VLM: we want to hear from you!

21 to 40 of 92 messages
22/04/2013 at 17:32

I had three glasses of prosecco, three glasses of wine, a huge roast beef dinner and four scoops of ice cream. I ruined the refuelling effort a bit later on by having a salad, though.

22/04/2013 at 17:37

I am a salad dodger

22/04/2013 at 18:18

Best moment was passing the mock up of a KFC sign my mates had put up. 

Worst moment was the whole of the Docklands. Suffered badly. 

Surprised by the sheer volume of supporters on the course. I've spectated a few times in the past, but you just don't realise it's that busy the whole way round. On a negative note (my only one) I was surprised how inconsiderate many runners were. Cutting across, stopping dead, throwing bottle at your feet etc...

Most memorable moment was seeing my parents near mile 24. I don't think they've ever turned up for anything I've done before and they seem to really enjoy it. 

Outside goal was 4hr. Had trained really well and at half way (a slowish 2:02) I felt great, but then crashed in Docklands. Really struggled and ended up with 4:33. 

Big crowd of friends turned up to celebrate. I drank till closing (10 pints, which was sort of a side bet / part 2 of the day). Didn't feel tired, drunk or hungry at all. Didn't eat till lunch today!

22/04/2013 at 18:39

Best Moment - Mile 25 to Finish.  I could relax and enjoy the moment. Amazing sights, Buckingham Palace is so big!

Worst moment - after thinking at mile 15 there was "only 9 miles left" and realising at mile 16 i'd miscounted!

Most memorable - overtaking man in thong!

Goal - Sub 3, I put 2:55 on my entry and achieved 2:55 so not everyone lies

Celebration - The Outlaw Ironman in July!  

22/04/2013 at 18:56

Toro: do you mean the Welshman in the mankini complete with orange spray-on tan. I passed him at about 3 miles. Must have been chafing a bit by 20miles.

22/04/2013 at 18:59

Sorry, yes the mankini.  I also passed him in early stages (5?) I ran 1:23 for 2:55.  We must have been close at some point (the start)!!!

22/04/2013 at 19:00

Wearing "Royal Navy" and getting beaten by The Sailor was particularly grating!  

22/04/2013 at 19:11

Best moment - The walk into the Blue start area. It gives all that training a real purpose.

Worst moment - Some of the narrower roads on the Isle of Dogs, which couldn't handle the volume of people.

What surprised me most about the day - the two individually wrapped prunes in the goody bag

My most memorable moment - Being over taken by the Runners World sub 4:00 pacers

My goal was sub 4:00, finish time 3:58:50

Celebrated by taking my wife out to dinner for being so supportinve over the last six months.

22/04/2013 at 19:31

my best moment, my husband actually seeing me outside our hotel

my worst moment, quite a few, was going great guns up to ml 20 on track for sub 4.15 then the heat got to me and i was sick a couple of times unfortunatly over the shoes of one of the St Johns ambulance ladies (sorry) i made it over the finish line in 4.43.46 so dissapointed with myself but everbody else says it was ok, i'll get over it!

i agree the t-shirt is crap

the crowd was amazing a bit disconcerting at times just the sheer volume of people,i also agree about some of the runners etiquet, shoving pushing and lobbing water bottles anywhere, not sure yet whether i enjoyed it but am supposed to be doing edinburgh in may, we'll see!

22/04/2013 at 19:51

Sunday was my first marathon and I must say I really enjoyed it.

Having said that, the race didn't start very well for me as I was tripped in the first few hundred yards.  I was a bit shaken, but unhurt and soon got into my race and on pace.  I have trained to run around 4 hours and so I settled into a group of runners who were all aiming for about the same finishing time.  

I have to say the crowds were great.  Even in the opening mile they were clapping and cheering.  The music from the pubs and the bands on the route was deafening, but it made sure you ran with your head up and a smile on your face.  

A real highlight for me was crossing Tower Bridge and then turning to run down the Highway.  The noise from the crowd was amazing!  It literally made my hair stand on end and I ran the next two miles constantly waving and thanking people.  I was running to raise money for Helen and Douglas House so it was great to reach their supporters, and to see my family and some friendly faces - it also meant that I was past half-way and loving it.  

Unfortunately I struggled with the heat as we reached the afternoon and by mile 17 I'd fallen below 4 hour pace.  Then as we hit the turn at Docklands I started to struggle with a really sore calf and so I took the decision that finishing at all was more important than finishing in a particular time.  I knew that I would pass Helen & Douglas House and my family again at 22 miles and that kept me going, as did the crowds in the last four miles.  Only a runner can know how it feels to be cheered on by that crowd.  Everyone who called out "come one Alistair" or "you can do it, Alistair" helped me to reach the end of the race.  

The finish itself is a bit of anti-climax.  It is strangely quiet on Birdcage walk, but you are left with elation and exhaustion as you cross the finishing line - you've done it, you are a marathon runner.  The first thing you get is your medal and I am still wearing mine with pride.  Then you stagger on to receive your goodie bag, and more importantly some water and an isotonic drink.  After that it's a bit of a blur.  The queue of lorries to collect your kit bag seems to go on forever, and it feels like miles before you get to Horse Guard Parade, but at least here you can stretch off, eat something and look for friends and family.

Best memory: crossing Tower Bridge and the mile that followed it!

Worst bit: soldiering on for four miles with a very sore calf

Most surprising: just how amazing the crowd was - and how hot it was in Docklands, I wasn't prepared for that.

I was aiming for sub four four and on track (I had run with Jules since mile 1) but I fell back badly after 19 miles.  In the end I was just grateful to finish in 4 hours 21 minutes.

22/04/2013 at 20:27

1st Prize - Most useless item -The prunes (cunningly disguised as condoms) . Runners constipation is a well known problem, identified and written about it many articles in runners magazines.!!!! - i dont think!!!

2nd prize-  Strangest item -Shake and vac for chicken-what can i say

The T shirt is completely useless. A friend for the equally useless one  from last year. I am keeping them in case I need a new tent in years to come.

Best moment -friends and family and all the supporters,spectators and seeing the finish line- 

Worst moment -the realisation that once again the gels and lucozade sport I had ingested ware  refusing to go anywhere and that it would remain ,sitting like a brick in my stomach for the next eight miles threatening a vertical take off!

but......

I loved it!

22/04/2013 at 20:30

Best moment - the sprinklers! everytime a win!

Worst moment - seeing a girl falling on a bottle that was thrown under her feet

Surprise - how difficult it was to meet up with anyone after. felt like a long way to walk to the meet and greet and then couldnt find anyone there. was quite a low after the high of finishing.

Memorable moment - seeing my bf at mile 22, briefly falling onto him and getting an awwwww from the crowd around. 

Goal - between 4 and 4:30, did 4:28 so am ok with my time but room for improvement! next time!

Celebration - sugary cider with friends and family, then chinese back home with the boy

22/04/2013 at 20:41
I overtook the Mankini man at about mile 23. He didn't seem to be suffering from any bad chafing. Although not sure what time he finished as I just sneaked a sub 3 do he might have just missed out.

I did get annoyed at a few runners who had slowed almost to a walk but were still in the middle of the road on the blue line. These were experienced club runners who should have known better.

Best bit was the support. Especially along the embankment it really helped me to dig in when my legs were telling me to stop.
22/04/2013 at 20:52

Anyone else see the guy in the nappy? That had to be the ultimate chafing outfit - even babies get nappy rash and they don't run!

22/04/2013 at 21:04
Didn't see him but a bloke in a full business suit went flying past me in the final mile. He must have been boiling hot. I was suffering in shorts and t shirt.
22/04/2013 at 21:06

Think I saw him too: Joe's world record attempt? I was also passed by a leprechaun in a massive padded suit early in the race who was doing about 3 hour pace.

22/04/2013 at 21:55

Best moment - feeling great for the first half and reaching the half way point under 1 hour 50 min.

Worst moment - realising that I'd started too fast and was bitterly paying for it between miles 21 to 24.

Most surprised - the number of supporters throughout the whole course. The crowds were fantastic and so uplifting even in the darkest miles of the course.

Most memorable - arriving at Anthony Nolan post reception where the whole room sang Happy Birthday to me on my arrival.

Goal - was aiming for 3:40 but paid the price for running too fast in the early miles. Finished with 3 hours 48 min so not too bad for my first marathon and running with a recent diagnosis of cancer!!! Will adopt a better strategy next time to achieve goal.

Celebration - well it was my 50th birthday so what more can I say. Two bottles of champagne at Anthony Nolan reception, followed by huge party with friends and relatives in Teddington. My head aches as much as my legs !!!!!!!!!

22/04/2013 at 23:19
Best moment: running sub 4hr for the first time and shaking the hand of Richard Branson at the finish!
Worst moment: nearly went apex over base when someone was so desperate to get to a drinks station they cut across everyone as if they were on lone training run
Most memorable: has to be the crowd- fantastic support
T-shirt- yuk, who chose that colour
Goal - sub 4 hrs
Highlight: catching up on my stats and realising that over the last 7k I passed 1313 runners and was only overtaken by 17 - be interested to know if anyone can beat this!
23/04/2013 at 06:50
Bob Depledge wrote (see)
Highlight: catching up on my stats and realising that over the last 7k I passed 1313 runners and was only overtaken by 17 - be interested to know if anyone can beat this!

Well 17 other runners did!

Pethead    pirate
23/04/2013 at 07:32

Your best moment (apart from the finish) - Probably going through 20M and realising I was still ahead of schedule

Your worst moment - The last two miles, my quads had given up and my feet were burning

What surprised you most about the day - The sheer number of people involved, from marshals to spectators to the tube companies.

Your most memorable moment - Finishing!

What your goal was, and how your finishing time compared. My goal was an optimistic 2:50, I surprised myself with 2:46.

And of course, how you celebrated! Ate the food in the goody bag, had a shower, got more food and rushed back to university!

21 to 40 of 92 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.