VLM 2014 Good For Age

How often do they change the requirements?

101 to 117 of 117 messages
02/05/2013 at 11:28

In my club I think we'd probably make an exception if someone hadn't realised they needed to enter the ballot until it was too late. Clubs can surely decide whether or not to bend their own rules about how to allocate places.

02/05/2013 at 11:59

Our club runs it differently.  Individuals have to marshall at 4 of the club events to be in with a shout of claiming a place.  Names of those who have marshaled 4 times and want to run London get put into a hat and the names get drawn at the Xmas do.  I think last year it was about a 1 in 3 chance of getting a place that way.  We don't have to have entered the main ballot to enter the club system either, although there was a bit of a "discussion" about that last year from someone who thought a ballot rejection letter should be part of the process (but it isn't currently).

02/05/2013 at 12:07

literatin - yeah I think we would as well actually, although (I don't think) the new GFA times affect any of us. I was just answering the question of 'how can the GFA changes mean you could miss out on a club place?' - in theory if other clubs did similar to us then that *could* happen. That's all I was saying. Mind you, we skew our club draw a little bit to allow first-timers more of a chance of getting in and experiencing the race anyway. Their names go into a hat first,we make a draw, then the others are added for the next draw. So we guarantee at least one first-timer will get one of our places, but they easily get all of them (we had 3 spots this year). All decided at our AGM by the members, and seems to work well for us.

02/05/2013 at 13:33

Thanks for some very interesting (and supportive/reasoned) replies to my original post as "disgusted" Dave! They deserve responses.

If the target had been 3:05 I think my son would have trained even harder.

Given that it was our understanding that the gfa times are not normally changed (happened apparently in 2010 but times were raised) in such a way at the last minute I hope people would understand our outrage. It is of course not what happens to qualifying times for elites for entry to Olympics/Worlds etc .where at least 18 months is given to run the standard. Clearly it is now very difficult to reach the required level of fitness and find a marathon to run in the summer - and then you are talking about runnnig it in summer not spring conditions.

Clearly club ballot rules vary considerably and it is quite possible that our club might follow the lead of "literatin" club. I do agree that first-timers should be treated differently which of course my son is. I would also support "rules" such as acting as marshalls etc. and rewarding runners to participate in club events.

There were three runners at our club affected and my gut instinct was this was so unfair that they all should be given automatic places - now that's a really "skewed" ballot!

Cheerful Dave    pirate
02/05/2013 at 13:44
David Wyatt 7 wrote (see)

Given that it was our understanding that the gfa times are not normally changed (happened apparently in 2010 but times were raised) in such a way at the last minute I hope people would understand our outrage. !

They don't change very often, but when they do it's always been after the previous London Marathon.  For the 2004 race the senior men's GFA time came down from 3:15 to 3:00 (yes, 15 minutes!), again with no prior warning.  At the same time they brought the GFA closure date forward by a week, ruling out the one possibility I had of qualifying for that year, so I understand your frustration.

If your son is over 34 then his time qualifies him for Boston, why not do that one instead?  It's a fantastic race, events this year aside.

02/05/2013 at 14:00

Hi cheerful Dave - thanks for your understanding and added information. Despite being 59 my son is only 23 - I was an older father! I gather Boston have always published gfa times well over a year in advance. I guess we have to be gratefly though that London do not follow Boston in other respects as it is all gfa I believe so not accessible at all to slower runners like me I guess.

02/05/2013 at 23:20

Confused - I ran 3.19 at Brighton 2012 when I was 49, I am now 50, is that a qualifying time for VLM2014 GFA sub 3.20?

Any clarification appreciated

03/05/2013 at 00:38

I ran 3.08 in April 2012 at 40,could have ran GFA this year but thought I would do it next.Now the times have changed have I missed out or does the fact that I am 41 now   

42 by VLM 2014 make me GFA?

Sorry to the shark for a useless answer,someone Somewhere knows !

Cheerful Dave    pirate
03/05/2013 at 06:22

It's age on VLM day that counts, not when you ran your qualifying race so you're both in.

03/05/2013 at 09:14

Thanks Dave, hope your right. I only looked into this as I'm running the Kent Roadrunner Mara and saw the info about GFA time changes.

Am I right in saying you wait until the end of May and then apply when the GFA opens.

I missed the ballot application, too busy working, so this would be an unexpected bonus if your right, and glad I sprinted for the line at Brighton to get under 3.20 by a few seconds.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
03/05/2013 at 09:30

It's been that way every year up to now, TS.  No reason why they should change.  They open the application process in a few weeks which I think is going to be the same online system used for championship entries last year: you submit a time, wait a few days for them to check it out, then they'll ask you to pay your entry fee.

03/05/2013 at 12:05

Thanks Dave.

03/05/2013 at 13:18

Running the Leiden Marathon on 26th May and at least I know now the standards (thought they weren't going to announce them until the end of May??). 2 questions for people in the know

1. Do all Marathons qualify for setting GFA times? Leiden's chip timed so I'm guessing/hoping that's OK?

2. Do they open and close the GFA entry quickly like the ballot, or is it open for a number of weeks? Only ask because I'm heading straight to the beach from Leiden so won't be back in the UK at the time they open the entry.

Thanks in advance. CB

03/05/2013 at 14:00

currybelly - pretty much any so long as it is officially measured...there are a few rogue ones known to be short.  So you should be OK.  The GFA "window" usually lasts until sometime in July, so you'll be fine to put your application in when you're back home.

03/05/2013 at 15:45

Thanks Dave,

04/05/2013 at 11:37

Thanks Freemers. 

05/05/2013 at 18:51
what is the date 4 the vlm 2014 anybody know this please

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
101 to 117 of 117 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.