VLM 2012 Outsiders Thread

For anyone who doesn't fit anywhere else

21 to 40 of 648 messages
18/10/2011 at 09:02
As good a reason as any TriPlod
18/10/2011 at 11:19

Hi everyone. I'm another one in her mid 40s, been running about 5 years. Like Chimney I'm not really drawn to big crowds but just wanted to do this one once to see what's like. I don't know whether I will enjoy it or not. Obviously I hope I will, but I can also imagine finding the crowds both frustrating (people blocking your way) and annoying (people shouting at you to come on when you're feeling knackered). We shall see.

I'm  a ballott place but a couple of people have already offered to give some money for something so in a quiet way I will accept anything that comes in without actively chugging. There is a small local charity that ships returned unused prescription medicines that would normally go into landfill to health centres in rural parts of central and southern Africa.They operate with minimal overheads but do something  very worthwhile so I'm happy to give them a few quid if I raise it. Enjoy running in the wind today everyone!

18/10/2011 at 11:25

I don't know whether to raise money or not. I've done a lot of fundraising in the past coupe of years (including a skydive which got cancelled this year so I'm not even doing it til June).... but it does seem like a wasted opportunity when people seem so willing to give when you're doing the London Marathon. I always raise for the local cancer hospital (cos I work there!). I'll think about it. Maybe wait til February/March and see where I'm at and how I feel.

I ran at 5.45 this morning, it was cold, dark and windy!! I guess that's it - it's winter!! 

18/10/2011 at 11:58

Brrr!

I love running in the cold though - very invigorating! I'll be plodding 3 miles or so tomorrow morning - I'll wait till it gets light first though

That sounds like a good cause Que Sera.

If you decide you'd rather not have people shouting at you, don't wear your name on your vest - job done. I had "Screamy" on mine last time which people seemed to find rather amusing so I'll probably do that again. I imagine it must be pretty unwelcome being yelled at when you're going through a real bad patch though.

I never actually experienced that because a lady I'd been talking to on RW caught up with  me and was struggling too, so we ran/walked/limped the second half of the race together - we were too busy chatting and enjoying ourselves to think about how far we had left to go. Also I think once I "let go" and forgot the time I was aiming for I just relaxed and got on with it.

Enjoying it is more important that anything else - there are plenty of other marathons  where you can focus on your PB if it doesn't pan out on the day.

Edited: 18/10/2011 at 12:04
18/10/2011 at 13:26
I loved London - the atmosphere was incredible. I think Edinburgh will be different though but since I do most of my running in Rural Wales I'm used to tranquility when I run so the race was a bit different. The crowds definitely helped though

Did some hills last night. Seemed ok. Managed more reps than I thought I'd do. I'm overweight but hill reps seem to be less hard on the legs than normal intervals. Not sure why - maybe because you run them much slower?

Will try and get a few miles in after work. Well done on the early run Len 2. I'm hopeless at running in the morning. Legs aren't awake til about 10am!
18/10/2011 at 13:45

My alarm goes off at 5am each day. If I don't get out before work, I don't run because by the time I get home I just want to eat and curl up......

I'll hopefully raise a few quid for the Dogs Trust. Our last few dogs have come from there.

Need to try and keep off the rugby field this year, noty sure the body can take the hits much more and still be able to run!

18/10/2011 at 14:02
Chimney wrote (see)

If I don't get out before work, I don't run because by the time I get home I just want to eat and curl up......

Oh I soooo know that feeling!

I'd probably do the same if I could, but I get up at 5.35 just to get to work while the tubes are still relatively civilised.

18/10/2011 at 14:27

Yep - that's why I run early too! After work I pick the kid up, then I'd have to wait till my hubby got home before I could run, and by then it's 7pm and that's just NOT going to happen!! Yaaawn! Evenings are for comfy clothes and tv!

Although if I had to get up even earlier than you, Scream, I'd probably cry! 5.30 is about my limit!

19/10/2011 at 15:09
Ooh, that was a fresh and invigorating 3 miler this morning
20/10/2011 at 20:09

Round my way it was a lot fresher this morning than yesterday.

As much of a shock as it was in spring suddenly going from very cold to nearly 30 degrees over night. I'd been used to training in very low or minus temperatus over the winter. Did the White Horse Half at the start of April at the time when it warmed up over night and suffered greatly, just wasn't used to the heat. Started well but just wilted. Came home with a race PB but had been faster in training (for a mara) so had expected better.

Hoping London being at the end of April means I'd have seen some heat before it.....

24/10/2011 at 11:55

Yuk. Stinking cold and associated horrors means I've missed 2 or 3 runs now. Hoping to get out tonight if I don't feel too rubbish.

Mitiog - rural Wales! You lucky thing. Where do you live?

24/10/2011 at 13:34
Que Sera Sarah,

Live in west Wales - coast ahead of me, mountains behind. It's beautiful!

Did an easy 5 on Saturday to complete my first week of 10K training and felt good to be back runnin again.

Hope the cold gets better
25/10/2011 at 08:48

Very jealous mitiog

One thing I will say about where I run (Northolt) is that there are plenty of choices for routes - hilly ones, flat ones, a bit of both, the canal towpath - so though it's not scenic it is great in that respect.

Hope you are feeling better Que Sera, if you don't feel up for runnning perhaps a walk will do you good. I am going to be doing a lot of walking as cross training between now and April, I really like it - time on your feet, low impact and you can be a bit nosey at the same time, especially when people have put their Christmas decorations up 

Plodded 5 miles on Sunday - was yuk, I think I ran a bit too soon after breakfast , but I did it - it's the furthest Ive run since the beginning of May

25/10/2011 at 13:29
I worked in London for 6 months recently and it was horrible trying to run through loads of traffic and pollution. Plus you'd think in a big city there'd be loads of running clubs, gyms, pools, etc but everything seemed so far away by the time I'd done my hour's commute home I didn't really feel like getting to the gym. So yes, it's lovely to be back in Wales and I'm very much enjoying the rather scenic views from my office window! Good to be back training with my old club too - we did 400's and 800's last night (ouch!) but it's good for me....honest!!!!

How's the cold, Que Sera?
25/10/2011 at 16:42
I'm bored. I want to go home, have a short plod and a shower and then eat for England
28/10/2011 at 08:12

...So I didn't plod on Tuesday but I did go out and walk for 4 and a half miles. Last night I plodded 2.3 and it was lovely. 5 miles Sunday and that's the first month's training done.

So far so good

28/10/2011 at 13:17
Well done Screamy I did 15mins easy and 15mins a bit faster last night so "long" run of the week today or tomorrow - just 6 miles and that's week 2 of 10K training done. Been training by heart-rate and I'm finding that I'm getting faster for the same heart rate compared to a few months ago.

Wish the weight would shift then I'd be zipping a long. Fat chance. But I'v eaten well for 2 weeks now
28/10/2011 at 16:38

Good stuff mitiog

I keep telling myself that shifting a stone means I'll have less to carry around but it's sooo hard at this time of year - I just want to eat casseroles and cheese and chocolate and biccies....sigh!

Hey that's a good idea - I could get a pacer to run just ahead of  me with a plate of sausage and mash - guaranteed PB!  

29/10/2011 at 09:56

hi guys hope u dont mind me joinin in...  finally after 4 years got a ballot place. will be my first marathon doin half tomorrow though.  had probs with hip bursitis so trainin gone to pot so tomorrow cud go badly!

am a plodder in mid forties started running at forty , finding cant shift weight either think running makes me eat more....

am gonna raise some money for charity because i want to not because i have to so feel quite relaxed about the fundraising side. am worried about the crowds on the day and the distance as only ever run up to half mara an that involves walk breaks!

29/10/2011 at 16:39

You'll be fine Melmar! There are still five and ahalf months to go.

I'm still snotty but am back running again - 8 miles this morning which I actually quite enjoyed although my legs felt tired in the last couple of miles.

Mitiog - so jealous. I lived in Lampeter for 5 years and miss it terribly. I love west Wales. Not many flat training runs for you though I imagine.

21 to 40 of 648 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.