VLM 2012 first timers???

4,901 to 4,920 of 5,378 messages
20/02/2013 at 12:03

Ha - I still have my attractive 'aqua running' float that fastens around my middle - we'd look the bees knees (just a pity bees don't do triathlon )

20/02/2013 at 13:06

hee-hee

20/02/2013 at 14:41
Hi!

I have been here keeping tabs on you all but not had much to say. I'm building up my fitness after spending December on the settee with pneumonia. My plans for a Spring marathon went out of the window. Am thinking of a half but I am still only up to running for an hour so it may have to wait till autumn.

Pip - you've made the right decision. We can support each other in 2014 marathon training!

B&T - sounds like it's going well for you. I do miss those LSRs!

Was giggling at the triathlon talk ... the only ones in arm bands and blue ribbons! Found my ribbon the other day but couldn't bring myself to bin it!
20/02/2013 at 21:22

Hi all. Hi Aber Snail. Good to see you back on the thread.

Pip , Well done. You probably feel a sense of relief in a way. next year will soon come round. When we run this year, don't feel you are missing out. You have only delayed it.You will be doing it next year when many others are not. That is not to put people off entering again.

We will hopefully keep this thread going indefinitely !!!!

Black and Tabby

I wouldn't do a really long run before your half marathon. I am helping out one of our club runners at the moment . he is doing the Bath half in 10 days as well as me. He is aiming for a 1.20 or less and I have advised him to do 12 miles this weekend. he was going to do 20 !!!!!! Your half marathon will be intensive enough. I would also have a real go at your half marathon. These tune up races are great. Run it competitively. Once you have done it , it will give you a very good indication of where you are with your marathon in terms of training and fitness. It will also give you an idea of what you will do when you run your marathon. Let me know when you have done your half and we can analyse it etc. If you are unsure if your pacing for the half,just go with the flow. Run it as hard as you can , but within your limits. believe it or not the brain is very good at gauging what pace you should run. It is called teleoanticipation. Your brain sub consciously calibrates everything from your fitness levels, the weather conditions, the distance the lot. It is a phenomenon and one of the amazing things the brain does when running !! obviously you won't start off at a silly pace !!! But you will find that you will feel your way into it. It should be a little outside the comfort zone though and it will work wonders for your marathon and the training. This is the only time in your training that I would advise you to run faster. All your normal training runs should be at a easy/steady pace. 

You already have 16 and 18 miles in the bank. Have a bit of a step back in mileage, race the half and then the following week look at something longer. You should be aiming to do your 20 miler 3-4 weeks out from the marathon, with probably a 19 miler before that. You a re well on top in terms of long run mileage !!

Funnily enough, I am doing a 20 miler this weekend pre Bath, but unlike my running mate I mentioned as important as bath is, London is my biggy

Hope this helps

20/02/2013 at 23:16
Kiwi - that's a fantastic help. Many thanks indeed. Much happier about my half, as I know I'll want to race it and would have been frustrated if you'd said to run it at LSR pace!

Aber - sounds like you've finally recovered from your illness. Hope your fitness comes back quickly Are you *sure* you miss the LSR??! Mad woman
20/02/2013 at 23:46

Abersnail helloooooooooooooo !   glad you are feeling better and that we will be 'training together'  but B&T as well as you will be a seasoned marothoner then !! and going for your third eeeeeeeeeeeeeekkk !!

Kiwi better blooming be keeping this forum going...... there will be lots of panicking and me asking you daft questions next year !  I wonder if this is the longest running forum on here ... bet it is

Have got an entry form for LLanelli 10k that's in June so something to look forward to.  Then a few more 10k's then Cardiff half but hey one race at a time

feeling much better now thanks to you lot ...... what would I do without you ?

21/02/2013 at 20:50

Ask away anytime Pip. That's what we are here for.

22/02/2013 at 22:22
Hi all how has your week been? ive had a terrible week. I've only managed a bike ride of 10 miles and a 5 mile midweek run.
I've got 16miles LSR planned for tomorrow. My buddy I run with can't run until the evening. I'm thinking by that time I might convince myself not to run. Thinking about going out in the morning, around 6am - I'm predicting its going to take me around 3 hrs to run this. Anyone else run that early in the morning or should I run with my buddy?
22/02/2013 at 22:40
Get out and run at 6am if it suits you, youre training for a goal so get out there and do it, forget your buddy, can't find excuses to talk yourself out of it, especially if you know you'll talk yourself out of it. Man up and get on with it! Sorry about the ' tough love' lecture but got to focus on the end goal.
22/02/2013 at 23:09
Thanks bigeater I've just got my stuff ready. Now what do people eat and drink before a morning run?
23/02/2013 at 07:58
Cup of tea, porridge and a banana. Sports drink on the belt. Works for me!
23/02/2013 at 08:25
I nearly always run in the morning. Otherwise I spend the day fretting I won't get out. Plus it makes me feel much better for the day. Hope you had a good run, Rakhee. Wasn't it dark?! I went out at 7.30am. Bit icy.
23/02/2013 at 22:14
Hi I couldn't bring myself to go out this morning but I did go this evening. 16 miles in 3hrs 14 which is slow but it was tough.
My feet are killing and I the toe next to my big toe on both feet are extremely sore!!! Time for a long soak.
How was everyone's runs today?
24/02/2013 at 07:57
hi Rakhee dont forget to smother your toes in vaseline it really helps prevent blisters and sore feet Well done all of you on your mammoth runs x
Edited: 24/02/2013 at 08:02
24/02/2013 at 08:44
Hi Pip thanks for the tip, I've never known about the Vaseline on toes, I'll def be doing that next time.
25/02/2013 at 12:19
Helllllllooooooooooo!
I've not been on here for weeks because I've not been running (had flu and then work 24/7). So what's been happening?

Hello all 'new' people!

Pip - read that you are deferring. Don't feel guilty! You've got to make the right decision for you and to hell with what anyone else thinks. It takes courage to defer. And think how much more you are going to enjoy it next year. And hopfeully I'll get a place with you next year and we can run together! (aka I'll run a couple of hours behind you......)

B&t: 18 mile run?! Whooooooopppppppp! That's what are dreams we made of last year! Sp excited for you that the training is all going to plan.

Well, I ran for the first time in three weeks last week and then did a really really gret 8 mile run yesterday. It's so nice running a nice distance just for the fun of it. Have booked myself into a 'pre marathon training race' although not marathon running, and also booked for a half in April. Then may see if I'll sign up for an autumn marathon.......
01/03/2013 at 16:27

Hi all, and especially HELLO KAFFEEG! Wondered where you'd gone! Glad you're enjoying your running again

Half marathon on Sunday so I feel very lazy not having run today (Friday is usually my 'Long Run' day). All is going well, shins have been twinging but I've worked out its because my calves are tight so I've been rollering & stretching like crazy and thankfully (and fingers crossed!) its hasn't got any worse than twinges. Hoping to have a good run on Sunday - have run so slowly for so long it might feel wierd (and a bit naughty!) to be running at a good (for me) pace.

Kiwi - I've got the right month now - have a good run on Sunday, and hope the runner you're coaching does well as well.

Have lost track now - was someone else racing this weekend as well???? Well if anyone else is - best ofluck to you too!

Waving hello to everyone else - how's everyone's running / training going? Rakhee - how's the toes? Bigeater - how's the long runs??

02/03/2013 at 10:42
Hi all been a good week this week, 5 miles on Monday, 5k speed work with a swim on wed, 9 miles thurs and swim again yesterday. Going out for 13miles on Sunday as its my cut down week then I plan to up it to 18 next week. Toes are recovering but will def coat with Vaseline tomorrow.
Everyone on target? Only 5 more solid weeks of training.
03/03/2013 at 16:57
New half marathon PB of 2:15:54 Took another 2 mins 27seconds off Bristol's time. Very pleased, as it was pretty breezy today, and at least a couple of miles were straight into the headwind. A few unexpected hills (okay - undulations!) in the last couple of miles meant I finally overtook a group of people who'd had to walk up. Feet up now ' ready for my post race snooze

Kiwi - hope you had a good race
03/03/2013 at 19:05
Well done b&t, that's brilliant on your new pb. Makes all the hard training so more worthwhile.

Did 20 miles today on long run. Hit the wall at 18.3 miles and had to walk for a minute but got going again and managed the 20 miles, I'm absolutely knackered now! Pleased to hit that milestone and also have a 19 miler under my belt but still feel I need to get more in before tapering.

Hope everyone is well and post up and let us know how your all doing.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.