VLM 2012 first timers???

81 to 100 of 5,340 messages
25/10/2011 at 11:51
went to the norwich road runners at sewell park school college, everyone seemed friendly
25/10/2011 at 11:55
Yes, I've heard of them.  Think they're quite a large club aren't they.  Glad you enjoyed it
25/10/2011 at 12:09
yes i think he said about 200 all together more i think on thursday nights
25/10/2011 at 12:11
Oh, and Len, I meant to say that I've told everyone!!!!   As soon as I found out I was in I sent out a barage of texts, posted a picture of my aceptance on Facebook and called everyone else who I either can't text or isn't on Facebook!    But then I am known for getting a bit over-excited about things
http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/546545/Gallery/Jumpy_Grins.gif

I think that if you believe you can do it and put the training in you won't have a problem finishing.  Besides, when I did my triathlon I was amazed at how supportive everyone was from the very beginning and I would have missed that support if I'd not shouted my mouth off from the rooftops.
25/10/2011 at 13:30

Helo Suarez! Gald to hear I'm not the only....er.....chunky runner I must admit I am hoping to lose weight - I am doing Weight Watchers with my mum at the same time (should be fun, wrking out how many "points" I earn on a long run ).  Unless of course you're 7 foot tal, in which case you're a whippet lol.

I have never been to a running club! They scare me. Not least because I'm run/walking at the moment, and I don't think running for 3 minutes really warrants a running club . Besides which, I can't leave the house in the evenings untilt after half six when my husband gets home, and some evenings are taken up with my daughter's hobbies, which leaves very little time for a club anyway! I'm destined to just run with my dog. 

Ooh TST you are brave!! I really wanted to tell everyone, but I've had a bad experience with a skydive (due to bad weather and then my ill health it had to be postponed over and over again, I still haven't done it, it's booked for June now!) so I don't want to under-achieve again. Gulp. 

25/10/2011 at 13:36

Hi everyone!

I'm still sore from a combat class on Sunday  but hoping to go out for a 20min jog later and then I have yoga this evening so hopefully that will loosen me up a bit!  

I got my confirmation email through today so that is me now officially registered, yikes!  I am surprised at how nervous/scared I feel.   I did the Edinburgh Moonwalk last year which is walking a marathon through the night but this is going to be so much harder!  

I have told a lot of people, all the important ones anyway, so there is no backing out now!    

25/10/2011 at 13:57
Hey Len! i was nervous about running club but actually it was good, i was in the beginners group and we did run 2 and walk 1 min which worked well there were 5 of us, then as you progress you go with the others

We started at 7 which is also gd as friend has a son & i dont get bk from work until 6.30
25/10/2011 at 14:02
Len, sadly not 7 foot tall as I am sure that would mean far fewer strides than will be needed for my 5 foot 11 frame!

I know I will never have the build of a runner but I am sure that things will improve as I up my mileage. I am a bit of a "foodaholic" so the excuse to eat more when I am running and not feel guilty has been my downfall over the last 2 months or so. In that time I have built backup to running 9 mile from 4 but have put weight on!!!

I have just downloaded "myfitness pal" on my android tab which I used to good effect at the start of the year. It allows you to record every thing you eat, with most items already in the database it allows you to check how many calories you have consumed in a day as well as the breakdown of protein/carbs etc. I have realised the idle grazing on Haagan daaz ice cream, tesco's finest cookies & other sweet treats has probably accounted for at least a stone of weight this year!!!
Edited: 25/10/2011 at 14:03
25/10/2011 at 14:10
myfitness pal is great!
25/10/2011 at 14:37

I've not told anyone other than my partner yet!  I was so excited when I got the acceptance mag I don't know how I didn't tell people then.  But I feel like I've cursed a few events this year by telling everyone, so this time I'm taking the pressure off and keeping quiet till the last minute!

I need to shed some weight too, think I'll check out this myfitnesspal app

25/10/2011 at 14:38
Not that I'm sure I can run that sort of thing on my phone, but do you have to weigh everything with myfitnesspal?  I need to loose weight too, but am no good at counting calories and as generally we make everything ourselves I can't go on the calories on the packaging.  Making stuff yourself also makes it difficult to weight things as it's too much phaffing about to weigh everything you put in the dish and then divide it by the approximate amount of portions you get out of it   The weight's gone on from where me and Mr TST have been substituting junk stuff for booze, but I have given that up now too (well, am trying my dammedest to) so hoping to start loosing some weight.  Am sure my portion sizes are too big though
25/10/2011 at 15:06
When I used it earlier this year it was on an Ipod touch, I now have it on android but they also have a website http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ (dont know if it is the same as the app).

As to weighing things and making things yourself I would say it depends on how accurate you want to be. I think you will find most ingredients in there but it may be a bit fiddly to include every little thing, for example I was making vedge soup and I would just look up home made vedge soup & hope it was somewhere near the nutritional values as I made.

It worked for me as it just made me think about what I was eating and when I fancied the extra cookie or what ever I would think that's another 2 miles!!! I intend to use it for the next month or so to try and get out of bad habits and into better ones but it will only be a guideline and I wont lose sleep over not filling it in on a busy day.
25/10/2011 at 15:24
Portion sizes - that's my downfall for sure!
27/10/2011 at 20:14
New pair of shoes christened on 3miler in dark and rain tonight. Lost the floppy bits of hair that were bugging me too with a trip to hairdressers. Running happy now!
28/10/2011 at 09:58

Well done for getting out in the dark and the rain RunningRaRa!

I went for my gait analysis yesterday and I'm a total neutral shoe, so that makes life easy!  It's what I've currently got, but the guy said my current shoes are knackered.  Bit like me I guess   He said as I've not had any problems previously then I should tick with the Mizuno shoes as they obviously suit me and that I need to pay upwards of £80 (RRP) to make sure I get ones that are suitable for running marathon training distances.  So now just need to have a look about on the interwebby and see where I can get the best deal

Did a 5 miler yesterday - hubby dropped my part way home from our trip into Norwich to get the gait analysis done - and it nearly killed me!  It's been my first week training properly in a while and it's taking it's toll on me a little.  Three runs a week doesn't seem a lot, but I'm also doing three swims, a gymnastics class and a gym session!  It'll be tiring for the first couple of weeks, but worth it in the long run.  Have my 'drop back the mileage' week on Saturday so that will help and of course we get an extra hour in bed on Sunday!

LWJ
28/10/2011 at 10:41

Hi everyone!

Just found this forum and I think I'll be spending a lot of time on here leaving up to VLM 2012, cos there's some fab tips on here!  Thanks.

It'll be my first marathon.  I did a half in July this year and broke my foot so am only just starting training again.  Joined a gym this week to build up cardio and core strength and also joined a running club to get me motivated to go out running in the dark.

All sounds positive, except for my addiction to Chinese takeaways...

28/10/2011 at 10:43

Morning!

Congrats on new shoes TST! I love a new running shoe I thnk my folks are going to get me some for xmas - the ones I have are fine but I'm not sure they're up to anything very long distance. Never hurts to have options, right?!

I went out and did 30 mins of run/walk again this morning in the dark - it was lovely I do like having the world to myself (give or take a dog walker or two). 

RaRa - never underestimate the irritation of floppy hair - I'm sooo desperate for a haircut!! I used to have v short hair and I'm growing it - it's currently too long to be short and too short to tie back - it's driving me NUTS!! I'm *this* close to having it all chopped off again!!

28/10/2011 at 11:50
Tst I'm so jealous of your neutral gait! At gait analysis I told them beforehand that I was an over pronator. I'm coming back from a knee injury and extensive physio. By the end they were trying to sell me physio equipment and seemed surprised I could even walk never mind run!
Sad though I felt truly pampered with it all. Other women do handbags and manolo's...I'm made up with my £80 mizunos!
28/10/2011 at 12:00

Hi, can anyone give me any advice on shoes? I have been really getting into minimalist/barefoot running, and my merrell barefoot trail shoes are a great success (furthest i have been on them is 7.5 miles so far). However I don't think they would be suitable for any lengthy road use, so i was wondering what road shoes to buy? I have spotted inov8 ones online, but would appreciate recommendations? I don't know but i imagine any racing flats would work??

ta muchly

28/10/2011 at 16:01
Respect the barefoot thing and would love to be able to go down that route. However I would suggest that if you were planning on running 26.2 on road more support MAY be required to minimise risk of injury. Best advice would be to get gait analysed and take expert advice on which shoes to choose.
81 to 100 of 5,340 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.