Vote Caro in PB Hunter

No longer a fish gasping for air on dry land!

21 to 40 of 71 messages
07/12/2012 at 11:40

Caroline - you certainly have my vote.  I am confident you will reach your goal in the near future, based on your current form as you are clearly still improving.  Remember, Jane took up running at age 32 and was running her pbs at age 45.  She made it to 3.02 in the London Marathon.  You can do even better and then you'll be the pride of our village !!

07/12/2012 at 12:48

For anyone who doesn’t know Caroline, I would just like to say that she would be a very deserving winner of an Asics Target 26.2 Paris marathon place. Caroline is not only a fantastic runner who has gone from strength to strength, but above all she is also a lovely person. I met her when she first joined our running club in 2010, back then she really did doubt her own abilities; I guess the negative comments years back made her feel that she would never be a good runner. Then over the last couple of years something happened, her runs were getting faster and faster and little by little she finally started to believe in herself. Despite being one of the fastest ladies in Kent now, Caroline remains humble and is always quick to congratulate everyone else after a race and slow to reveal her own achievements. She is a great ambassador for running, showing that anyone can start off as a beginner only to improve beyond recognition a few years later. With the right training schedule and goals, I have no doubt that she will rise to even greater things in the future.

07/12/2012 at 13:48

Guys I am in absolute tears at the moment!!! Abi, Rob, PJ, Lady Lark and everyone else... thank you so much for your lovely words. At the end of the day, it is friends (and family) that count the most in life!

Seren nos and Choisty, I'm trying to compose myself before I reply to your posts

07/12/2012 at 14:34
seren nos wrote (see)

Seren nos: what do you hope to gain from the forums and what do you think you can give to the forums

Seren nos...

What I hope to gain from the forums...

From the above comments I have ALREADY (only in the past 48hrs) gained so much encouragement. I have just been completely BLOWN AWAY from all the lovely comments AND I am so pleased that I seem to have made a difference to and impacted the lives of my friends and fellow running community

What I think I can give to the forums...
I've discovered a great passion for writing more and more so over the past few years... so you won't be getting any one word answers from me. I started a training log right from my very first New Years resolution run in January 2010... (remind me to copy it here one day) where I thought I was going to die!! I love being honest and real in my training logs and I hope to share that with all of you. As a life time athlete in NUMEROUS sports I feel I have so much to offer in my advice, but I've never been sure if anyone's really wanted to listen before xox

Edited: 07/12/2012 at 14:42
07/12/2012 at 15:17
Choisty wrote (see)

Do you race other distances and what times have you set?  Also what is your training like at the moment?

Hi Choisty. I was MOST nervous following you last year because I TOO was aiming for a UK Championship qualifying time for the 2013 London Marathon. My goal was to gain it through the Paddock Wood 1/2 Marathon (1 April 2012) and I was THRILLED to achieve that goal by finishing in 1:29:06.

I've had a very long (January to October) road running seasion where my 2ND goal was to see how far I could make it up the Kent Grand Prix series ladder this year. After MANY different distance (5M, 10km, 10M, 1/2 Marathon, 20M, Marathon) races over the year I've ended 3rd overall (probably because I did most of the races ).

From the above results and a long road running season, I've been treating myself to taking it easy recently before I start my Marathon (Paris ? London?) training. I have been doing the local Kent Fitness League Cross Country races recently so that's been keeping me on my toes.

I know that I know that when I set my heart on a goal, I am very focussed as I like to see how far I can push myself. I've learnt that REST is VERY important, and especially if I am going to be committing myself 110% to a 16 week training program, I want to be fresh physically and mentally

07/12/2012 at 15:56

Congratulations on your time and qualifying, it is much harder for the half than for the full (I've still got 66s to find).  I too race in a league (Hants) and the hardest thing last year was putting that on the back burner, it felt like I was letting my club mates down by not racing when I was fit...but in the end it was worth it and the 1,000+ miles, injury and illness to cross the line with the time I wanted.

Looking at your powerof10 you are very consistent and your rate of improvement is cracking, so I think you will beat 3hrs, I've just voted for you so I hope you do it in Paris!

What sports did you float about with, as I'm the same I don't think there is a sport that I haven't played competitively!

07/12/2012 at 16:03

I only met you last week and I can second whats been said above, you are such a lovely, friendly and honest person. Im so glad, and lucky to have met you

07/12/2012 at 16:17

Oh wow thanx Choisty and Sarah!!!! I started off with competitive swimming as you know, I then participated in surf lifesaving for YEARS - I loved that!!... and I even did some practise rescues jumping out of a helicopter into the sea, some fresh water life saving, a very little synchronised swimming at school , K1/K2 kayaking racing, rowing, triathlons, and a little surfing, water skiing and fishing for fun. In case you were wondering I grew up in South Africa which is a little warmer . I found the beaches weren't quite the same when I moved here years ago so that was another reason why I took up running!

07/12/2012 at 16:26

Oh yeah some hockey at school in winter... I was never running fit so my lungs were always on fire as I ran after the ball.

07/12/2012 at 16:33

I was in Kenya this year...the waters were amazing and warm, nothing like in Europe. I dont even dare to take a dip in the seas around england or other european countries, far too cold!

07/12/2012 at 16:46

Your times are amazing! Sure you'll do well in this, and marathon time definately achievable, especially with a base like that.

Are all South Africans the same- trying every sport known, and trying 110% at those- the ones I met in Sydney were exactly like you (but a bit hairier and less pretty )

07/12/2012 at 19:30
Good luck caroline - You've got my vote and the support of The natural running project, we will help you in anyway we can
07/12/2012 at 21:01
Clive Kelty wrote (see)

Are all South Africans the same- trying every sport known, and trying 110% at those- the ones I met in Sydney were exactly like you (but a bit hairier and less pretty )

Yes Clive we're pretty much all the same, and always wanting to enter crazy endurance events, it's actually no different from here and especially after chatting to all you lot and reading all your stories .

Ps, massive repect for the stomach and gullet surgery that you do! You were very modest when I met you! I love doing surgery the most in our daily practice goings on but my operations will be no where as tricky and delicate as yours. Well done with how far you've come in the competition so far xox

07/12/2012 at 21:18

Thanx pixie_feet, I can only dream of being as fast as you one day. You've had some brilliant results recently xox

08/12/2012 at 08:38
morning caro. .the more I read about you the more I like you....n the more I'm gutted we're in the same category
08/12/2012 at 10:53
Hi Caroline. Out of all the threads ive read so far, yours is the one with the most love and kind words! I don't think I got the chance to meet you at boot camp. What would breaking 3hrs mean to you?

Coming from South Africa have you ever been tempted to run Comrades?
08/12/2012 at 17:42

HI Shady_Ady... I'm sorry we didn't get to meet at BC but I'm ENJOYING getting to know you and your sense of humour. I was tucked into a tub of Ben & Jerry's (a Friday night treat after a long week!) whilst watching your video... which was very appropriate!

I was going to enter the 2013 Comrades for the 1st time (never done it before) but I'm enjoying my new found speed and I didn't want to lose that just yet? (I don't know much about ultra distance running / training?). I'm also hoping to qualify for a GB Age Group place for the World Triathlon Champs taking place in Hyde Park London in Sept 2013 so that is my other GOAL for next year  Will definitely do a Comrades one day xox

Edited: 08/12/2012 at 17:45
09/12/2012 at 01:36

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/471967/gallery/christmasparty1_1.jpg?width=350

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/471967/gallery/christmasparty2_1.jpg?width=350

There were some serious GANGNAM STYLE moves going down on the dance floor tonight . Great party & a great year for us ladies as a team overall!

09/12/2012 at 19:34

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/471967/gallery/rwsuperwoman_0.jpg?width=350

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/471967/gallery/rwlargegroup_1.jpg?width=350

An amazing weekend with a brilliant Christmas Party last night with extremely fun filled people, then to cap it off a 6.5ish mile run through woods & mud this morning at the Maidstone Harriers Turkey Run! I found it REALLY tough due to my lack of sleep with all the excitement that's been going on ! More celebrations to come tomorrow... watch this space...

09/12/2012 at 19:54

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/471967/gallery/rwgroup2.jpg?width=350

21 to 40 of 71 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.