VLM 2012 first timers???

5,361 to 5,375 of 5,375 messages
09/07/2014 at 16:25

Hi everyone. Things still going well with the running. Maintaining 20-25 miles a week at the moment. No races in the immediate future but signed up for Manchester marathon in April. I will defer London until 2016 should I be lucky to get in. 

I will just maintain my running at current level until October then step up the mileage and work towards a hopeful sub 4 hour at Manchester. Well it sounds so easy when I say it....lol

13/07/2014 at 14:27

big eater,  I can only dream of a sub 4 hour marathon !

14/07/2014 at 17:09

Hello all- are we enjoying this lovely weather!

feel like I'm acclimatising 

any of you use nike+ when running- seem to have gathered a rather fun gang of American friends - leaderboard makes for good motivation 

Achilles good- odd ankle ache for last week - May have overdone it a bit in new inspires( see above- maybe a bit too much motivation!)

hope your all well 

14/07/2014 at 22:59

Go on Pip. Do the Cardiff 10k. I can look out for you there, Although I haven't entered yet.

17/07/2014 at 20:05

Pip at the moment I can only dream of it also!! Got to have a goal though and the fact I've signed up for Manchester so early hopefully I'll be well trained to achieve.

Siony- never used nike+ but sounds a good motivation tool, maybe look into that. 

Edited: 17/07/2014 at 20:05
18/07/2014 at 23:50

Cardiff entered !!

23/07/2014 at 21:51

well into week 2 of Cardiff half marathon training only 10 more weeks to go !!! flipping heck its been hot here though so resemble a tomato every time I come back from my run.  Kiwi I have entered Swansea 10k ,,,,you should do that ..... its brilliant.  So will slot that one in my training plan.  Have yet to convince Mr Pippity that he would really like to drive me to Cardiff 10k.

Hope everyone is well. xx

11/08/2014 at 18:46

Hello all- hope your all well.

not sure I dare say but I'm in great working order and nearly ready for Canterbury half in 2 weeks 

13/08/2014 at 16:20

Hi siony and everyone else. Great to hear you're doing great siony and things are going well for your half. Any time hoped for? 

Like you I'm in decent running order, currently doing 25-30 miles a week, next event isn't until first week in October which is a tough half marathon which I've avoided in previous years by helping at it but the time has come to man up and face up to it....lol

Edited: 13/08/2014 at 16:21
16/08/2014 at 16:47

Hi

Siony eeeeeeek only 2weeks to your half.  Cardiff half is at beginning of October so still a way to go for me.  Had a bad running week this week what with the tail end of huricane wotsit last Sunday although did manage 6 miles hard work nearly got absolutely soaked by a really monsoon like shower...... but someone was looking out for me and gave me a bus shelter to hide in !

where is Kiwi ?????

18/08/2014 at 20:25

Hi all. Sorry. Here PIP. !! Really apologise for not being back on the thread before. Just crazy with marathon training, coaching, work, daughter back home now from uni , the lot. haven't read back, how is it all going. Plenty to talk about, I have signed up for the Cardiff 10k as a tune up race for the Barnstaple marathon.

Just a little bit of interesting info for any of you that think because you miss a weeks training through any reason. I had a saw sore hip last week and decided after a 60 mile week and multiple long runs ( 13 miles x  2, 15,16,17,18 and 2x20 milers) to rest it for a whole week. meaning my weekly mileage went from 60 miles to  0 !!!! the last long run I did the week before was 10 miles. Once my hip was better I went for a 20 miler on Sunday. First run in a week. It went fantastically. The perceived effort felt about the same, if not easier and it was @ a pace of 6.18, that surprised me more than anything. Bottom line is here, if you have to have a week or so off because of any reason in your training, don't worry. It will do you the world of good . Ignore any of the horror stories of how much fitness you lose over a week of not running.  It is minimal !! I have more than one story of runners having to have a little bit of time off, then going out and running a blinder. I may even incorporate this from now on in my training !!! A mid term break. Food for thought anyway .I have often pondered on this through some of the info I have received from other runners. I may experiment !!!

20/08/2014 at 22:10

Hi Kiwi

interesting reading.  I must admit if I have had a week off and then do a long run on the weekend, I have always felt better for it.  Is it possible that aches and pains are a sign that your body/mind is saying 'stop I need a break' ?? Must admit what you say has made me feel bettter and not so paranoid if I miss a few runs.  Flipping heck though a 60 mile week !! and 6.18 pace......think you deserve a break  follwing Hal Higdon half marathon training plan, but slightly confused that the Sunday before the half I am supposed to do 12 miles...thought I would have done less that week.  Anyway so far I am doing ok.

Waves to everyone around x

23/08/2014 at 19:23

Pip. 12 miles will be fine. There is no intensity to it. Just take it nice and steady. It is not as if it is a 12 mile intensive run. You will have plenty of time to recover from that , esp as it is easy, not fast, and if you have a nice half marathon taper over the week you will be fine. not quite the same as doing a 20 miler and then having to taper for a marathon. What half are you doing ? 

23/08/2014 at 21:23

Cardiff Half Kiwi

Today at 16:58

Good stuff. I have done the Cardiff half once and it is a fantastic race. Always said I would do it again as it was that good. But it clashes with other things.!!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5,361 to 5,375 of 5,375 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.