Vote for A.W - ASICS Target 26.2

'PB Hunter' Category

21 to 40 of 75 messages
08/12/2012 at 11:33

Congratulations on getting through to this stage! Hope you make it all the way to Paris!!

A.W
08/12/2012 at 12:15

Thanks Emily!

I really appreciate your support, I have everything crossed that I'm lucky enough to get picked in the final 5. But if its not to be I'm sure the 5 who do go will do a great job!

Just back in from a nice little tempo session - so the shops open to any questions again!?

A.W
08/12/2012 at 18:31

Evening Alex! How was the tempo session? What did you do and how far did you go? I'd like to be as speedy as you so looking for tips!

A.W
08/12/2012 at 19:57

Hope your enjoying all the cake RRR!!!

My tempo session was good thanks, took a bit to get me going though today! Always have a couple of miles warm up and the crank up the pace. Did 7.5 undulating miles in total with 4 miles sandwiched in the middle at tempo pace averaging about 6.10-6.15 a mile.

Love the feeling after the hard runs, very satisfying!

A.W
A.W
09/12/2012 at 07:25

Long run day with the club this morning - 15 miles to be done!

A.W
A.W
09/12/2012 at 14:16

15 miles in the bag today! Lovely run with my club.

Its been a good weeks running, and being part of this competition is really giving me the extra drive and motivation to push on and get the sessions done.

I've got a real buzz from everything that's been going on with this process. In a way I think that one of the real benefits of getting into the final 5 would be the whole experience of sharing the ups and downs with people on here. 

Having loads of people watching your progress just adds that little extra push which I believe will make all the difference to the end performance!

Its like having someone else to be accountable to, who you don't want to let down!

A.W
09/12/2012 at 16:51

Hi A.W

Firstly really inspired that you're going for sub 3. I've been running for 4 years and I've never got close. Knowing how hard it is it's amazing to think someone can push themselves to get that time.

Do you train alone or in groups? I'm considering joining a running club but I'm a bit daunted!

Thanks and GOOD LUCK! I really want to see someone go the extra mile and get such an incredible time!

Laura

A.W
09/12/2012 at 20:23
Hey Laura.

I mainly train alone, but at least one of my runs a week is done with my club. Its really nice running with the club, gives you another focus to break up the routine.

Get to a club, its helped me, I'm sure it will help you too.

Thanks for your support, it means a lot.
A.W
10/12/2012 at 08:07

Hi Alex. I'm really enjoying your posts -they're providing me with some great inspiration. I've done a couple of marathons but, to my shame, my times are slipping. I'd ideally like to shave around seven minutes off my PB, to get under 3:30. I run around 30 to 35 miles a week, mostly over the flat. But it's all pretty much at the same pace. I know they say mixing your training up helps but what would you recommend? Good luck in getting through to the final!

10/12/2012 at 09:38

Hi Alex. I don't think I met you in person at BC and it's a pity we're competing against each other in the same group . Like I just said on the main forum, I think you ALREADY have a great following and you are very super quick! I will DEFINITELY be supporting you and following your training and tips if you win. I would very much like to follow in your footsteps speed wise one day! Well done so far! x Caroline

A.W
10/12/2012 at 10:03
Hey thanks CaroT, your pretty quick yourself and made massive progress the last couple of years! Let's hope whatever the outcome of the competition we can all get to our goals this spring.

I too shall be keeping a keen eye on the threads and giving what support I can if I'm not one of the lucky ones.
A.W
10/12/2012 at 12:55

Afternoon Alex,

I see your still training hard, 10k off road for me today to prep for my last xc race of the year on Wednesday afternoon.

Quick question, I see you guys are going to be using the MyAsics tool to set a plan out. I have just set one up and it only lets you go up to 4 runs a week, is that what you are likely to be doing?

Jmrs

A.W
10/12/2012 at 13:21

Thanks for your kind words Jamie,

In my experience so far to get where I am now, adding structured speed/pace work has been a big factor in my improvement. At one point a few years ago I used to run all my runs too hard at the same pace, it was only when I made easy runs easy and left the hard running to interval sessions and tempo sessions that I started to progress again.

But hey I'm no expert and that's part of why I'm in this competition!

A.W
A.W
10/12/2012 at 13:30

Hi Jimmers hows it going? Good luck with your xc on Wednesday, my last xc is on Saturday then have a 10K just before new year.

I've heard about the MyAsics tool and had a little look, it did seem a little lite on running to what I'm used to. If I get through to the final 5 I will go with whatever the coaches advise, I'm not sure how much modification to the MyAsics schedule the coaches are intending, if any, so will wait and see.

We will know by Sunday whats in store as that's when the schedules are due to start I think.

A.W
A.W
10/12/2012 at 16:38

Legs were a bit reluctant to get going today, a bit heavy after a hard weekends running!! But a nice 5 miles done now.

Time to put my feet up and catch up with the other threads!!

A.W
A.W
11/12/2012 at 09:26
So, as voting draws close to finishing we enter the last 24 hours for fourumites to probe us for information and cast their votes!

My last plea for votes? I'm desprate to get this chance to prove myself and get the PB I've been trying to get for 4 years, and a goal of sub 3 hours marathon that I've been working for 6 years to achieve. This could be my big break through year with the help of you guys and the Asics team!?
A.W
11/12/2012 at 11:21

Your training seems to be ticking along nicely... good luck with the comp but also with your goals if you aren't lucky enough to make it through.

Would like to have a stab at sub 3 myself one day but my half time is still a fair bit slower than you so plenty of work to do for me... on paper it looks to be within your grasp so looking forward to following your training with interest if you get through.

11/12/2012 at 11:28

Thanks for the reply Alex. That's really helpful. One other question. I reckon I am running around 1,200 miles a year. But I've run in the same trainers for the last two years. They're a bit worn at the sides on the sole but they are comfortable. How often do you change your trainers? Once again, good luck!

11/12/2012 at 11:48

Get them changed Jamie

Even if they still feel comfortable, the cushioning will have degraded a fair bit over that time. Must admit to being a bit careful with my trainers since my injuries, even to the extent that if I run twice in the same day, I will use a different pair for each run. I read a wihle back that even a decent pair of trainers will get compressed during a run and it takes a bit of time for the cushioning to recover fully.... not sure how true that is but it sounds reasonable.

After a couple of years, you must be due a new pair.... treat yourself!!

A.W
11/12/2012 at 12:02
As said above, I'm a bit of a trainer junkie it has to be said, but your definately due a new pair!! The most common recommendation is to change them every 300-600 miles I think!?
A.W
21 to 40 of 75 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.