VLM 2012 first timers???

5,061 to 5,080 of 5,367 messages
08/05/2013 at 11:30

Siony - great news - must have been the sunshine helping make it feel better!

Kiwi - are you having a month off running to recover again after London? I'm afraid I've been naughty and am out running again. However I haven't felt like don't any great distance so I've just been enjoying some shorter, faster runs (well, still slow, but faster for me!) I've been looking at some shorter races over the next few months and am looking forward to setting some new PBs (hopefully) - feel very 'bouncy' at the moment (again - must be the sunshine we had!)

08/05/2013 at 22:24

just saying hellooooooooo  and quite chuffed as have now started getting notified when new posts come on yeah !!  still doing my regular short runs, and so far staying injury free and enjoying it !

Siony great news ..... but don't go mad now, listen to Kiwi

oh, oh , B&T you are going to be in trouble for running....... naughty, naughty !!!

Kiwi ....... hi you ok ?

09/05/2013 at 10:45

I was on the naughty step last year as well Pip - I'm used to it! No, I'm being good really, taking it easy, and just enjoying it!

11/05/2013 at 16:02

thanks guys!

Kiwi- I hear you- have been working up to this- I tell you rehab is harder than training!

Have been working hard on  weight- improving strength- shortening my stride and inc my cadence- in cojnunction with my fab orthotics

feels like ive been lerning to run all over again- and whoever said you can maintain fitness with cross training- pah! im now v slow!

but still pain free!!!!!!!

another whoop whoop ( gone a bit silly in the head!)

11/05/2013 at 22:03

Good stuff Siony. As long as you are pain free you can start  to run again. The fitness levels will return soon enough.

Hi Band T. Yes I

am sticking to my month or so off. I am not running for another10 days- 2 weeks.

Hi PIP !!!!!!

12/05/2013 at 20:47

Hellooo! I am getting notifications again too now.  Good to hear from everyone.

Siony - it all sounds very technical.  Where did you get your advice from?

I'm back running again, although only on the flat.  The problem has been my IT band.  I'm trying to limit my running and go to the gym and do a bit of cycling.  Find cycling takes too long to have a decent run out though!  I've contacted my local leisure centre about adult swimming lessons.  I can swim but only breaststroke with head out of the water, so think learning front crawl may help me get the aerobic exercise without damaging my knee any more.  I too wonder about when my fitness levels will return... trying not to think it is old age or my body telling me that doing a marathon last year was just too much!

Big waves to everyone! 

12/05/2013 at 21:47

Hi aber- realy feeling for you - don't give up hope

the best opinion I had was from a podiatrist - at profeet in Fulham ( was a forum recommendation ) but I have seen a few physio aaswell- everyone seems to have slightly different opinions. Think the Physio helped me recover whilst the pod gave me a better insight into why I was injured 

hope your on the mend soon x

12/05/2013 at 22:17

Aber Snail,  I have come to the same conclusion about my fitness level, just seem to be a lot slower than I used to be, although did 4 miles yesterday under 9 min miling so was pleased, but very tired !! I suppose don't really know how much doing London did take out of me.... but will find out I suppose when start training for next Year.   Kiwi is this normal ???  we have a local parkrun that has started up along the seafront ...5km each saturday so thought about signing up for that as would hope that I would then get quicker ...... who knows.  I think gone are the days of my 8 min miles  and I think part of me is a bit worried about pushing myself too much as don't want to aggrevate my knee/hamstring problem

Kiwi help Abersnail and I need moral support

13/05/2013 at 07:22

Hellllllo!

Gosh, aber and siony, your injuries - feel for you.Hope it is onwards and upwards.

Pip - i hope you don't get injured. you'll be fine if you take it slowly, I'm sure. Jazz hands!

I have a half marathon in June so did 11 miles yesterday. And used my new garmin - that's a fab little thing sn't it! I'm hoping to get a PB, so ran at race pace for 40 minutes of the run. And put loads of hills in. Fingers crossed!

My mum is home now after 7 weeks in hospital. So that's god. Going to be a bit of a road for her recovery, but she will recover which is the main thing. 

14/05/2013 at 20:41

Good news about your mum, Kaffeeg.  Hope her recovery continues well.

Siony - thanks for the info.  I found the sports physio helpful although still not cured.  Maybe I should use the foam roller a bit more....

Pip = you are stil super quick!  I can only dream of 8 minute miling.  I can only dream of 9 minute miling too!  I have never been speedy.  I did a park run for the first time last November (and then got ill so not done it since).  It was great and I really recommend it.  As soon as I can start working on my speed, I'll be back!  Running along the seafront sounds nice .... although probably quite breezy!

Anyone out running in this stormy weather?  Glad today was kettle bells and gym day!

14/05/2013 at 21:39

Brilliant news Kaffeeg yeah !!!!! give your mum another air hug from us lot

Abersnail, I was supposed to run tonight, but its been like a monsoon here, got thoroughly drenched feeding horse chickens and puss-cat.  So will go tomorrow ... hopefully weather will improve   Definately going to sign up for Park run I think it's proving quite popular.

Soggy, jazz hand , blue ribbon waves to everyone

16/05/2013 at 21:55

Hi all. I wouldn't worry Pip. You have plenty of time until London next year. Just take your time and the more you do the faster and easier it becomes. Don't be in a rush. Enjoy your 5k races etc. but don't get to concerned about performance at this stage. Just start off with minimal mileage in your training schedule and build up again. Even if it is only 4-5 miles, just take your time at the moment. we can talk about what to do later on in the schedule.

18/05/2013 at 07:30

Well ,after my month off it is time to hit the road again Starting today !!!! prep for marathon number 2 !!

19/05/2013 at 12:27

Hello all- how was your first run back kiwi?

Aber - how is your itb?

Is everyone well? 

3 weeks now and still pain free!!!!!

Heel raises and shorter strides now feel quite natural- but still so tempting it inc my stride when I pick up the pace

Happy running everyone

19/05/2013 at 13:46

Hellooooooooo brilliant news Siony yeahhhh !!!

thanks for the advise kiwi had a run on Friday at 6.00am !!! it was lovely too.  Going this evening when it gets a bit cooler... lovely and warm here today

waves to everyone else

26/05/2013 at 12:47

Waves to all!

Have indulged in a pair of Oakley prescription sunglasses - first run ever where I've been able to see where I'm going! Love them

26/05/2013 at 18:36

Hi Siony. Well done. I have to stick to my 4.99 pair I have Ha Ha !!

Got in 14.5 miles earlier. It was a bit of a slog but there are a number of reasons for this. The bottom line is though it was a good aerobically based marathon training run, so box ticked.

How is everyone esle ?

26/05/2013 at 21:46

Hi everyone......Siony very impressed by your oakley's I would love to wear sunglasses but every pair I try on I just look ridiculous !!  so I am afraid I just have to squint and hope I don't run in to anything or anybody because I am dazzled by the sun.  My running seems to be going ok..although still feel slow, but I am sure that will come.  Doing my long  run tomorrow and looking forward to it.  I am afraid it will be nowhere near 14.5 miles Kiwi  Looking forward to my first 10k race/run at the end of June ..... not run with company for ages.  Hopefully going to get in a couple of park runs.  But want to try and speed up a bit first.

waves to everyone about

Edited: 26/05/2013 at 21:47
27/05/2013 at 09:37

Hi PIp.  Likewise with glasses. I have never raced in them and I don't mind the sun. I only simply wear them for one reason. Insects !! Nothing worse than venturing out for a 20 mile run and getting a fly in your eye after a couple of miles. I see people wearing them when they are running in the winter- Why ???

Anyway. You have probably told me Pip, but you did say you wanted to improve on your time didn't you ?? for next years London. If so , getting 10k races on board on your training schedule is a fantastic move. That will improve your speed no end. if you just want to finish again, it is still a good idea anyway. Tune up races help you to adjust  and get conditioned and used to race  conditions in every respect. So go for it.

27/05/2013 at 15:09

Lovely 5 mile run today 9min mile easy run, did it before it started raining  not very far I know , but I didn't feel exhausted like I have been. Kiwi I would like to improve on last years time, but should do as long as I stay injury free.  Just want to give it my best shot as will probably not get the chance to do it again. I don't really know what I should be doing at the moment trying to get in 4 runs in the week, but just do them all at my usual pace.... should I be trying to do some quicker runs or just keep it steady for the moment ????

pondering Pip x

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.