Vote for DS2 - RW Asics 26.2

Turning back time - GFA category

21 to 40 of 194 messages
05/12/2012 at 22:23

For those that have run Paris before can you advise what the course is like nowadays. I ran my first marathon there but it was in 1986 (before I became a proper runner!) and all I remember is quite a lot of cobbled streets - and it was very warm, but it was in May back then!

Anyone help?

05/12/2012 at 22:50

Any questions will have to wait til morning. I'm off to bed so I can get my 'stupid O'clock' run in before I go to work.

Seeing as I'm constantly on these forums at the moment I need to get in early to at least get some work done first thing!

05/12/2012 at 23:49
Well you will get used to what I call dark o'clock running as its always dark no matter what time it is am or pm. Put the miles in and a couple of weekly tempo runs and you will be fine. There are still people in the 55 + age group running sub 3 hours.
06/12/2012 at 08:20

Got up early to run and it was minus 4! Lovely

I've done a lot of my running in recent years on a treadmill, but I gave up my gym membership so it would force me outside. Best decision I ever made. I'd forgotten just how great running outside feels, whatever the weather. As long as you have the right clothes on, that is.

Happy winter running!

06/12/2012 at 08:44
Out for my first run of the day as I have started doing doubles on a Tuesday and Thursday again in my base training will add a few miles each week to both till its 2x7 miles with the first as a Tempo run. Slotted in on the Wednesday will be my medium long run done at an easy pace this is 10 miles at the moment but will build up to 14/15. My long runs on a Sunday which is 12 at the moment but will up to 23. Love running in the morning and the cold the best time is Feb/March watching day break.
06/12/2012 at 08:52

No Pain - couldn't agree more. I take it you follow the P&D schedules? How many miles do you do generally?

When I set my PB I was running between 55-70 and intend to get back there over the next 18 months to give me a chance at a sub 3 at 50. I know I probably need that kind of mileage but worried I may break down. I guess I need to be careful.

Any advice will be appreciated.

I'm doing about 35-40 pw now but last week I had a cut back week and can feel the benefit of it this week.

06/12/2012 at 09:01
Last week I did 54 this week it will be 60+ over the past 3 years I have built up from 70 to 90 but I was only at that for a max of 3 weeks. My aim is to keep building up to the 90 miles a week before dropping back down into the70's where I will sharpen up on the speed. It's based on P&D but my intervals are all half mile efforts nothing shorter than that as I found I got injured. But it's surprising how you can still push an old body
06/12/2012 at 09:43

That's exactly what I need to hear No Pain. I will take it carefully but I too won't do less than 800m intervals. In fact I probably will do mostly mile reps for my marathon training.

Having said that, I need to do something speedwise!

I will probably bother you again as things progress if you don't mind!

I am the oldest person left in the competition so I need to do something for the greying/balding brigade!

06/12/2012 at 10:08
Lol we can still give the young pups a run for there money.
06/12/2012 at 10:13

I like to think so! You certainly are!

Are there any forums on here for the older runner. I'm sure I could nab a few votes there!

06/12/2012 at 10:34

DS2

all the best

06/12/2012 at 10:47

Thanks micknphil  - I remember seeing you guys featured on one of the televised events. Keep up the good work.

My godson has cerebral palsy, pretty severely, but lives a full life and gets his kicks from competing on a quad bike.

My kids disability is easier in some respects because physically they have little restriction other than dyspraxia. The mental disability is another story though!

Nice to hear from you!

Are you due to race in the South East anytime soon. be great to meet you both!

06/12/2012 at 10:56

Hi

televised event ?? where was that then ?

south east - i dont know tbh - i've had a bad year - and am now in recovery from having a NON milignant  lung tumour operation

i resume running in January - how things will go i have no idea  

but yes, it would be great to meet

06/12/2012 at 11:07

DS2, I was one of lucky ones last year the course is pretty much flat apart from 4 underpasses.  It starts on the champs eyleese (sp?) then out to the zoo before returning along the seine before looping through longchamp to finish at the arc du triomphe.

If you get through Steve will be having you doing a full range of reps (some very very evil sessions!)

06/12/2012 at 11:09

I was sure it was a televised event unless it was in the RW magazine. You have a website don't you? I remember taking a look before. Maybe I'm confused but I'm certain I remember seeing you running along pushing your lad. Maybe it was just a picture. At my age the mind plays funny tricks!

Good luck with the recovery. Delighted it was non-malignant. I shall folow your progress and it would be great to keep in touch. Do you contribute to any of the forums on a regular basis?

06/12/2012 at 11:11

Choisty - Yes, I remember following you. Tough session are what we like. makes you feel alive....... afterwards!

Were there a series of underpasses on the course. There were when I ran back in 1986!

06/12/2012 at 11:13

RW - sometimes, just not as much as i used to - i lurk more

and fetcheveryone website, i  lurk amd blog there

No facebook, or Twiter or anything ......

feel most free to keep in touch

06/12/2012 at 11:30

Great to have met you DS2, all the very best, I'll be following your progress and join you for a run maybe in the near future?!

06/12/2012 at 11:38

DS2 - the Runner's World sub 3 schedule has delivered me two sub 3 marathons - including this year at the age of 56. Mileage peaks in the low 60s and I include one track session in that. I know nothing about HADD, P&D and I don't do the different pace sessions that the Runner's World one recommends, but just try to keep my overall pace for the week up to below 07:30, 07:15 on a really good week. As I live on the edge of the Cotswolds there is a lot of ascent and descent in that.

Ohh yes. I also do the full 26.2 in a training runs but absolutely nobody recommends doing that!

As an oldie, you get my vote, but of course as an oldie I don't how to vote and shock horror I am not on any social networking sites!

The Runner's World magazine for January has a big article on marathon training which you might find interesting. One of the case studies is on someone even older than yourself I guess.

Good luck!

06/12/2012 at 11:40

CaroT - Indeed it was and I hope so too. Good luck with the comp! Didn't realsie you were a Vet - where do you practise?

21 to 40 of 194 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.