VLM 2012 first timers???

5,121 to 5,140 of 5,367 messages
13/07/2013 at 17:08

hi any one around, not much running at the moment far too hot, hopefully going tomorrow morning

13/07/2013 at 19:59

Hi all. Been in Turkey for 11 days so have not been around. What's happening ?

15/07/2013 at 08:19

Too hot!!!!  Still been running, but keeping it slow. Kiwi - how hot was TURKEY??

Pip - how's your Mum?

16/07/2013 at 21:47

Helloooooooo just come back from a nice run, has cooled down quite a bit but I still look a bit like a tomato   B&T mum is on the mend ...bless her she is a tough old bird !

Going to have to buy some new shoes, as my right shoe doesn't seem to be that comfortable for some reason ...... wonder if my foot has suddenly grown as my shoe seems a bit tight.......... how odd !!

Kiwi how was turkey.... you should have stayed in the UK.... flipping scorching here !!

17/07/2013 at 22:55

Turkey was great. Got in 6 runs early, by the time I was running back to the hotel at 6.45 in the morning, it was 28 degrees and by mid afternoon it was in the 40s !!! Did a 5 mile run on saturday afternoon here in Somerset and it was hotter running then. Although to run in the middle of the day in Turkey would be absolutely Hellish, too hot !!. I did run a marathon in Finland a couple of years back and that was in the high 20s to low 30s and very humid. It was scorching. You just simply have to run slower. If the temp gets up to 25 and higher the heat does not dissipate from the body into the atmosphere so readily and the core body temp rises, This is not at a dangerous level, it is much higher than this, but it does mean you have to run slower. If the brain does not work porperly, how can the rest of you. The hypothalamus regulates all the temp in the body.Also wear a hat and soak it in water at water stops to keep the head cooler.  AND , interestingly enough, it does not matter how much water you drink really as far as heat illness is concerned.. Dehydration and heat exhaustion are too different things !!  HA HA another lecture, sorry !!!!!!!!!!

23/07/2013 at 22:11

hi where is everyone ??

26/07/2013 at 07:17

Hi Pip.

have been away again. Ran marathon 21 in Germany last weekend and got back in the early hours. How's things ?

27/07/2013 at 21:45

Hi Kiwi, how did you get on ??  well I have entered for Cardiff half.  Got some new running shoes yesterday so looking forward to trying them tomorrow. 

Getting excited about London already even though its age away yet !

Don't know where everyone else is ......... good to hear from you

30/07/2013 at 21:35

Ooh I've not had any email- hope your all well- turkey must have been hot!  Did you enjoy germany?

hows your mum pip?

Been on hols for 2 weeks( alas decorating house) but weather lovely- must be finally acclimatising to heat

happy running everyone x

30/07/2013 at 22:42

Hi again all. Well done on doing Cardiff Pip. It is a fantastic race and a really good idea to get in on board in the marathon training schedule. I loved running Cardiff.

Germany wa fantastic. We ran in a place called Fussen. It was the most stunning marathon route I have ever run. I ran 2.55. It was never going to be my quickest for a number of reasons, but I was more than happy with that considering. Good experience too, My 21st marathon !!

CanI pick all of your brains please. Just doing a little research. What were the first trainers you bought when you first started running ? I wouldn't mind betting they were Asics.Did you have a gait analysis  ? ,and have any of you tried running in minimalist shoes ? Thanks !!

31/07/2013 at 13:36

Hi Kiwi

Cardiff half was much better when you ran the last bit in the stadium it gave you such a buzz  my first pair of running shoes were nike, I didn't go to a proper running shop.... don't think I even bought one size bigger as you are supposed to.  Then after that have always been to a proper running store, they get you running outside along the pavement to check out your gait in a neutral pair, then get you the right shoes.  I stupidly went to  a different place where they did gait analysis on a treadmill, duly bought the shoes and they ended up being the worst ever as I run completely differently outside .... I learnt by my mistake !!  normally wear saucony ones but started having foot pain... so have got some Nike ones now... again went back to my proper shop ... must admit they are brilliant there sorry waffled on a bit there

Edited: 31/07/2013 at 13:47
02/08/2013 at 21:34

No , That is great Pip. Some good info there. Thanks for that. I am having to break my month off after marathon rule. Berlin is looming and I need to get back on the road  this weekend. Will do about 10-11 miles. Luckily I recover quickly. But  would still recommend that anyone else takes a month off. And not have a marathon so close to the one before, like me. Thunder and lightning here now. Love it !! Exciting !!! , or after being in Germany I should say donner und blitzen !!!!

02/08/2013 at 22:24

Kiwi so naughty ...... what have you always told us ????  I hate thunder and lightening had a few rumbles round here was going to ride this evening but no chance what time did you do in Germany ? super speedy probably

08/08/2013 at 20:58

Hello hello hello!  How is everyone?

I've not been on here for ages. Not been running starting back next week.   It's been work work work work work for me (self employed = can't say no to work = no time to play). 

Thinking of booking a 16 miler in October to aim for. 

Hope everyone is good and injury free and healthy x x. X x

08/08/2013 at 23:15

Kaffeeg where have you been ??

it's been really quiet on here wonder where everyone else is.

I am doing half marathon in October so training for that now, hopefully it will all go according to plan

waves to everyone xx

Edited: 10/08/2013 at 23:13
10/08/2013 at 23:16

Park Run this morning had a PB of 25.04 and came first in my age category and 9th lady to finish ...... very excited, and dare I say it quite pleased with myself 7mile run for me tomorrow, training for Cardiff half ......... hopefully

where is everyone ? hope everyone is ok xx

11/08/2013 at 14:38

That's fantastic PIp. You are now a podium finisher !! Goos for you. Hi Kaffeeg. Welcome back !! I have just got back from a 16 miler. It was really tough. Just goes to show, 3 weeks ater the last marathon and it is still in the legs. This felt pretty tough. I had had enough and was glad to finish. Have tpo persevere though. More importantly, all niggles and aches are fine. My real concern has been my calf. It has not kicked in because I have not let it. But it did disrupt my training for the marathon in Fussen for a couple of weeks. But it is just not there at the moment, so that is good.

11/08/2013 at 14:39

Goos for you  ??????? I mean good for you. Bloody illiterate computer again !!!

13/08/2013 at 13:28

hello all- wow pip- v speedy

im anything but- there was an interesting article in last rw about which injuries are agrivated by distance and which by speed

it does seem that everytime i start to do any speedwork- achilles niggles- have had to back it off for the last few week

hope im ok for september

any tips anyone? i know im a short arse and that even with the best of intentions I do increase my stride length when i pick up the pace.

kiwi- wrt shoes- i think my first pair was a pair of nike from high street store

think must have found out about sweatshop somewhere- and ran on their treadmill- told i was overpronating and came away with mizuno- nexus

after that -achilles issues- untill i tried the mizuno elixir- and have been with them since ( with a variety of orthosis)

been to various stores- sweatshop and others-do get quite varying advice

Iike pip- dont think you can truely know if a shoe suits you on a treadmill- and for that reason I like sweatshop as I can return/ swop them if im not winning

sadly for me they no longer stock elixir- so I buy from amazon now

13/08/2013 at 18:29

Pip - CONGRATS! That's brilliant! Speedy you!

Kiwi - hope your niggle stays away. You are a trouper with all the marathons!

Siony - poor you still suffering. That mst be frustrating. Have you tried the dreaded aqua running? Might help?

Me: I'd given up for a little while there. Mum was very sick and in hospital for some time (she still is sick and not the same person), other family crap, constant work, has meant it's been a year of rubbish really. but I joined the gym today, whoop! Determined to make exercise a priority again. Not least because I need to wear a bikini in November and right now that is a frightening thought! 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.