Vote Aaron for Target 26.2

One Man's Quest for Marathon Glory... In Paris... C'est Magnifique!

1 to 20 of 29 messages
05/12/2012 at 21:27

Hello All,

So here it is, my campaign speech… I can’t really give a reason why I deserve your votes over the other runners in my category as to be honest I don’t, I’ve met two of them (Hello Mel and Steve) and I’ve no doubt that they want it just as badly as me, and they seem like great people. I think any one of us would be a worthy candidate.

Ultimately I’ve never been much of a self publicist so I can’t tell you I’m the best man for the job and that I’m the man you should be voting for, in short I wouldn’t make a very good Politician!

That said, please don’t think that means I don’t want your votes, it would make my year if I were to be selected and I promise I would pour my heart and soul into the training, the marathon, and the team I would be working with. And I would gladly share that journey with anyone who would like to hear about it.

Rather than trying to come up with loads of reasons to persuade you why you should vote for me, I’d just like to give you an idea of who I am; As I said in my bio I guess I feel I represent the average everyday guy trying to achieve something better. I’m 34 years old and I live in sunnyBirmingham, by way ofCardiff(Where I did a degree in Archaeology of all things!) and the Isle of Wight (Where I grew up), I work inWorcesteras a Bakery Manager for Sainsburys. The most important thing in my life is my family. I have a beautiful wife (Sam) and a wonderful 3 year old boy (Oscar) who are my inspiration, and it is my hope through running the marathon I can inspire Oscar and be a father he can be proud of.

As a First Timer (For a marathon at least), my running knowledge is pretty limited, I ran the Birmingham Half Marathon in October in 2:12:25 based on a regimen of going after more miles at the same pace and using not a little will power to get me through. Up to now I have never been about PB’s or times at all, I have just run for the sense of freedom and personal satisfaction it has given me, and in the hope my boy will one day join me on the road. But I would love this opportunity to see what I am capable of by following a structured training plan, and working with the Asics Team.

It seems I’ve written far more than I wanted to I’m going to stop now, hopefully I have conveyed a bit about who I am (Please get in touch if you’d like to ask me anything, I’ll try and be a bit briefer!) and Thankyou in advance if you decide to vote for me here: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/competitions/target-262-2013-first-timer/492.html

Edited: 05/12/2012 at 21:37
06/12/2012 at 09:42

Hi Aaron

You say your weakness is a lack of knowledge - have you not considered picking up a book? Choosing a plan from the internet?

Will you plan to do a spring marathon anyway if you don't go to Paris?

06/12/2012 at 14:55

HI Aaron, was great meeting you last week. Congrats on making it this far and I wish you all the best over the next week of voting!

06/12/2012 at 16:01

Hi Sleepy Bear,

Good Question, I have picked up a couple of books one of which is fast becoming my bible (The Runner's Handbook by Bob Glover) and I have looked at a few plans on line and in Runners World. I guess when I started running I was a little ignorant, I just wanted to put on a pair of trainers and run, thinking one day I could reach the lofty heights of a marathon but to start with I just wanted to hit 10 minutes!

I tend to throw myself into things wholeheartedly so did loads of reading on running but two things happened. I found myself getting completely bewildered by the depth of training plans and different approaches and also spent more time reading about running than actually running.

My goal at the time was a 10k race for life, so I just decided to put the books down thinking I didn't need that level of detail for it and just to go running everyday and just keep building distance until I could do the race, that kind of mindset stayed with me ever since and although I've kept reading online and the handbook I guess what I was doing worked so I got stuck in that routine.

After my first half in October I realised that now was the time to start getting the knowledge I'd sidelined earlier if I wanted to go longer without wrecking myself, Target 26.2 seemed to be a golden opportunity at the perfect time so I went for it. If it doesn't work out though I will be committing myself to more intelligent running and building up my knowledge and experience.

In answer to your second question, yes I fully intend to run a marathon next year, if I am not fortunate enough to do it with the Asics/Runners World team then I will do it on my own and hopefully with a little help from the forums. I genuinely didn't realised it was such an inclusive community, this whole experience has been a bit of an eye opener. Edinburgh would be my top choice is this doesn't work out.

Hope that answers your questions and sorry if I went on a bit.

A.

06/12/2012 at 16:06

Hi Rich,

Thanks mate, great to meet you too and great to see you're through to the final. I really didn't know what to expect from the day or from everywhere there, I was totally overwhelmed by the goodwill of all involved. Having been something of a solitary runner up to now my eyes have been well and truly opened. It's going to be a fun week, it's already taken over my dreams!

06/12/2012 at 16:10

Nothing wrong with a bit of chatter - I am the queen of "going on" so don't worry about that!

Completely see where you're coming from with all the different training theories out there! 

Why Edinburgh?  Any particular reason?

(Did I warn you I was nosey? LOLOLOLOLOL)

06/12/2012 at 16:25

No worries, your noseyness and my inability to keep things brief is probably a match made in heaven!

Main reasons for Edinburgh is that I think it's a great city and haven't been there for ages so would love to go back for a visit, (reminds me a lot of Cardiff too which will always have a special place in my heart, but no Marathon unfortunately) and also it's meant to be a fast one so I figure would be good for a first timer. Have you any experience with it yourself?

06/12/2012 at 16:29

Hi Indy! Why did you choose this username?

06/12/2012 at 16:32

No - I seem to have a preference for slower hilly courses! (think Loch Ness, Langdale, Cape Wrath...) The thought of trying deliberately to go fast over mara distance worries me OR I'm just lazy - haven't firmly concluded which yet!

And I can't be bothered with all the palava of big city races - parking, crowds, etc!

At least with 26.2 - you get all the hassle taken out of it!

Best of luck!

seren nos yn canu    pirate
06/12/2012 at 17:01

edinburgh was my first marathon......i loved it although it does get mixed reviews......

you are hoping to get sub 4:30.there is a long term thread on that target......I failed my first few times despite getting sub 2 half every time i ran one..............its really tricky building from a half to a full

where did you see the entry for the compettion

06/12/2012 at 17:08
RunnyRunRun wrote (see)

Hi Indy! Why did you choose this username?

Well I used to want to be Indiana Jones (Hence the degree in Archaeology, but my interest faded when they wouldn't give me the hat and the whip) and I've always been a bit of a fan of the legend that is Steve Mcqueen, so I stuck the two together and Voila!

06/12/2012 at 17:08

In truth I've been using it for over a decade, I think I always will!

06/12/2012 at 17:14
Sleepy Bear wrote (see)

No - I seem to have a preference for slower hilly courses! (think Loch Ness, Langdale, Cape Wrath...) The thought of trying deliberately to go fast over mara distance worries me OR I'm just lazy - haven't firmly concluded which yet!

Best of luck!

That's a fair point, the Loch Ness one sounds intriguing, went there when I was a kid but never saw Nessie! I think with the time I'm aiming for I won't be going that fast!

I know what you mean about the big cities, it's a blessing and a curse, Great to see some of the iconic landmarks and scenery, but sometimes you just don't want all the hassle that goes with it!

Thanks,

06/12/2012 at 17:21

Hi seren nos, I've heard mixed things too but more good than bad, were you happy with it as your choice for a first marathon?

I saw the entry in Runners World mag.

I know it will be a real challenge, to be honest that's part of the appeal, I guess I see it as much about my mental strength as my physical, not to under-estimate the physical strength required. I guess the real appeal of Target 26.2 is that it will give me the best opportunity to do it first time with the best possible guidance and support.

I'd like to say tricky is my middle name but unfortunately it's not, it's Richard...

06/12/2012 at 17:25
seren nos wrote (see)

you are hoping to get sub 4:30.there is a long term thread on that target

Thanks for the heads up, I will check it out. I must confess, I am quite new to the forums, if I don't make it all the way I will take away how great they can be, so many people prepared to get involved.

07/12/2012 at 09:02

morning

what do you hope to gain from the forums and what do you think you have to give to the forums

07/12/2012 at 09:22

Good Morning

So far I think the biggest thing is realising how much of a social community there is out their, having been something of a solitary runner in the past I didn't realise how inclusive the forums could be. Also, there seems to be a wealth of knowledge and real experience out there, answering Sleepy Bears question earlier I didn't also mention that where books let me down is that they don't have the facility to answer my questions on the content, I believe the forums will let me do this, so I think using the two together will be a great tool.

I think at the moment my main contribution will be enthusiasm and an honest, (if limited!) opinion. Over time as my experience and knowledge grows I'd like to think I might be able to help people by giving this back. Needless to say if I won I'd feed back everything I could about what I learn and experience.

You have an interesting name, would you be from Wales by any chance? If i remember right Seren is welsh for star?

A.

07/12/2012 at 09:25

yes seren nos. is night star..........got so used to it that most people on here call me Seren in real life now.....i prefer it to my real name

07/12/2012 at 13:16
Cool, it's a nice name, the union at Cardiff used to be called Seren Las, I think that was Blue Star. Unfortunately people won't call me Indy in real life!
08/12/2012 at 11:04
Hi Aaron. I wouldn't worry about the long posts. I have the same problem on my thread.

Is there anything that makes you anxious about running your first marathon? For me it was worrying about needing the toilet due to nerves the whole time. 100m after the start I was already in the bushes!

Do you see this marathon as a one off test or are you already thinking about more marathons?
1 to 20 of 29 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.