VLM 2012 Outsiders Thread

For anyone who doesn't fit anywhere else

141 to 160 of 648 messages
02/12/2011 at 16:32

Not sure Sacco - I've run 1.05.53 for a 10k as an 11 minute average miler so 10.45 should come up a bit quicker? 

Solution = Mitiog runs 10k and reports back  

*Screamy is now drooling over curry recipes after a conversation wth a colleague*

02/12/2011 at 17:31
Que Sera Sarah, if you can run 10 miles, you'll have no problem with a half.
02/12/2011 at 18:49
But if I can average 10:45 on individual miles with 3 min jog recoveries will I be able to do 6.2 of them with no jog recoveries??????

I reckon I should do Que Sera's half and she can do my 10K...I'm much better at pacing longer runs anyway When is it, Que Sera?

*passes Screamy some mini stollen bites*
03/12/2011 at 12:44

Thanks Iklebutn and mitiog. It's on the 18th near Wellingborough. I'm not too worried because it was only intended to keep me on track, but I didn't run the 10 miles as easily as I had hoped... partly due to taking time off with lurgy a week or two back.

Mitiog, you have been running consistently for the past month or two and are better over a longer course - a 10k should be great now because you have a mile or two at the start to get settled in and relaxed. i wouldn't be surprised if you were better when going at the same speed than when trying to adjust between a particular pace and a recovery.

Really nice weather now - might force the kids out for a walk this p.m.

03/12/2011 at 13:50
Dare I say it but am feeling v good- 2 months training and all in workin order! Father Christmas is going to bring me a garmin too!
Tempo run today and long run tomorrow with heavy rain forecast for Kent! Happy runnings
03/12/2011 at 16:30
Thanks Que Sera - I'm nervous about the race but also really looking forward to it. Haven't raced since VLM 2010. I week to go!

I did 12 miles with the Killer Hill in the middle this morning which went well considering the massive headwind for the last 6 miles. I finished about 1 min slower than before so considering the conditions I was chuffed with that.

Yay for Father Christmas Siony!!! I have a very old garmin with no heart rate monitor so I tend to use it for intervals and measuring routes then switch back to the heart rate monitor for runs where I need to keep my HR either above or below a specific value. Ideally I'd like a HR monitor and GPS in one watch. I could wear both watches I suppose but then I'd look like Doctor Spock with a gadget on each arm!!!!
05/12/2011 at 08:36

Morning Outsiders

Well I wasn't expecting to run at all this weekend but in the event managed 5.7 miles yesterday which I was really pleased about. Felt about a ninety dragging myself round but my time wasn't too bad considering I'm not 100% . My chest is being a bit unforgiving this morning but that's probably more to do with the freezing cold - lovely and fresh though- - brrrr!

Hope everyone else's weekend plods were successful.

I'm quite happy with the way training's going so far too Siony - I just need to stop eating so much

05/12/2011 at 08:38

I love my old garmin, not that I use it particularly constructively.

I finally got out for a run yesterday, it felt "challenging" so I thought I was doing well. But when I looked at my pace it was the same as every other time I'd done that route.

That'll teach me.

Mitiog - you could wear both on one arm.

Edited: 05/12/2011 at 08:38
05/12/2011 at 08:41
Don't worry about eating too much Screamy, it's the christmas season (sort of). Think of it as storing up fuel for the miles ahead.
05/12/2011 at 11:52
Sacco di Noci wrote (see)
Don't worry about eating too much Screamy, it's the christmas season (sort of). Think of it as storing up fuel for the miles ahead.

Yes I like that
05/12/2011 at 16:49
morning all *waves*  Sorry for my absence, i'll get someone to write a note but while they're scrabbling for a pen, if someone finds my mojo can I have it back please?  I have a serious case of the CBAs.  I have gone from running on average 25 - 30 miles a week (when not training for anything in particular) to being lucky to scrape into double figures.  And 3 weeks to go before VLM training starts.....
06/12/2011 at 09:07

Come on Minardi!

I feel your pain (or apathy). I find it hard at the moment to drag myself out. I don't mind the weekends when I can do my long runs in the light, but going out in the dark, cold evenings after a long day at work to go round and round the local streets is hard to do. But on the positive side, lots of people have their christmas trees up already and their curtains open so it's good for nosy parkers like me. And you can promise yourself something nice when you get back in - a hot bath followed by a glass of wine perhaps? I wonder why I'm not getting any thinner.

06/12/2011 at 10:48

Oh yeah, one thing I love about running at this time if year is nosying at other people's Christmas lights, it takes your mind off your legs!

I do fancy a plod tonight but every time I go out in the cold I cough like a forty-a-day smoker so I'm wondering if I should wait until Thursday when the weatherman said it would be warmer - allegedly.

Then again, I made pasta carbonara at the weekend and have some of all the ingredients left over including a lot of parmesan and pancetta so I'll feel less guilty if I do plod first, And I can get my Helly Hansen top and woolly hat out and feel like a well 'ard extreme sports type .... hmm.....decisions...

07/12/2011 at 13:31
First Christmas Dinner tonight so might be on the plod first too!

Disappointed that the Asics Super 6 things hasn't got ANY slower runners in it....but very grateful for this thread..

Hope everyone else is doing ok this week. Work is manic but got out of ra hilly few miles on Monday. 10K on Sunday - eek!
07/12/2011 at 14:31

Hi Mitiog -  mine's tomorrow afternoon, should be OK if I go easy on the Prosecco

Good luck for your 10k!

OK I've finally made a decision about sponsorship - I've decided I'm running for the London Air Ambulance and have just got in touch with them about it.

07/12/2011 at 16:01

Sorted!

All I need to do is wait for my vest and hopefully for them to arrange a photo on the helipad for my justgiving page

All seems a bit more real now though - eek!!!!

07/12/2011 at 16:08
Great news, Screamy Once it gets to the New Year it'll seem a bit more real to me. You hold off the Prosecco if I hold off the mini stollen bit, right?
07/12/2011 at 16:35

Um...not sure I can make that promise mitiog. I've just stuffed my face with a red velvet cupcake with cream cheese frosting

OK justgiving page all set up...I guess that means I really HAVE to do it now OH...MY...GOD!

Edited: 07/12/2011 at 16:36
08/12/2011 at 13:37
You'll be fine Screamy, just relax! 60mph gusting wind here and lots of rain so may not get out tonight.
08/12/2011 at 15:49

Seems OK here in London Mitiog - I work on the 7th floor and can normally hear the wind whistling but it seems pretty quiet at the moment. How was your Christmas dinner last night?

I must say I've not had a "canteen" Christmas lunch in many a year so I was impressed at how much the quality has improved - not sure about the pud though

Feeling a bit pink in the cheeks after the old Prosecco I must say 

141 to 160 of 648 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.