VLM 2012 first timers???

141 to 160 of 5,390 messages
08/11/2011 at 11:48
Hi All,
I got a confirmed charity place yesterday after 3 years of knock backs through the ballot )))))) very excited, something I've wanted to do for a long time! Here's to 6 months of winter training!

Mike
08/11/2011 at 12:01
Mike who are you running for , how are you getting on with fundraising ? Whats your minimum you need to raise ?
08/11/2011 at 13:06

Congrats Mike, that's excellent news. 

I got a ballot place but am still going to run for charity, still not sure who though. I'd like to run for a smaller charity that maybe wouldn't have representation... 

All ideas welcome...

08/11/2011 at 13:11
Thanks and congratulations to you too. That sounds like a good idea with the small charity, I guess maybe the first place to start would be to look locally, a hospice or something like that?

I'm running for Phabkids and haven't started yet so better get cracking!
08/11/2011 at 13:15
Hey mike me too !!!!
08/11/2011 at 13:18
Cool, have you started yet Badoo? It's a scary looking target at this stage )
08/11/2011 at 13:49
Yeah I have started not got very far, up to 220 !!!
09/11/2011 at 09:08

Morning all! Great fundraising .

I've been out again this morning. It's going to be a shock to run in daylight again at some point . Yawn.

09/11/2011 at 09:11
Good for you Len, I've never been able to do the early morning runs, I think it's mainly cause I don't like running on an empty stomach. Do you get up and eat something first or just go straight out?
Edited: 09/11/2011 at 09:12
09/11/2011 at 10:27
Hunky Chunky. A little jam sandwich has been recommended to me for early morning training if you can't stomach anything else but sometimes I just go for the handful of raisins/driesd fruit.
09/11/2011 at 12:32

For anything under an hour (which is currently everything lol!) I just go straight out. As long as you have eaten properly the night before, you'll be properly fuelled. And I like running with an empty stomach. Somehow I am going to have to figure out refuelling for long runs though, I guess!

For longer wekend runs I used to have half a banana. I can't really eat any more than that and run!

09/11/2011 at 12:45
That's interesting Len, I'm hopeless if I haven't had something to eat before I go out, I actually feel quite faint and have no energy at all. If it's a short run I don't need much more than half an apple or banana, but for long runs I try to eat something substantial 2 hours before I go out. I find all that difficult in the morning though, so I tend to do all my running either at lunchtime or in the evening. I would much prefer to get it out of the way first thing in the morning but it just doesn't seem to work for me, I've also read that the body works better in the morning but ho hum. The other thing that puts me off early morning runs is waking up my 6 yr old daughter and p*ssing the wife off
09/11/2011 at 14:21

I have a 7 year old daugter who is under strict instructions to Stay In BED, and a very understanding husband lol! I specifically got his approval when my marathon place came through, so that he couldn't complain at a later date .

It's odd though isn't it? I can't run in the evenings at all, I feel sluggish and my legs are like lead!

09/11/2011 at 19:52
I've got a charity place running for Oxfam. Furthest i've run is the Silverstone Half Marathon, but training is going good so far. Really excited for the big run already
10/11/2011 at 09:15

Orchard boy , I would say I was excited yet , still have the feeling of dread an terror as to how on earth I am going to run that far !!

What time is everyone hoping to finish in ???

10/11/2011 at 12:34

Morning all! Just stumbled on this thread and it you sound exactly the bunch of people I need to be chatting with! I very fortunately got a ballot place on my first time of applying (I know I know, saying that is just like asking for a shedload of hate mail from people who've been applying unsuccessfully for years!)

It will be my first VLM, and my first marathon. I still feel faintly sick when I think about it, but then I felt like that before my first 10K and before each of my HMs and I managed them okay so hopefully I wil be okay.

Must go back and read properly, but hello to you all!

10/11/2011 at 13:28

Never ran a marathon before, so slightly scared at the prospect of London.  But what worries me even more is that I think I am slightly obsessed about down-loading running plans.... got 20wks, 16 wks, 14 wks...... now I am really confused !!!   which one to choose decisions, decisions.  HELP !!

10/11/2011 at 13:41

Hello back to everyone.. 

Badoo - I am wondering whether to do an intermediate plan and aim  to get around in about 4 - 5 hours, or to just do a get me round plan and aim to do it in whatever time it takes me  

not sure which level of insanity I've decided on yet , and this is my first marathon so I might be completely over-estimating my leg power... 

how about you? (or anyone else?)

Philippa - I've been doing the same, except I also have the 24 week plan as well

I got a really good suggestion off another board (the running bug one), which was to do a 16 week plan, but over 18 or so weeks to allow for any problems... think I might do that... 

11/11/2011 at 19:57
I think doing a plan whereby you have a few weeks spare is a good idea and obviously putting in miles now to build a base ... I am doing a 10 mile LSR tomorrow making it a 30 mile week, which will be the most I have done in a week since April when training for a half marathon.

One problem I have at the moment is I was hoping to be losing some of my excess weight, but am always starving so if anything have put more weight on. The runs following days I have tried to eat less I seem to run out of gas quickly, is it a good idea to practice running with less fuel than normal or is that likely to cause problems as well as sloweer times?!
LWJ
12/11/2011 at 13:56

Afternoon everyone,

I've got a target time of under 5 hours in my mind, but to be honest, I'll be happy to finish the marathon regardless of time!  I'm doing a 10k in Stratford next Saturday so I'll see how my times are looking after that! 

Suarez-7, I've been absolutely starving since I started training.  I've no idea what the correct thing to do is, but I've been making sure I've got a stock of nutri-grain bars and lots of fruit handy, so I can eat that whenever I'm hungry.  If I try to eat less, I just end up with mad cravings for Chinese or pizza which I eventually give in to. 

Glad to read that I'm not the only one who feels sick whenever thinking about the marathon!! 

141 to 160 of 5,390 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.