Vote for sills

in the Asics Target 26.2 GFA Catagory

21 to 33 of 33 messages
07/12/2012 at 13:22

Thanks seren. I've seen you all over the place on here but don't know much about your runnning. You're profile says you're into Ultras, what sort of distances do you do?

09/12/2012 at 20:56
All sorts of shenanigans going on over tbe weekend, the highlight of which was a playing Blind Pew, the murderer, in a Pirates murder mystery, Aarrr!

5am alarm set for the morning to get the week off to a good start with a cheeky 10miles. The final countdown begins to the midday voting deadline on Wednesday, exciting times ahead!
10/12/2012 at 08:47

Morning all. 

This 5am running lark really is proving to be a revalation. After a hectic weekend, starting off the week with an easy 9 miles was a great start to the week. After making sure I was properly hydrated, been drinking litres of water over the weekend, I got round no problem without taking any fluid on during the run. Did have to make an emergency stop at the shell garage en-route...still have a few things to learn about heading out for a run first thing!

Was still dark when I got back home, so have been sticking to the street lit pavements, but if this is going to become the standard time of the day to run, I need to figure out how to reduce time pounding the pavements. Has anyone stopping by to read this today ever run with a head torch on? I think I may have to dig mine out to get some time in on the un-lit trails...

11/12/2012 at 08:34

Morning all, starting to feel like I'm talking to myself on here but will battle on as I actually quite enjoy coming on here with my morning coffee!

5;30 alarm this morning to get me up for an easy 7 miles cross country. After some good chat on the Target 26.2 thread last night I thought it time to dig out my head torch to let me escape the street lit pavements. Was great fun this morning loved being out as the sky slowly started to light up, really did feel like I had the whole world to myself.

It was seriously cold, not sure the temperature but think frost and ice on pavements. As soon as I got onto the trails a few hundred metres from my house I actually struggled to see...the air was so cold that as my breath crossed the beam of the headtorch, the light reflected back and I couldn't see a thing! Just like when your headlights become useless in thick fog. Took a little while to get used to but got there.

I live about 2 miles from Thames and there is a great 3 mile stetch of the Thames Path that I often take  in on my runs. It flooded pretty bad a couple of weeks ago and today was the first time I've ventured back down there, gald I did as was amazingly peaceful running with the water glistening in the dull light of the moon and stars.

It got me thinking that not many people ever eaxperience what I did this morning...some people would say I'm mad heading out into the pitch black at 5:30 in sub zero temperatures...but I would say that they are the ones that are seriously missing out!

Have a good day everyone

11/12/2012 at 20:16

Sills - I didn't realise you hadn't run a marathon before! You're going for GFA on your first attempt - I love it!

What's your plan if Paris is a no-go? Do you have an alternative race lined up? 

11/12/2012 at 21:42
Malcs, ambitious goal I know for a first time but sure I have it in me. I could have fitted quite easily into a number of the categories but this is where I ended up...feel a bit of an intruder alongside some pretty accomplished runners!

Plan, should I not get into Paris, was always to get as close to 80min in the Reading HM (defo sub 83), get a 10k pb along the way, with an increase in mileage throughout the year to get my GFA in Abingdon in Oct.

However events over the last few weeks have got me buzzing about the prospect of a spring marathon so now seriously considering scrapping those plans and gunning for Milton Keynes in May...let's just wait and see what happens over the next 48hrs, the end of this torture is in sight!

What's your plans if this doesn't happen?
11/12/2012 at 22:32
I believe you can do it. HM at 83 mins is damn good going so if you can get there your sub 3:10 should well be possible - from what I understand of course, this is definitely not from experience!

I can recommend branching out into the other forum threads if you want advice. I've got some great help already. Try the sub 3:15 thread.

I'll be doing Llanelli in April if I don't get the nod. Then again it's tempting just to book in for Paris anyway. A few people are considering this. We'll see - depends on finances.

Best of luck to you!
12/12/2012 at 07:48

Hi Sills just a quick note to wish you good luck and been great keeping the Bootcamp party going, first marathon a good for age yes you can do it, get the half marathons in and some 2hours or 20miles in and your there i,m

Did i mention the Alpine Lowe Mountain Marathon?

12/12/2012 at 11:32
Thanks for your vote of confidence Tony. Not heard of the Alpine Lowe Marathon, will look it up when I get home, have you done it?

Nearly there now, good luck everyone
12/12/2012 at 11:35

Sills - the sub 3:15 thread is a great source of information and encouragement and more than a few laughs. many of them have already run under (or well under) 3 hours and I think you'll gain more from them than the Sub 3 crowd at the moment.

I directed Clive and Malcs there and they seem happy they did.

12/12/2012 at 11:38
Thanks for the tip on the sub 3:15 thread malcs / DS2, will get on there and introduce myself later in the week, this one is a little crazy with work!
12/12/2012 at 11:42
Morning Sills!

Good luck!! Unfortunately can't say what I've said to the others "hopefully see you in London at the weekend ..." But I wanted to wish you luck and will be following your progress whether its towards Paris or another marathon.
12/12/2012 at 12:03

Well done Sills - all over now. You can relax and prepare for a restless night's sleep this evening

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 33 of 33 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.