended up carrying it. Good sleep for me tonight. Defo having a beer tonight though because I've earned it!!
17/02/2013 at 19:33
Ha ha - my kids are older now, so can manage a sneaky Sunday afternoon nap enjoy your beer and sleep well!
17/02/2013 at 22:03

Some great mileage there , well done all.

Pip, you ok   !

17/02/2013 at 22:09
Well done bigeater, I can only dream of being able to do that mileage at the moment.
Well earned beer indeed!
17/02/2013 at 23:14

Hi all

Just want to say thanks for all your support , I am feeling a lot happier after reading all your posts . Rakhee it was good to hear of your past experience and Kiwi ... well what can I say you have always been here for us   Black and Tabby got your 'air hug'  Went for a short run today and enjoyed it although my knee was twinging a bit.  Realised that I had made the right decision.  And next year its going to be 'BRILLIANT !!!!!'   But ..... can I still be in our gang if I am not doing a marathon this year pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese !!!  Decided going to do a few 10k's and hopefully Cardiff half. Then watch out London !!

18/02/2013 at 13:32

Pip - of course you can still be in our gang {sends more air hugs}  and next year will be totally brilliant. Lots of time to get everything sorted out, no injury worried etc. Glad you're feeling happier

19/02/2013 at 21:31

Deferred just now

19/02/2013 at 22:07
Pip - at least it's done now. Have a sob, think about what might have been, then pick yourself up, take a deep breath and work out some different goals for this year. Sending more air hugs
19/02/2013 at 23:16
You've taken a brave step, well done.

Now have a break and when you feel ready start enjoying your running again and the hunger for the marathon will return very soon.

If you need a goal which doesnt only involve running then consider a triathlon. I decided to try a triathlon last year, I loved the training and the experience on race day was fab - I'm now hooked and will be doing a few more this summer.
20/02/2013 at 00:57

Hi  have alteady started thinking about next year Mr pippity been really supportive [ he is the sensible one] and must admit already getting a bit excited about next year.  Rakhee we have often talked about triathlons on here big problem for me as I am petrified of water !! I can swim but but would be still swimming soon after everone had completed the race

I figured that yes I probably could have struggled round this year. but seeing as I probably only have one more chance of running it again through the balot, then its best to have a good bash at it, enjoy it and do it in the time I know I am capable [ hopefully of]

still might get some shot blocks to much on even though not doing any mammoth runns Pip + shot blocks = mmmmmmmmm

Hmmm wonder what the rest of the gang is up to Kafeeg. abersnail etc

waves to everyone around

Edited: 20/02/2013 at 00:59
20/02/2013 at 11:31

Rakhee - spot on - a brave thing for Pip to do - we're all very proud of you Pip yes - wonder how all the 'originals' are getting on? especially kaffeeg, as she deferred Brighton this year as well

Pip - totally with you on the triathlon - I've always said if I did a tri I'd have to wear armbands for the swimming part

Kiwi - if you're about, can I pick your brains??? Sorry - its about my well mangled schedule again. Last 2 weeks' long runs have been 16 and then 18. Next week I have a HM. So what length LSR should I do this week? Schedule has 12, but that sounds a bit short , with a shorter run next week as well. I was thinking of 15 - 16?? Does that sound okay?  Also, in the HM what sort of pace should I be running it? LSR plodding pace, marathon pace, HM pace????  Any help, as ever, very gratefully received.

Waving to everyone, jazz hands to those who remember. Found my blue ribbon at the back of the 'running' drawer this morning

20/02/2013 at 11:54

Hi B&T my ribbons still attached to my bag and they will stay there till next year to ! hey maybe we should do a triathlon with armbands, rubber ring [ yes fraid I remember those ] and a float that would be a bit of a giggle

so jazz hand blue ribbony waves to everyone around

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.