Vote for Tony's onthebeach - Asicis Target 26.2

Good for Age! it's all the running

21 to 40 of 65 messages
08/12/2012 at 14:21
Thanks Tony. I'm glad that your wife is much better, although lymphoedema can be extremely troublesome. My mums like my best friend, so running and spending time with her was a lovely treat at the weekend which I do miss, but I get to drag her to races and to meadowhall now instead. My dad had to stop running just as I started so I've never had the chance to run with him unfortunatey.

Steve, I'm up for the thunder run, I'm free that weekend, love a challenge and it would be great to meet up with everyone again.

Shady, your poor wife, that's awful, some people are so horrible. Bet they couldn't have managed as far as your wife. I read that to, about Mo, might have been the jan issue that ive just read, it had loads on spring marathons.
08/12/2012 at 15:13

Hi Tony. Great story!.

Yes it was RW this month said about Mo. I like lifting wts...so I was happy reading that. I think wts have def helped me build strengh n power that helps me up those hills!

08/12/2012 at 16:16

Good luck and all success in Paris Tony!!

08/12/2012 at 17:47
I agree with Jen, there's not many hills where I live but I never suffer on the hills in races or when I head back to Sheffield which I think is all down to the weights (and the occasional little hill training)!
08/12/2012 at 19:42

Hi Tony,

Glad to see you are back into your running again after all the issues you have had.Being a fellow NRR,i remember you bombing around the streets of newquay on weds nights during the winter.I'm sure you'll do well in Paris if selected and getting this far must have given you plenty of motivation.

08/12/2012 at 19:55

Hi jenf . . . . that's it then more weights!

Cheers Richard fingers crossed it's either Paris or the Duchy!!

sarah . . . . . we have plenty of hills and just like DS2 does not matter which way I go it is either up or down.

Althought a flatest run is the Camel Trail disused railway which follows the river camel that starts at Padstow with open estury views going to Wadebridge 5m then to Bodmin (Borough Arms Pub at Dunmere) with wooded valley 5.5m then to Pooleys Bridge 6.5m with step wooded valleys with trees arching completly over the trail http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/pdf/cway_leaflet_camel1%5B1%5D.pdf

This is our optum 2 hour or 20 mile pre London training ground a mudt if visiting Cornwall

08/12/2012 at 20:17

Hi kessman . . . thank you very much for the kind words and good to here from you,  yes excellent memories and I am sure I will be back to club night but when Lisa's Mom asked her to attend tap Dancing class at the age of 74! , I could not do anything but encorage to take the opportunity to spend that time with her Mom

NNR club night will have to wait but in the mean time I will continue to listern to Sandstorm which linked with getting this far has got me back to an amazing level motivation I feel 30 again!!!

09/12/2012 at 11:36

The camel Trail looks amazing...if im ever down that way i will have it in mind 

09/12/2012 at 12:14

Hi Sarah, yes and there are more just not quite as flat, we have the Portreath to Devron trail which is practically a coast to coast trail.

Please just ask if you need any info

Did I see you played netball? only was once asked to play for charity once with work collegues we turned up to find the other teams were made up by the actual netball team members needless to say we got whipped! but hard good fun nearly got sent off for running into the wrong zone ?

09/12/2012 at 14:57

Tony - what does it feel like to run a 2hr 37 minute marathon? That's what, 6 minute miles? I can't quite get that into my head.  

Do you finish the race a complete wreck like us mere mortals or is it like finishing a 10K, where you feel tired but after a quick breather you're fine? Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'd really like to know if those at the top of the tree find it any easier than the rest of us.

09/12/2012 at 16:01

Hi Malcs - it does feeling amazing and for me it was very much down to the runners at Newquay Road Runners and them encouraging and pulling me on plus all the local races.

The 37:21 part was a little miscalculation in that my target was to get to 10m in an hour and then20m in 2 hours which I did and then just telling my self just a 10k to go and at 20 I mis-calculated what needed to do so carried on at 6 minute miling although I could hve done 6:25 for a 2:40 which was my target

I certainly could not have ran any further, stiff for  quite while but by the looks of it there is alink with alcohol and muscle soreness doh!

It is not a stupid question and no it is hard it does hurt and getting back to anything like I used to run is going to be hard just got back from 10m coastpath took it steady but still very hard

I think you have the potential I was told double your half marathon time and add 10 minutes so for me either I once did amazing in the marathon or my hald is not my true potential?

Hills that is something we have in abundance down here so to race and training all winter on them flat course feel great!

What is you Half PB?

09/12/2012 at 19:34
thanks for post on my thread.

quick question: do you do lots beach running? do you find it hard on the calf muscles?
09/12/2012 at 19:57

Thanks Tony - I don't know if I feel reassured or disappointed but at least I know now

Btw. my Half PB is 1:34.

09/12/2012 at 19:58

no worries, good to keep in touch

I don't do that much and it tends to be on the harder than soft sand

The one thing I have always been told is that it is very good, but it will seek out any weakness a runner may have ?

I normally have tight calf's and I think it is hard on mine too

09/12/2012 at 20:59

HaHaHa... my weakness is just being slow then!!!

09/12/2012 at 21:58

Jenf -  come on . . .  still set PB's would indicate you have not reached you true potential yet!

10/12/2012 at 20:48

Thanks Tony, thats really nice of you. I do play netball but ive only been playing for the last 2 years. I played at primary school but then did basketball instead in secondary school. A friend talked me into trying it again 2 years ago. I do enjoy it, but its not running. I will always put my running first

10/12/2012 at 21:43

Sarah - I know what you mean I started gig rowing a number of years ago but races started clashing and my loyalty lay with my first love which was running!

11/12/2012 at 11:16

Whats gig rowing?

11/12/2012 at 14:45

Hi Tony How do I vote for you?

Cheers

Lesley

21 to 40 of 65 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.