VLM Rejection Support Group

I didn't want to run it anyway * fights back tears *

21 to 40 of 46 messages
seren nos    pirate
28/09/2012 at 13:12

good idea on running around your local park Wayne.if you are the type who doesn't like coming last ...you should be made up with the thrill of coming fast.you can design your own t-shirt and choose your favourite drink..win win situation............

i felt the same as you about the national lottery...........now i just do my own lottery every week and I am a winner each week...........much better than living my life as a loser........

you can soon start being a winner instead of a loser by taking the marathon into your own hands.....

you have made the first step...

28/09/2012 at 13:12
I never suggested a Charity entry Wayne. I have the same views as you when it comes to that.

I did suggest 3 other ways of getting in that you could

Where do you get the information from that all other marathons only have 350 entries? Thats not what I've seen in my experience.
28/09/2012 at 13:22

I didnt say all other marathons have 350 runners, but some do, and none have similar levels of participation and 'panache' to the LM, unless you want to travel overseas. (Possibly the GNR is an option...but guess what another 'ballot'.)

I'd be happier if it was a straight 6:1 ballot, therefore I'm just randomly unlucky, but looking at other threads it appears that the VLM is known not to be random selection, unless I wait 30 years and might have a chance as a 72 year old marathoner - , therefore it is not fair by any stretch of the imagination...fair means I have the same chance of entry as any other person.

Club running is something I don't enjoy..well with the club I tried and everything got too political. and I'm a long way off GFA...

Basically I'm depressed and eating chocolate biscuits.

28/09/2012 at 13:25
Edited: 28/09/2012 at 13:26
28/09/2012 at 13:35

Move away from the cookies, Wayne!!! That's not the answer...nor the bottle of wine I drank to commiserate myself for being such a loser.

I felt like that, every year until I finally got in...6th attempt! But serioulsy..it is shit, and not fair. But it's not going to change.

Honestly, keep trying. Join a club and try and get a club place. I have no hope of getting a GFA until I'm about 60. But there are ways in....also, if you are in a club and someone can't do it.....I didn't say that, I have never known of that happening 

Meanwhile....the smaller marathons are much more friendly....people talk to you! In London, the crowds are what make it, Tower Bridge and the last 2 miles. Honestly...nip to Paris, or one of the other big UK marthons like Brighton for the feel a of a big one. But try the smalle ones..

But don't lose heart....there are alot of us out there, you're time will come....eventually.

28/09/2012 at 13:38
Chocolate biscuits won't help you get that GFA time.

Why is "panasche" so important? Isn't being able to run 26.2 miles good enough?
seren nos    pirate
28/09/2012 at 14:16

London has honestly been my wortst marathon expewrience............hated it the first time....last year was only made bearable by stopping for a beer and food at mile 17........a 30 min break and and was ready to go......the views looked better after that

28/09/2012 at 14:29
If you can appreciate the views then you are not running hard enough.
If you want to look at stuff go for Paris.
seren nos    pirate
28/09/2012 at 14:30

if i want views I go to snowdon or beachy head or the brecon beacons.................i only do london for the party.....

28/09/2012 at 14:56

I have only run London once, and can honestly say that I preferred Brighton.  Or as Seren so wisely comments go for Beachy - that race is good for the soul.

28/09/2012 at 16:09

....runs through thread shouting "I'm a reject"

28/09/2012 at 16:18

london flat though which i prefer, got london kilomarathon in 4 weeks and robin hood half on sunday. so my focus is on that. happy carb loading and looking forward to a glass of wine sunday afternoon. i get over it like last 4 years i have.

28/09/2012 at 16:24

I feel rejected that I haven't even been rejected yet.  No magazine at all!

28/09/2012 at 18:40

still waiting for my mag too.

28/09/2012 at 19:43
Got the Elvis mag this morning. Not even worth opening it. Ran for charities years ago when they only asked ??500 or so. Wouldn't even dream about trying to raise ??2000 +.
28/09/2012 at 22:14

Will not be long before the only way in is via a charity place.

Edited: 28/09/2012 at 22:18
28/09/2012 at 22:22
Here's the one thing that pisses me off.

50,000 get entry, 35,000 people start.

Now, I understand some people get injured and I understand some people undertrain and get cold feet but what really annoys me is that those wasted places cannot be transferred to all us people who REALLY WANT TO run it and are fit and ready.

If LM made transfers available they would keep a lot more true runners happy.

Am I missing something?
28/09/2012 at 23:36
Maybe they make that many places available on the assumption that thousands won't actually run it. It's crowded enough as it is - I don't know if you could fit 50,000 runners in!
29/09/2012 at 00:08
BUT surely if they accept 50,000 starters they have to be ready for 50,000 starters. What would happen if nobody got injured or decided they didn't fancy it i.e What if we lived in a world that wasn't full of lightweight quitters stealing marathon places!!!!!!!!!

On a slightly less hysterical note - does anyone knows what happens if you are offered a place in the ballot but don't accept it (ie pay for it in time). What happens to your place?
Cheerful Dave    pirate
29/09/2012 at 07:11
They only accept 50,000 entries because they know that only 35,000 will turn up. There's a fairly consistent no-show rate in all races, organisers factor that in when they work out how many entries to accept. They don't need to worry about everyone turning up because it'll never happen. Sure, 38,000 could turn up, but if that trend continued they'd start taking fewer entries.
Many of those missing 15,000 will end up being deferred anyway, so not available for transfer.
21 to 40 of 46 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.