Vote for not voting for people who have just joined!

If they aren't regular RW forum users then they are just users!

1 to 20 of 130 messages
04/12/2013 at 13:09

I'm sure you are aware that Runners World Magazine have asked people to post to the forums. Why not take it up with them?

I understand where you are coming from though even though I have been here before I am not a regular. At the risk of upsetting the regulars - don't read the posts and don't vote if you are not happy with the competition rules.

Gareth

04/12/2013 at 13:25

I'm with Flob, my vote will go to those who have been regulars and will still be posting even if they don't win a place...

04/12/2013 at 13:30

A lot of this would be solved if they simply adopted a 'first 5 posts are moderated before being allowed through', that way its a simple once over their posts just to avoid anything that is spammy etc ........ 5 posts is enough to put most spammers off having to go through the rigmarole of posting seemingly legit posts just to get their spam posts through later.

Pudge    pirate
04/12/2013 at 13:32

Chewie and Mr I, in the same room once again....hmmmmm.......

04/12/2013 at 13:33

I was just about to say that!

04/12/2013 at 13:37

Careful though Pudge, if you keep popping up as well, Paulie might think you're another alter ego...

04/12/2013 at 13:42

I thought people who were the same person weren't normally seen in the same room? I'm not them, by the way.

And even if it took this competition for the new people to discover the technological marvel that is the RW forum, surely they won't be able to stay away now that their eyes have been opened? Everyone's got to start somewhere. I'm pretty sure my first post was made to spammily accept a spare race entry off a total stranger.

Pudge    pirate
04/12/2013 at 13:53

You mean 'ticket' surely, Literatin?

04/12/2013 at 14:02

Oops. Yes, I meant to say 'ticket'. Also I should add that I was DESPERATE to run it, but had forgotten to enter and it had sold out.

Pudge    pirate
04/12/2013 at 14:05
literatin wrote (see)

Oops. Yes, I meant to say 'ticket'. Also I should add that I was DESPERATE to run it, but had forgotten to enter and it had sold out.

04/12/2013 at 14:05

Thinking about it though, I dont mind the Asics 26.2 spammers, at the end of the day its obvious what their posts are, and you know its just a one off ......... its not like those hookers in dubai or american basketball spams that are constantly here.

seren nos    pirate
04/12/2013 at 14:20

this happens every year.so either just join in or walk away from the computer for a few days....

and the way it is done now lots of those shortlisted hang around as they get to know each other..lots from last year did...

so welcome th chance to get fresh blood into the forums

04/12/2013 at 14:20

Well I think if the regulars want to be awkward then the forum will not be the welcome place they say it is.

Remember people are just following what they have been asked to do by Runners World.

Gareth

04/12/2013 at 14:21

Dont worry Gareth ........ you know what forums are like, some people get defensive about it when strangers wander in.

Dont worry, theres lots of friendly people here ........ me, Samir ......Scott ... to name but 3.

04/12/2013 at 14:22

yes not everyone who has entered will have been on the forums before.

I have been on here for a couple of years but Gareth is right, all finalists were asked to make a forum post exactly as they have done, as part of the entry requirements

seren nos    pirate
04/12/2013 at 14:23

but its good to be awkward to see how people react....you get to see a bit more of their character and personality.

are they a flouncer or are they just super calm.........can they turn it into a joke.will they just go and sulk or will they get nasty and aggressive........

its good to get people to reveal a bit more about themselves as they will be keeping a thread going for 4 months or more

04/12/2013 at 14:26

I don't think it's a case of not being welcoming, and out of interest how many running clubs would allow members to join shortly before their London marathon place draw and allow them to be eligible to win one of the places...?

04/12/2013 at 14:28

I always thought it was just a way for RW to check whether their shortlisted entrants are likely to be crap at forumming or not. But now they say it's all on votes rather than that just being 'part' of the selection process I guess it doesn't matter as much. They'll just have to hope they don't end up with someone who can't string a sentence together but has lots of facebook friends.

04/12/2013 at 14:33

Hey Flob

I can see that regular forum users might be annoyed by jumping on the forums just to tout for votes.  But some of the asics competitors, like me, might have been avid RW readers for years.  I enjoy readers letters and comments on races as much as the articles.  I guess am saying that people shouldn't be punished for not being on the forums when they are part of the wider RW community.

Sub 4

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/target262/finalists.aspx

04/12/2013 at 14:38

I'm sure everyone is friendly really.

1 to 20 of 130 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.