Waddling through

Penguin pace at London

1 to 20 of 60 messages
10/03/2003 at 21:08
OK, I've done three paced runs now with the RW 'Get You Round' pacers. So far I haven't finished with them once.

On Sunday at Sutton Park I was again a bit concerned at the pace, which was fine for most people, but was just a bit too fast for me to keep up for the distance

Can't make this Sunday as I have other commitments, so that's it for this year until FLM day itself.

Despite assurances that I'll be fine for London, I'd like some information about the pace that the Get You Round squad will be run/walking. The last thing I want to do is start at a 10 minute mile pace, then spend the last 10 miles in agony trying to walk on legs that say no...

Any advice or comments folks?
10/03/2003 at 21:18
HW, I'd like to get info on this group too, at Silverstone the slow group (that I dropped behind!) were going at 11:30/mile pace (ish). Not sure if this will be the "Get you round" group at FLM.

And aren't the last 10 miles supposed to be agony anyway? lol
10/03/2003 at 21:25
Thanks Adrian! I'll bring the glucose tablets :-)
10/03/2003 at 21:28
Do they have a 'hobble home' group?
10/03/2003 at 21:28
(I knew there was something else I was supposed to get at the supermarket today! lol)
10/03/2003 at 21:29
Come on RW and John Bingham - 'fess up, is there space for us plodders at the back or will you waddle on without us?
11/03/2003 at 07:40
Boing
11/03/2003 at 09:02
HW, check out...

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?sp=&v=1&uan=793

...if you haven't already.
11/03/2003 at 09:21
12 minute miles, finishing in 5:30 - yippee! I can manage 11:30 long distance, 1:00 for about 8-10 miles and less than that for shorter. H jumps for joy :-)
11/03/2003 at 09:53
Personally I'm going to ignore the pace groups. At Silverstone the sub 2hr lot flew off much too fast for me and they started way behind me. If I'd trie to keep up with them in those first couple of miles I'm sure I would have suffered later. As it happens I overtook them at 6 miles and finished in 1:49. I'd be very wary of a pace groups for FLM especially if you are like me and have fast an slow periods that seem to be random.
11/03/2003 at 09:58
Fast and slow? I personally only have slow and slower! lol
11/03/2003 at 09:59
HI HW .

I followed John Bingham and the Get you Round last year and I know you'll be OK.

John Bingham clocked time last year was around 5hrs 36mins. That is an average pace of about 12mins 49 secs/mile.

But Runners World have several people helping on the pace ion the Get you Round group on the day, not just John Bingham and ano. You will find they work as a team on this rounding you all up and nursing you all along. One of the first tasks they'll do is to combine the group together from the Red and Blue starts. They are fun to be with and without doubt being able to run with them and and many others of you that haven't done it before is extremely supportive. I've said before in these forums that the support and backup on the FLM isn't just very proffesional but I belive it to be very PERSONAL. Without doubt the help and assistance provided by FLM's own staff , Police, St John"s Ambulance, TNT with the bags!, helpers on the waterstops.....I just can't name them all, .Well I can't put it to words,and the crowds as well willing you on is just unbelievable. I remember standing at Cutty Sark in 2000 and a wheelchair competitor came round in front of the Cutty Sark where the ramp is and struggled a little, rolled back tried again, rolled back and then tried again, now I swear on his third try he was 'levitated' by the sheer will of the crowd.

When you've done it you'll know hat I mean!!!!!!!!

Best Wishes to all. Roger.........
11/03/2003 at 10:34
I tried to keep up with the run/walk group at Silverstone - they were doing about a 11.30 - 12.00 minute mile. I kept up with them for about 30 minutes, then lagged behind. I really suffered in the last few miles because of it too. I've resigned myself to not even keeping up with them - I'm just going to plod at the back by myself. May be next year....
11/03/2003 at 19:10
Hmm, I thought the Siverstone run/walk group was a bit quicker than that Charlotte. They finished in a chip time of 1:24:ish which is 11 min miling, and that's why I could only keep up for the first 8 miles.

Thanks for your encouragement Roger, especially as you know I puffed in after most other folks on Sunday! Did your son run?

Adrian, I liked your message - where has it gone???
12/03/2003 at 11:35
On the sponsorship you mean? For some reason the credit card got refused. It's now gone through (and been authorised!) so I can only imagine it's because I did several transactions from the one website in a short space of time. Barclays must have woken up and thought hey, what's the bloke doing, donating to charity three times in one day? lol
12/03/2003 at 17:26
Well, thanks again :-)
14/03/2003 at 08:14
Helen, Sorry I did not wait to see you at the end on Sunday, I wanted to see if I had it in me to do a little more, but the end I only managed to get to the next hill and chickened out. So on Wednesday I took a day's hol and shuffled my way round 20 all on my own. It took me 3.40 but I got there. I think at the London it will probably be better for me to shuffle along very slowly and try to keep going rather than do the run/walk schedule. Certainly won't be any quicker, but my legs seem to prefer it. I would have liked to be with the group for the companionship, so may yet hang around the tail end of the group. Perhaps see you there !
15/03/2003 at 10:31
Well done Cath, that sounds like a good way to cope with your own constraints. We may end up passing and repassing each other again :-)
16/03/2003 at 08:35
KK - agree about the crowd and support generally. You bought it all flooding back there!

Is there a Get-you-round group from the blue and the red starts? I've only ever started from 'red' before....
16/03/2003 at 19:15
Is any other 1st timer doing the Worthing 20 like me? - My last long run before the big day.
I've been at Silverstone and Sutton Park with the Runner's World pacers (the run / walk group.
Has been very helpful - did 15 today - but it's much harder on your own - even in the sunshine!
1 to 20 of 60 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.