Vote Steve in First TImer

I'll give up bacon if you vote for me...

41 to 60 of 190 messages
06/12/2012 at 13:59

mcs - I reckon we're going to create a national shortage. People will be panic-buying it by the weekend, you mark my words

06/12/2012 at 14:08

Not long I reckon - I'm 40 in a couple of months and I can take or leave it....

Best you start having it 4 times a day!

06/12/2012 at 14:08

Steve - You have the best part of twenty years yet.  However, that twenty years goes by in the blink of an eye.  So sad.  So very, very sad. 

Edited: 06/12/2012 at 14:09
06/12/2012 at 14:16

I can see myself having a mid-life crisis over this any day now...

06/12/2012 at 14:22
Steve loves bacon wrote (see)

I can see myself having a mid-life crisis over this any day now...

Ah yes.  I remember my first one of those.

06/12/2012 at 14:23
xine267 wrote (see)

Good luck Steve!

Do you think that you'll give running without music a go after the bootcamp experience? (I'm not one of the anti-ipod brigade by the way, I love my running playlists but I don't use them all the time - more when I think I'm going to need an external pick-me-up to get through the run!)  

Thanks xine267 

Well the plan is to join a running club so definitely yes.

I listen to music on the vast majority of my runs but I do go out every once in a while with no music, watch, smartphone, GPS and just run for the sheer hell of it - I always enjoy the change of pace and just seeing where my body takes me.

But I will still listen to music sometimes! I do find it can motivate me, as you say. I remember a particularly tough training run I really wasn't up for not long before my last half mara and I was seriously flagging around the 2hr mark... and then Eye of the Tiger came on the playlist entirely by chance. I think I actually laughed out loud and sped up and finished the training run on a high

What sort of things do you listen to? I can't handle really high-tempo stuff as I tend to try to run in time to the music and get knackered!

Haha, it's great when a song like that comes on and just helps you over the last hurdle - I was just winding down a run recently when the 1812 Overture (random!) started playing, made me feel like I had just done something completely amazing and all the canons & fireworks etc were being fired to celebrate

I seem to have about 528 running playlists with a real mix of stuff but I usually start off with Superstition by Stevie Wonder which has a really good pacing beat to stop me sprinting off too fast. My secret weapon is Rage Against The Machine, I feel invincible when they play.

06/12/2012 at 14:30

I went off bacon in my late teens/early 20s - texture thing (and I read a really lurid article in one of the Sunday Scandal Rags about a serial killer who said that frying up his victims smelled just like cooking bacon  ) but six years later and I've developed a love of it again so maybe the bacon-enjoyment-decline is not inevitable, or can be reversed It has to be well cooked though, not crispy, but not half raw like some places serve it. Can't stand undercooked bacon.

Have I just put everyone off bacon for life?

Edited: 06/12/2012 at 14:31
06/12/2012 at 14:39

06/12/2012 at 14:41
xine267 wrote (see)

Haha, it's great when a song like that comes on and just helps you over the last hurdle - I was just winding down a run recently when the 1812 Overture (random!) started playing, made me feel like I had just done something completely amazing and all the canons & fireworks etc were being fired to celebrate

I seem to have about 528 running playlists with a real mix of stuff but I usually start off with Superstition by Stevie Wonder which has a really good pacing beat to stop me sprinting off too fast. My secret weapon is Rage Against The Machine, I feel invincible when they play.

Haha - how many playlists?? I'm clearly talking to a pro...

That's just made me think - I reckon the Dambusters theme would be awesome running music. Totally downloading that when I get home and going out running with my arms outstretched.

ps RATM = a great choice. Lost Prophets always sort me right out

06/12/2012 at 15:05
RunnyRunRun wrote (see)

So ... if you don't get into Paris through the thread will you be doing any other marathons this year? Or have you got any other races planned?

RRR whoops, forgot this bit! I entered VLM for 2013... and got a nice shiny rejection magazine...

My friend emailed the other day with a link to the Tokyo marathon in 2014 - I know it's not next year but... wow! What an experience that would be! Anybody want to come with??

06/12/2012 at 15:11

xine - thanks for sharing!!!!! Eurghhhhhhhhhhhhh

06/12/2012 at 15:26

Free diet tips!

06/12/2012 at 16:35

Hi Steve,

Just wanted to get in touch to say Good Luck, would have done so earlier but damn it's hard to saty on top of all the threads. Kind of wish I could do a Keanu Reeves and plug myself directly in! And in answer to your question I'd love to go to the Tokyo Marathon with you, so long as you're buying the ticket! 

A.

06/12/2012 at 19:53

BoDuke - I just watched the vid from last year... I almost wish I hadn't - I've got so many butterflies in my stomach... I want this so, so, so bad now!

IndyMcQueen - cheers mate, can't believe we're against each other, and Mel as well! And to top that, I was sat next to RunRickyRun in the lecture theatre...

Best of luck to you, Aaron - will follow you all the way if you get it. Although, I will be honest - I have already voted for someone else in your category See you in Tokyo!

06/12/2012 at 20:13
HaHa, me too! I couldn't believe we were all picked either, what are the odds... About 4/47 I guess!
06/12/2012 at 22:44

Lol I guess so! Glad we both ended up on the forum - so nice to chat to people all day about running without them yawning in my face...

06/12/2012 at 22:50

so nice to chat to people all day about running without them yawning in my face...

06/12/2012 at 22:55

I kind of walked into that one, didn't I?

seren nos yn canu    pirate
07/12/2012 at 09:09

what do you hope to gain from the forums and what do you think you can give to the forums

07/12/2012 at 09:55

Argh Xine267 - just spotted your comment! Noooo! Don't spoil the bacon love!!

41 to 60 of 190 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.