VLM 2012 Outsiders Thread

For anyone who doesn't fit anywhere else

1 to 20 of 648 messages
17/10/2011 at 12:38

Hi all,

I thought I'd start a thread for those who don't feel they don't quite belong on any of the other VLM threads. First a bit about me: 

I'm not a beginner, I'm not a VLM virgin and I'm not a sub 3, 4, or 5 hour runner.

My first VLM (FLM) was in 2007 when blisters and heat meant I crawled in in 6.02  when I was hoping for about 5.20. This time I'll be 5 years older and creakier. I know I wont be able to rack up hundreds of miles in training because my body won't let me. I know I'll get bored and cranky but I do know I'll have a whale of a time come Aprill 22nd and I hope to finish about 45 minutes faster than last time.

So, if there's anyone else out there who doesn't quite fit anywhere else this is the place to come. Pull up a chair, have a virtual Hob Nob, tell us your story and let's share the experience.  

Screamy x

17/10/2011 at 13:10
screamy I am not even doing it but will watch you and here's to a good one for you!
17/10/2011 at 13:12

ps I have done 9 london, times vary from 6.20 down to 4.18, have never managed sub four but am cheerleader to sub four cos I dont actually think I ever will do it!

Good luck with your training

17/10/2011 at 13:15
Thanks Wabo
17/10/2011 at 13:28

Hello. I'll join you, if I may. I've done a couple of marathons before in unspectacular times - 4.50 and 4.38 - but never London, or any really big one. I'm not in a running club and have no friends. Well - I mean I won't know anyone in London. I have a ballot place in my fifth year of entering. I will have to turn down the virtual hobnob because I could do with losing a few lbs. And running more. And being a bit faster. And younger.

17/10/2011 at 13:48

Hi Que Sera - welcome aboard

I'd be well chuffed with 4.38 so well done!

Have you started your training yet?

17/10/2011 at 13:56
Sort of. I have been pretty lazy in the last year or so, but since I got my magazine I'm trying to get out about 4 times a week, aiming for half marathon fitness by late November/ early Dec, and then will start doing longer runs after that. Work is very demanding at the moment, and my family don't get to see much of me anyway, but things should ease up after Christmas (and obviously they'd improve if I wasn't indulging in displacement activity like looking at RW forums now instead of getting on with my to do list). You running much now?
17/10/2011 at 14:39
Hi Screamy - I did London 2 years ago in 5:31 and am doing Edinburgh next year. Can I join in please? Only just back into running after a 6-month layoff due to work. Aiming for a 10K in Dec. Training plan starts this week - doing RW 3x a week plan.

mitiog
17/10/2011 at 15:18

Hi mitiog and welcome

Sounds like we have all been busy! it's one of the reasons I've never joined a running club, I'd never be able to commit to dates and times.

I had a lazy year last year (intentionally) then got back to running regularly in January, I was training for the BUPA 10,000. Then I got injured, then I was ill a couple of times so I'm trying to get back into it now.

The most depressing thing is having slowed from 11mm to 11.5mm - still I was a 13 minute miler when I started so I don't have much to complain about. For marathon purposes I'm working around 12mm - too hard do the maths for 11.5

My next LSR will be 5 miles - not much - but onwards and upwards!

I am doing the Cambridge Half on March 11t h and Reading at the beginning of April -nothing before then as yet - although I'll keep an eye out.

17/10/2011 at 15:33

Oh, I see a thread being welcoming to anyone - yet excluding those of us NOT doing VLM. huh?! *flounce*

Good luck all. I have vague hankerings to do London, but I'll wait until I've completed my first (Brighton) before giving in to that urge.

17/10/2011 at 15:46

VLM 2012 will be my first marathon ever. I'm terrified!  

17/10/2011 at 16:27

Helen Liz - you are welcome to join - we might put you off the whole idea though

Hi there TriPlod - first time can be scary - I was in tears the day before the last one saying I didn't think I could do it and was stupid to even try. But I DID do it and even  though the race plan went completely Pete Tong I still had a fantastic time - I promise you will too

17/10/2011 at 16:42
OOOOO!!! Good luck Screamy!! I've settled in on the Virgins thread (ha ha ha ha ha) but I'll be reading here too to see how you get on!

Flask of tea and a biscuit at mile 18? I'll meet you there

x
17/10/2011 at 16:46

Well who could could possibly resist that Len 2?

Milk, no sugar 

17/10/2011 at 16:51

And if anybody needs any further inspiration...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15330421

What a guy!

17/10/2011 at 17:08
Screamapillar wrote (see)

And if anybody needs any further inspiration...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15330421

What a guy!

"He puts his stamina down to ginger curry, tea and "being happy"." I love this guy already.
17/10/2011 at 17:31
Scream - I should clarify that I changed my username and used to be YorksLass lol! Still got a bit of PF that I'm managing on a daily basis, but refusing to let it beat me!!
17/10/2011 at 21:35

Evening all,

Not a first timer to mara's, this'll be my 7th. Been running for about 3 years now, mid forties. First mara was 4:40, then 3:45, 4:20, 4:25, 5:45 (It was the Picnic!). Doing Snowdonia in a couple of weeks and was planning on 3:40 but the wheels came off in training at the end of August leading to 3 weeks of nada. Be happy to get round now. Member of an online running club, and a local club.

Have always kept away from big events, prefer the one's where the numbers are low 100's or just into the 1000's. Love mud & hills (Sodbury Slog, Avebury8, Tadley XC, Rough'n'Tumble, Meon Valley Plod, Grizzly etc all of which I'll do between here and VLM plus White Horse Half and the Wolf Run in early April next year). Most of my runs are off road, don't like tarmac.

Been told by so many people that the atmosphere at VLM is something else and that's why I entered the ballot. Made quite a few jealous by getting in first time! Did PB's at every distance this year, except mara.

So why am I here? Well, not going to go for a time, that's what did me in a few weeks back. Spent the summer pushing myself, and found out how far I could push myself. Unfortunately a bit too late..... So just going for the experience and the atmosphere. Means I don't belong in any Under X time threads, nor virgin threads so thanks Scream for starting this one.

The races I've mentioned above as far as distance goes are 8.5m, 8.4m, 5.3m, 10.4m, 21m, 21m, 13.1m, 6.2m so pretty much show my training plan from here to VLM. I'll start my official plan after Christmas - The plan being just to enjoy my running and not take a blind bit of notice what my pace is. It sounds like I'm totally organised. I'm not. You should see the desk I'm sitting at, just enough room between the piles of un-ordered paperwork for the keyboard 

18/10/2011 at 08:11
Len 2 wrote (see)
Scream - I should clarify that I changed my username and used to be YorksLass lol! Still got a bit of PF that I'm managing on a daily basis, but refusing to let it beat me!!

Hey good to see you again  - perhaps we can get together at the expo or something?

Hi Chimney, lucky you for getting in first time! I have to say it's really good to hear from someone who just wants to enjoy the experience - and you certainly will.

I'm also in my mid 40s. I only started running at 38 so let's say I'm well aware of my limitations

I'm assuming everyone has got a ballot place? Will you take the opportunity to raise money for charity too? I will, in a low key sort of way, but can't decide who to run for. Torn between "Mind" and Guide Dogs" at the moment - still, there's plenty of time. 

18/10/2011 at 08:19
I got a ballot place too. I decided to raise money for the RNLI because I like the little inflatable lifeboat things their runners used to wear.
1 to 20 of 648 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.