Vote Sarah in GFA - previously lardy girl does good! ;)

Previous Salad Dodger, Addicted to Running, Needs Votes for a Boston Qualifier!

21 to 40 of 231 messages
06/12/2012 at 09:42

Love your blog. Well done on the amazing weight loss , you have my vote good luck 

06/12/2012 at 09:54

Joanne - Inspired? Woo hoo! (Preens) I'd definitely use a Coach to 5k programme if you haven't run before - it definitely makes it easier if you know you've got a walk break coming up and just have to hold out another minute or so! Also ... once you can run for 10 minutes non-stop, you've pretty much cracked this running lark - it gets easier from there!

Have you got trainers that are comfortable and in decent nick? These are pretty much the only essential gear but I'd recommend getting yourself some comfortable and pretty running tops and trousers too. You’ll want to be comfortable and look forward to your runs and it’s always nice having new things to wear! I was very self-conscious when I started running but nobody is really watching – if they are, they’re probably only thinking “I wish I could do that!”

Re apps, I’ve got Strava Run on my phone and have used RunKeeper in the past. Both are good, but I’d recommend a Couch to 5K app to begin with. Also don’t forget to keep a training log of your runs – when I’m struggling to go out, I find it helps to look back and see how far I’ve come!

Another motivational tip I use is to earn my mince pies ... 2.5 mile run – that’s a mince pie when I get home!

06/12/2012 at 09:56

Morning Night Nurse! Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed the blog! I had to start writing my running down as I kept talking about it to my partner Simon and he kept getting glazed eyes and huffing at me every time I mentioned the word "run" ...

06/12/2012 at 13:15

Best of luck in your endeavers

06/12/2012 at 13:20

Thank you Roger!!

06/12/2012 at 13:24
That's great info Sarah, thank you so much.

I really hope you do well in this as having read the other profiles it is you that sticks as to me as someone who would really benefit from winning

I might pop back with another question once I have a short list of trainers if that's ok?

Good luck
06/12/2012 at 13:38

Joanne - you're welcome! Of course you can ask me about the trainers ... but it would only be my opinion! Might be worth popping into your local running shop if you're looking to invest in some new ones So ... why running? Is it something you've done before? Or just something you've always fancied trying?

06/12/2012 at 14:11
I used to run x country at school but not for many years now!

I need to lose weight and can't afford the gym costs! So I want to try running
06/12/2012 at 15:15

Cross country??! Then you're already a hardcore runner in my book!! I've done a couple of cross country races recently and the runners have been AMAZING!! Have you got a local club? I bet they'd love to hear from you!

I did my first proper cross country in Coventry recently. It was fantastic but brutal - I was SO pleased to get a hot cup of soup at the end!!

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/645234/gallery/xc_coombe.jpg?width=350

mcs
06/12/2012 at 15:17

Finally realised with the help of SB you were at Bootcamp last year!!!! All the best for no2 go........

06/12/2012 at 15:26

Thank you MCS! Loved last year and meeting SB and Boduke but I'd only been running a year then so pacing and long runs were all fairly new!  The time trial last year was also the first time I'd ever been on a track! But what a fab introduction...!

Have got some half marathons and a marathon under my belt now so I had a pace for all of the track work! SB was a real inspiration too as she had shown me that a 3:45 marathon was possible on the first go! Have been popping in and out of the Au Revoir Cobbles thread every now to say hi to everyone from last year too!

06/12/2012 at 15:52

RRR thank you for your comment on my page. You have a very interesting & inspirational story! I struggled with my weight growing up too and I can relate to your story in so many ways! It goes to show that nothing is impossible if you put your mind to something wholeheartedly 

06/12/2012 at 16:06

Hi CaroT! - Was really fab meeting you at bootcamp! And wow - you're SUPER quick! I hope I can follow in your very speedy footsteps!!

06/12/2012 at 17:36

Sarah, what's your position on serving children burnt food? Would you:

a) Try and disguise it with tommy (tomato) sauce?

b) Tell them that there's children who would gladly eat it? (they clearly wouldn't be)

c) Bin it and cook something fresh?

Edited: 06/12/2012 at 18:12
06/12/2012 at 20:09

So sorry you missed  out on the granola bars at bootcamp... but as I said to Seren I always take a supply to events...and I'll always share

06/12/2012 at 20:29

Evening Malcs - Brownie points for good question! Hmmm ... let me think. So how did the food get burned?

If it was me cooking and the food was burned then it was probably on a BBQ. (I usually use a steamer to cook which would mean the food would be all dried up or soggy, not burned) In which case, I reckon burned food on the BBQ is pretty standard (for me anyway!) and tomato ketchup is what I tend to use to cover up the burned bits. So yes ... I would feed my children burnt food!!

06/12/2012 at 20:30

JenF - So ... just checking ... which events are you going to this year? Just in the interest of going to cheer you on of course!

06/12/2012 at 20:52

I was attempting to operate something as complex as a 'fan assisted oven'. It would appear that they can get quite hot and if left to their own devices have the power to create carnage.

I went with your advice - earlier in the evening of course. I was waiting for an answer but the kids were starving and the burnt mess was getting cold so you left me no choice but to guess

Complete success! They didn't even notice. 

06/12/2012 at 21:09

Malcs - A fan assisted over? Sounds a bit complicated. I'd leave well alone and go with a camp fire and a long fork next time

06/12/2012 at 22:06

Eeek! I'm in the local paper about being in the running for this competition! How exciting!! I may see myself wrapped around a portion of chips any day now!

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/645234/gallery/newspaper_article.jpg?width=350

21 to 40 of 231 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.