VLM: we want to hear from you!

81 to 94 of 94 messages
24/04/2013 at 23:15
Best moment - going past the Cutty Sark. The crows support there was incredible and it's a sight I always remember when watching the VLM on TV. Felt unreal that I was actually running it this year and could feel myself welling up. Have been running for 2 years and never believed I would ever run a marathon.

Also seeing my OH at mile 15 (although managed to miss all three kids!)

Also beating Harry from McFly!

Worst moment - the weather - my last long run on Easter Sunday was in sub zero temperatures and I don't usually take water on runs. The sun made me nervous as realised I would need to drink for this one.

Surprise - seeing David Weir supporting at mile 20. He didn't look as if he had just raced a marathon! Also, not hitting 'the wall' that everyone talks about.

Memorable moment - going over Tower Bridge - again, this felt very unreal, but something I will remember for the rest of my life.

Goal - main goal was 3:50 but golden goal was sub 3:30. Finished in 3:29:18 so very pleased with this as its my first marathon.

Celebrations - taking one of those bike taxis to Pizza Express where we met up with friends. Then later had fun blister popping!
25/04/2013 at 09:18

Loved running my first VLM!!

• Your best moment - Tower Bridge suddenly coming into view and running over it
  • Your worst moment - realising I'd been over optimistic with my pace in the first 8 miles and was not going to get a PB
  • What surprised you most about the day - the two sharp turns by Buckingham Palace - you think you can see the finish but it's actually the 800 meters to go sign!  Also spotting my friends at mile 25.
  • Your most memorable moment - Loads of them! Crossing the start line, Cutty Sark, Tower Bridge, crying my eyes out for ages along the Embankment, the Luzocade tunnel at mile 23, seeing Big Ben and finishing.
  • What your goal was, and how your finishing time compared - goal was under 5 hours but came through at 5.21, still very happy to have finished though.
  • And of course, how you celebrated! Joined the charity'd welcome reception then to the pub and a huge bowl of ice cream with my friends who has alsojust ran!

What a day! Just over 2 weeks til I do it all again in Prague, yikes!

27/04/2013 at 17:42

4th London. Had a dodgy stomach going into the run. Chatted to a few celebs off the telly at the start and got some photos with them. Set off like an idiot. I was aiming for similar to my Brighton time of 3.14. Did miles 2 3 and 4 in a reckless 6.55 pace. Tried to slow down but couldnt. Dont know why. Got hot by mile 15 then by 18 I was struggling. I was busting for a wee at the start and figured my stomach cramps might be due to this so stopped and did the biggest most out of control wee ever. Last few miles were terrible and I struggled to get 3.25 and was gutted by how badly I had run it. Could have done under 3.20 with less effort going steady. Nipped into a shower at the finish. Got out and was greeted by Frank Bruno. Top bloke. Didnt really enjoy it this year. Trained hard and did 5 20 mile runs plus in awfull weather on my own. Went to London on my own and probably missed a bit of banter. Crowds were the best ever on the way round. Was cheered up by the free meal and the people at the Clic Sargent reception. Had a stinker but it happens. Over it now. Trying to plan ahead for Berlin 2014 and any advice most welcome.

28/04/2013 at 16:52

Best moment.. taking nearly 15 mins off my pb, finishing in 3.14.32.

Most surprising.. the wall of noise at Cutty Sark.

Worst moment.. Mile 18, having one of those, "did I set off too quickly" feelings.

Most memorable.. The whole day, Thanks to the organisation.

My goal.. 3.20.. SMASHED IT!!

30/04/2013 at 11:48

BEST MOMENT: going over tower bridge/when some guy got me with a water cannon

WORST MOMENT: discovering I’d been put in the back pen behind the 5 hour pacer despite putting 3:45 on my estimated time/when we ground to a complete halt at 5.5miles/when my knee went at 18 miles

SURPRISING MOMENT: how amazingly well organised it was (despite my disappointment about being put at the back)

MOST MEMORABLE MOMENT: Big Ben chiming just as I got to it

GOAL: Primary goal = sub-3:45; secondary goal = sub-3:55

ACTUAL: 3:56 - considering having to fight from the back and the sheer volume of runners along with running the last 8 miles with severe knee pain, I’m alright with that

CELEBRATION: Eating ALL the food! 

03/05/2013 at 10:40

Best Moment:- The Lucozade tunnel of yes at mile 23, coming through that to the noise of the crowds on Embankment was truely epic.

Worst Moment:- Suffering from cramp with 400 metres to go and had to stop for 30 seconds to stretch it out, other than that ran the whole way ropund.

Most Memorable Moment:- Far to many but if I had to pick one - going over tower bridge.

Goal:- Primary Goal = Sub 4hours Secondary Goal:- 3;30

Actual:- 3:40:07 - was actually very pleased with my time considering it was my first marathon and had to start from pen 9 on Blue Start

Celebration: A curry and beer.

05/05/2013 at 18:58
what date is the 2014 vlm does any crows know that please
17/05/2013 at 20:04

This was my second London and was absolutley fantastic. I am no spring chicken and only started running at the age of 50. Last year I had stomach cramps and had to walk 19 miles and finished in just over 6 hours. This year I hoped to go sub 5hrs but managed just over. A truly amazing experience and very humbling.

17/05/2013 at 20:52

Well done Granny like you I'm no spring chicken but had a good day all round This year was the longest time it took me. Ran for my beloved sister who unfortunately lost her battle with cancer the day after the Marathon but at least she let me complete it before she passed away. Now trying to get back into running and have joined the Park Runs great morning runs up and down the country 5k runs on a Saturday morning free to enter anyone can do them too   

17/05/2013 at 21:41

Well done Margaret. I am so glad your sister knew what you did. I have done a few park runs but only get a chance every 6 weeks as I have to work. I have tried to keep up with running and have been out a couple of times a week since. Looking towards my next challenge....maybe Swindon half in October.   I have decided not to do another VLM, mainly because of the training and the time and toll it takes. Not only that, nothing could beat the thrill of this year. I can live on that for the rest of my life.

18/05/2013 at 10:37
nice 1 glad your sis saw you ..im no spring chic at 56yrs my 3rd london it was the best crowd ever.
18/05/2013 at 18:05

I have to agree, the crowds were amazing. It would have been a long 26 miles without them. So up lifting.

19/05/2013 at 09:53

Thank you for comments. The London Marathon is the best and crowds fantastic from start to finish. I'm 65yrs and have enjoyed the crowds each time completed. Everyone is a winner in London who compete from the front runner to the back markers and the crowd encourage each and everyone to get round safely.Well done to all      

10/07/2013 at 19:36

Best moment - Chatting with Andrew Strauss (briefly) at the 5k mark.  He was the only 'celebrity' I actually recognised.

Worst moment - was actually on 17th March; 5 weeks before VLM, running in the Finchley 20. At about 10 miles it finally sunk in that with various injuries, illnesses, work etc I hadn't done sufficient training and VLM 2013 was not going to be my finest.

Most memorable - Running along the Highway at 21 - 22 miles and seeing the thousands of runners that had just reached half-way - an awesome sight.  Not sure why but that bit always sticks in my mind (relief probably).

Goal - originally 3.05 - 3.10 but had to revise drastically (see 'worst moment')

Actual - 3.25 (satisfied with that under the circumstances)

Celebration - many beers in the 'Princess of Wales', Villiers Street.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
81 to 94 of 94 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.