VLM 2012 Outsiders Thread

For anyone who doesn't fit anywhere else

201 to 220 of 648 messages
01/01/2012 at 10:17

Yes leedslass -it is this year you are doing it

had a whiskey fueled 14 miler this morning. A slow 2:31 but pretty pleased to have done it at all.

01/01/2012 at 13:57
Well done! feet up recovery for the rest of the day!
02/01/2012 at 23:22
So far so good with 2012 training plan! Stuck to it on Day1 anyway.
What a beautiful day it's been here in N Yorks today. Had a brilliant walk on beach this aft. You have to take advantage of winter days like those don't you?

So, after 8 miles tempo today, it's intervals on Weds. Looking at the weather, think that might be a treadmill session! Proper training plan now. No chopping and changing and no excuses!

I'm really upbeat today about the whole marathon thing. I was a bit iffy about it yesterday when I woke up to the realisation it's THIS year.
Long may my positive vibe continue.

Happy running folks.
03/01/2012 at 09:05

HAPPY NEW YEAR OUTSIDERS!!

Managed to get my first two runs of 2012 done, but the weather at six o'clock this morning made it a bit of a challenge. At least it was quite mild.

03/01/2012 at 12:51
Happy New Year!!!!

Well done Sacco - easy 5 for me yesterday...trying not to let my post-Christmas enthusiasm get the better of me. 21 weeks til Edinburgh!
03/01/2012 at 13:22

I'm not sure how long I've got left. I only look as far ahead as my next run.

I looked at the VLM countdown over Christmas and, as far as I was concerned, it only said "too soon".

03/01/2012 at 13:26

Looks like all are really getting their foot into training again

well done leedslass , mitiog and Sacco

Happy New YEar all of you (if I hadn't siad it before)

good 5 miler today in the wind and rain -enjoyed it "after" -lol

04/01/2012 at 10:15

Happy New Year outsiders and welcome leedslass

Running is a bit pants at the moment.

Did an easy 3 miler NYE and it felt like I had never run before in my life. I thought that I just hadn't quite recovered from the previous Tuesday's 10 miler but when I got back my hip started to feel really sore.

Was planning to run 8 miles on 2nd but was stil suffering quite a bit. Plodded an easy 2 miles just to test it last night and it doesn't feel too bad today -  at least nothing is hurting while I am actually running. I've swapped back to my old Asics for the time being  and will do plenty of IT band stretching.

If that doesn't work we have a physio at work but it is very frustrating at this stage, especially after the 10 miler going so well the other week 

04/01/2012 at 12:18

Screamy I'm exactly the same - I feel like a beginner just now and my shins and knees are aching like achey things - but unfortunately when I'm running!

Happy New Year one and all and here's to things getting betterer instead of worse

04/01/2012 at 12:45

Afternoon All,

Good to see everybody being so upbeat about their training. I'm just concentrating on endurance atm, so far this year I played rugby on Sunday, (Which killed me. Couldn't sprint, couldn't run, couldn't tackle and spent the whole game at tighthead. I'm 5'7" and weigh 11 1/2 stone, not your average prop size!), 19.5m on Monday (Which strangely enough felt a damn site easier than 80 minutes of rugby, but I didn't have quite the same evening before hand of course..... ), 10m last night and a 5m recovery run this morning. Not sure how much I should push it for the rest of the week as I have an Oxford League XC race for WHH on sunday, 10K. I don't want to just jog round as I'll be a counting member of the team, but I also don't want to cut back on mileage in this endurance phase.... I also don't want to push a knackered body so hard that I break something......Me or Us....Me or Us....

04/01/2012 at 13:14
Chimney wrote (see)

I'm 5'7" and weigh 11 1/2 stone, not your average prop size!

Wow, you're not kidding - that's more fly half size isn't it? No wonder your rugby games are so punishing 

Hey I bet you're good at getting the lids off pickle jars though?  

Minardi: my knees don't like stairs - especially going down them - when I'm training over longer distances but they don't play me up in any other way, thankfully. As you say let's hope things get betterer rather than worserer 

04/01/2012 at 16:31

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?dt=2&UTN=186742&V=1&SP

Just a little heads-up for anyone that might feel in need of a bit of a boost at mile 17

Edited: 04/01/2012 at 16:32
04/01/2012 at 16:37
Wicked, thanks Screamy! Was just coming on to point people in our direction
Edited: 04/01/2012 at 16:37
04/01/2012 at 16:38

Hi all

wow Chimney -that rugby would take it out of you. I found the same when I returned to judo and wrestling a few years ago. I felt every bone on my runs. Stopped it as was getting old and got sick.

Minardi - my kness used to suffer but since doing yoga ther are a lot better. Flexibility is a real must for me now I am over 21.

Screamy, my wife was wondering where she could perch when I do the run. Perhaps the RW support wuld have her with 'em (depends who is there I guess).

04/01/2012 at 16:41
She's more than welcome Stu, the more the merrier! Promise we'll look after her
04/01/2012 at 16:44
Sister Bad Habit wrote (see)
She's more than welcome Stu, the more the merrier! Promise we'll look after her

thanks Sister
04/01/2012 at 16:51
Thanks for the heads up screamy. Now I've just got to convince my wife to stay in one place rather then follow me round the course.
04/01/2012 at 20:01

Hi everyone, hope the training is going well and the niggles are just a result of "getting back in the groove" after the turkey & mince pies!

The weather has been so dreadful I've been forced indoors today - my first ever treadmill hill session!

10x2 min repeats with 2 min recovery - 4%incline and speed set at 9kph. Didn't really know what to start on but the last 2 reps were hard but not impossible so think I got it about right. I listened to a podcast from Marathontalk about treadmill training. Recommendation was to alter incline but not speed so went for steady pace. Managed just over 4 miles including 5 min warm up & cool down. 

Quite enjoyed it so if weather keeps on like this I will include it every couple of weeks - share it with interval session! There aren't many hills where I live so hopefully this will help if I can manage Leeds 1/2 Marathon in May (VLM recovery dependent!)

Recommend Marathontalk site BTW. Weekly podcast, training tips & motivation. All free to download. The Jantastic challenge they're running is great.

Training mojo is quite "up" at the mo. Long may it continue.

Happy Running Folks

05/01/2012 at 08:10

Morning all, 

Hi Sister Bad Habit (great name ) thanks for popping in. I've never done VLM support but I think it would be a good place to be for the rellies. Lots of friendly people, easy to find and on a relatively quiet part of the course.

I did Yoga for a while too Stu but found it didn't help. Nothing to do with running really but downward dog would give me awful problems with my neck and shoulders - being pear-shaped, my skinny arms really aren't designed to support my entire bodyweight. To be fair I have been told that I am "too flexible" and should do Pilates rather than  Yoga - never got round to it though.

If this wind keeps up I'll have to stay in and get on the bike tonight

05/01/2012 at 09:01

I've been meaning to mix in some cycling into my training but the weather hasn't really made it very appealing.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.