VLM & 4 weeks later Copenhagen- training between?

6 messages
28/04/2013 at 17:06

Hi guys

Just did my first Marathon at VLM. Followed the RW 3.30 plan (a bit quicker throughout though- sorry!) Finished 'comfortably' in 3.29.

What training would people recommend to keep me ticking over in-readiness for Copenhagen in 3 weeks time?

I'm planning Boot Camp (out door circuits) Tuesday, Wednesday fast coached track sessions, Yoga Thursday, club runs 6-8 miles Friday. Boot Camp followed by a (flat out)5k Park Run on Saturday and a 10-14 miler on the Sunday. This on top of the cycle to work each day.

Any guidence good/bad on the above?

Bruce

Edited: 28/04/2013 at 17:06
30/04/2013 at 19:09

Only guidance, has an a not an e

01/05/2013 at 08:24

In the absence of anything running related- thank you for your input. I wonder why there were no running replies- did I post in the wrong place perhaps?

01/05/2013 at 09:36

Hi  Bruce

You won't get dozens of replies on this as multiple-marathoning isn't that common. Most will train to race one marathon in optimum condition, race it , recover and rebuild, and train for the next season.

Nutters will do multiple marathons - I've not had a 4 week break before, but in principle I would:

1. Rebuild energy / immune system in week 1 through rest and good food
2. Start walking / stretching in week 1 to encourage muscle repair
3. Light recovery running mid/late week 1
4. Medium Long Run end week (8 - 12 miles)
5. Week 2 - build up easy running mileage, add a minute or two of effort in each run
6. Progressive Medium long run end week 2 ans week 3
7. Stick in 1 or 2 VO2 session (week 2 / mid week 3)
8. Week 4 - taper back down

So - no long runs, and a bit of sharpening in the form of some intervals.

Take care - muscles will recover well ahead of tendons/ligaments. If this type of thing is your bag then Pfitzinger & Douglas (Advanced Marathoning)  have a chapter devoted to schedules for 4 to 12 weeks in between marathons

Edited: 01/05/2013 at 09:36
01/05/2013 at 10:42

Thanks Also-ran: that is very much appreciated

That's pretty much what I had in mind- especially the lack of very long runs.

I am doing the Bristol 10k this Sunday (vice the progressive medium long run, step 6.)and hoping to put in a good performance on top of the marathon training, but i'm concious I may need to add an additional small recovery time after that, if it's 'eye-balls on sticks' effort to marmalise a new Pb.

26/05/2013 at 23:02

How did it go?  I did 2 in 4 weeks last year. Hamburg in 4.00.05 and then Copenhagen in a disaster of 4.12.... it just didn't work out the way I hoped.

I did the Copenhagen Marathon again this year in 3.57 and I am doing Chicago in October this year.. just wondering how I keep my training going through the next couple of months.  Maybe aim for a half marathon in July and then pick it up from there.  I think that is what I will do!

Comments welcome.. if anyone replies to these feeds..

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.