VLM 2012 first timers???

4,941 to 4,960 of 5,340 messages
17/03/2013 at 22:50
Hi everyone how's the training going?
I managed to shift the cold pretty quickly and went for 10miles on wed followed by 19 miles yesterday. I felt pretty good considering, legs are extremely sore but I prob could have run another mile. Today is a different story, my legs are really stiff. I've been swimming this morning, stretching and rolling but I'm still hurting. Also I did Vaseline like Pippa told me but still managed to end up with a very ugly black toe which looks like the nail may need to come off!!! I might see docs tomorrow to get them to relieve the pain.
Now working out what training to do next week, should I attempt another long run of 20/21 miles and a final 22 miles week after, or should I cut back next week and do a final 21 before my 3 week taper begins?
19/03/2013 at 09:15

Hi all!

Rakhee - I'd be tempted to cut back this week, do one more long run, then 3 week taper. Don't want to risk injuring yourself at this point. Glad the cold cleared up quickly - and yuck to teh toe nail - you're now officially a marathon runner!

Bigeater - glad the foot's feeling okay. Still take it steady now - don't want any relapses!

Hope everyone else is well and happy???

Doom and gloom in the B&T household. Only managed 2 runs last week (and one of them *wasn't* a long run) due to working, late nights working and waiting in for the British Gas man to fix the boiler. This week, I spent all yesterday waiting for a man to come and quote for a new boiler, today I'm again waiting for BG to fix the boiler (again), tomorrow I have another man quoting for a new boiler, Thursday is the plumber coming to finish fixing the shower and Friday the children are off school for Easter.  REALLY hoping to get just 1 more long run in this week - at some point, otherwise I'll have had the longest taper in marathon training history (5 weeks!!!!)

Keep your fingers crossed all these people turn up nice and early so I can get out running afterwards. And shower in hot water afterwards

19/03/2013 at 21:24

Black and Tabby how's your boiler ???

Rakhee...... owch to toenail must admit I have lost a few toenails, not a pretty sight.

Well back running again yeahhhhhh !! did a very short run on Sunday and did 3 miles tonight, feel completely unfit but........ happy to be running again

bad news ... my stopwatch that I have had eversince I started running is no more well at least the strap broke and cannot be replaced.... very sad but will keep it always ..... silly sentimental pip as I am.  So waiting for new watch to arrive.

waves and smiles to anyone lurking

20/03/2013 at 22:45
Pip - yay to the running, and boooooooo to the watch breaking.
Rakhee - did you decide about your training?
Hello to everyone else lurking
Finally made it out for my last long run! It had to be squeezed between getting the kids out to school, and the British Gas man coming between 12 and 2. So a real race against the clock! Ran round the village and past our house a few times just after 12 in case he turned up, and finally decided not to push my luck too far and stopped at 12:25pm having run 19.1M. That will have to do! Tired legs now, and some very unexpected chafing in an unfortunate place that I'll not go into right now
20/03/2013 at 23:02
Hi

Well done Pip for running again and that's awesome Black and Tabby on your morning run!

I went out for 5 miles yesterday but my legs were still tired from Saturdays 19miles so decided in going to do 10 tomorrow and prob 13 on sat before cranking up the mileage one last time for a 21mile next weekend. What are your thoughts on this?
20/03/2013 at 23:14
Sounds okay to me, Rakhee, but if your legs are still tired, be careful of doing 10 and then 13 so close together. I'm no expert by the way - we need Kiwi to give you his proper advice!
21/03/2013 at 21:13
Oh my gosh - I'm so jealous! All your training is brilliant, you're all going to have brilliant races.
Not long to go now!

Stay safe and healthy.

(B&t -hope the chaffing goes......!)

I'm doing a nice sedate 12 miles on Sunday (if it doesn't snow) ready for my half marathon on 14th. Want a PB.
23/03/2013 at 00:48
Kaffeeg - just need to get out again tomorrow then I'm officially tapering Chafing all gone now, thank heavens! Fingers crossed for a PB for you

Pip - yes thank you, touch wood, boiler all working again now

Rakhee - how's your legs? And toenails??
25/03/2013 at 19:14

Hey everyone, well legs never really recovered until the weekend and I went out for 14 miles which was really hard in the snow.  During the run I started to experince knee pain, a pain I've been noticing a lot recently during my long runs. The pain is dull and above the knee cap. It gradually gets worse and then I stop to stretch and continue. When I start again I have to slightly adapt my style due to the ache and then I'm able to run normally for a while before having to repeat the whole process again. Last week I managed 19miles and Saturday I got to 14 miles.

With only 4 weeks to go I'm really concerned I'm not going to be able to complete the marathon. I'm due to do a finally long run next weekend of 21 miles but am concerned if I do it I might make things worse. I've done 5 long runs over 13 miles, 19 being my longest last weekend.

Is that enough training to get me through or should I grit my teeth and do my final long run?

26/03/2013 at 17:24

Hi all . How is it going ? Apologies for my absence. Have had a couple of issues to sort out over the last week or two. One being a niggling achilles which I picked up on a club run last week which has kept me off all running for the last week. Also trying to help others at the same time from the club. I don't mind at all as  that us what I do. Just kept me busy. Most of you will be looking at tapering very soon if not now !!

26/03/2013 at 17:25

P.S Tapering !!!!!! Very interesting and vitally inportant part of the training schedule.

26/03/2013 at 18:36
Hello all- nearly time for taper madness!
Rakhee- don't push it- did a last 21 miler and regretted it- better to be fit and keeping legs turning for a taper than having to rest completely through an injury

I'm v excited at moment- proud opener of a pair if custom orthotics from profeet in Fulham - that with rest/ stretching/strength training/ hopefully making progress with my Achilles
My local Physio has an alter g antigravity treadmill - means I get to have a little run whilst alowing my Achilles to recover . Fingers crossed x
26/03/2013 at 18:56

Your achiles playing up too Siony ??

26/03/2013 at 19:29
Always my issue- a podiatrist once told me I'm v flexible - I said thank you- only to find it wasn't a compliment !
27/03/2013 at 13:37

Hi everyone

Siony fingers & toes crossed that you can have a little run.... don't go mad

Kiwi oh no not you too .... hope you recover soon, you are not allowed to be injured !!

got my new watch today... after nearly sending out a search party for it ....oooooh it looks very grown up and ummm complicated   bit different from my lovely M&S one that I had for yonks !

I am getting very excited/nervous for you all now, mad tapering bit now..we all went a bit 'odd' last year if I remember and starting stressing about silly things like socks and random other things.    Got to go through that again next year ... watch out everyone around me then

waves to everyone .... while wearing my rather snazzy new watch

Edited: 27/03/2013 at 13:38
27/03/2013 at 19:59

Ran on it tonight Pip ( reps on a grass track and it was tender , but eased off more as it warmed up) so it should be alright. Just have to be careful and sensible. I am sure having a week off all running helped. It isn't fully blown, just something to keep an eye on. I must admit injury wise I have been pretty lucky !!! How's you anyway ??

30/03/2013 at 13:24
Help, im starting to panic that I've not trained enough

My long runs consist of 12, 10, 14, 16, 13, 11, 19, 14 My last long run was meant to be 21 but due to a knee pain I cut it to 14. I've been resting my knee since last Saturday and been keeping up my fitness by cycling. I've had a sports massage and legs now feel great and the knee doesn't hurt anymore. Now with 3 weeks to go should I head out for my final 21 miles tomorrow? Also what training should I be focusing on in the final 3 weeks?
30/03/2013 at 20:07

Hi all Rakhee I am sure you will be fine.... Kiwi is the best one to ask though

Have entered for Llanelli 10k in June am quite excited about that as haven't run properly for ages so can't wait to get some sort of plan going.

how is everyone else ??

31/03/2013 at 17:31
Hi I went out for a planned 21 but had to stop after 5 as the pain in my knee returned. I'm now back home icing and resting thinking my marathon may be over.
I'm considering changing back to my old trainers as I didn't have the pain with them but I've not used them since Jan. I know I shouldn't be trying something new now but I'm thinking this is my last option before having to totally give up my dream of running London. I can't defer as I deferred last year. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
31/03/2013 at 21:38

Rakhee, I'm hardly a veteran marathoner (just getting ready for number 2 at London) but having suffered from knee pain in marathon number 1 last year, REST!!! just give it a week to calm down and don't freak out. You have done the training - and you will get round. If you push it now, you will start with a bad knee and that will get you nowhere... 

Sorry to pipe up with no invite - but I wouldn't want anyone to go through what I did last year!!! 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.