Webchat with physio Sarah Connors

Join us at 1pm next Thursday (Feb 14) for a injury prevention Q&A

41 to 60 of 127 messages
13/02/2013 at 21:41

Hi Sarah,

I had ITBS about 3 months ago. After some treatment it was ok, not perfect but ok. Recently ive upped my mileage, not much just 500m extra every week on my long run. After about 20 mins i get an ache in my gluteus medius (thats the one near the top of the buttock right?). 10 mins later this ache has moved around to the outside of my hip which restricts my push off somewhat. Then the pain moves again,  to my hip flexor, which makes it painful to lift my leg so im ending my run with a shortened stride and in a bit of pain. After stretching, the next days ache is only in the hip flexor.  Is all this related to a weakness somewhere? But where? I played tennis to a high level for  afew years and have an over developed right side of my upper body. Could this be anything to do with it? Are there any strength tests i can do to identfiy a muscle weakness? Please dont say rest!

Many many thanks

13/02/2013 at 22:59
Hi Sarah , please can you give me some advice as I'm very frustrated up until about three months ago I was running on average 30 miles a week and had managed a 20mile run twice, whilst running a 13 mile run after about a mie I felt pain on the outside of right knee and underneath. I rested and iced it for about a week and was still tender so had a sports massage who told me it was my ITB band anyway three weeks later after rest and stretches it still had not improved got referred to a physio who gave me more stretches to do and to use a foam roller which i went and brought one and use t daily,nearly two months have passed I would not say my leg causes me any pain but if I walk lots or swim I can feel its still not right, please could you help physio has said he will put an injection in it if it is not better in two weeks. I am flat footed could this be why I have the injury what can I do to speed up recovery and to avoid it in the future please could you help me as due to get married 1st of May so being in shape is upmost important to me at the minute.
13/02/2013 at 23:21

Hello Sarah

I have a lot of pain and what appears to be stiffness behind my left ankle. It seems to ease as I run, after a few miles..However is very tender immediately after running also. Again it eaes off but i am aware of the tenderness and do not know what to do for the best in terms of treating it..or indeed what is causing it..As I have a HM and 10k booked I am concerned I may do more harm than good running so regularly. I would be grateful of your/others advice. Thank you.

M...eldy    pirate
13/02/2013 at 23:41

Andre this sounds very much like an achilles issue? Are you able to be a bit more precise with the location description?  If it is the achilles then you need to tread and treat it very carefully as it has a habit of lingering and being hard to get rid of
Check out some eccentric loading exercises and in the meantime I would rest  and reassess
Could also possibly be a peroneal tendon problem and I would probably take the same advice

14/02/2013 at 12:35
hello Sarah

i have had a groin injury for the last 6 months. i have had a ultra sound and a ultramri which has revealed no hernia and no signs with problem pelvis or hip . the pain is on the left and is particularly sore when i bend down, crouch, squat and stoop, and when i run. i have also had 2 physio visits and is still no better 6 months later. getting very frustrated now!!!
any advice would be much appreciated
14/02/2013 at 12:42

Hi - my achilles have been sore for about 8 months.  I do calf raises once or twice a day, in addition to stretching all the other major leg muscles and it seems to keep it in check and prevent it getting worse.  Is this ok or do I really need to get it fully cured ?

14/02/2013 at 12:58

Welcome to today's injury prevention webchat - a  big thank you to physio Sarah Connors for joining us today to answer your training questions.

Over to you, Sarah...

Annie RW

14/02/2013 at 13:01

Hi Hackett yes def seek advice with this one. The numbness is indicating pressure on the nerve at some point presumably from a grumbly disc. You need to make sure there isn’t any muscle weakness so yes get it checked sooner rather than later and hopefully you’ll training will then be easier.

14/02/2013 at 13:02

Hi Suz

The best way to decide is to see how your body is responding to all the training as she will have seen you before you can ask how much tighter you feel than last time. If you’re much tighter and generally more sore then bring it forward a week, don’t have one immediately prior to the race go about a week before or after your last long run.

14/02/2013 at 13:03

Hi Stewart,

Sounds like you still have a weakness in that leg . What is your one leg dip like compared to the other knee? Try in front of a mirror and see if the knee turns in. Are you trainers giving you correct support trying twisting them and see if one gives more than the other. Helping your gluts get stronger will def help and foam roller around the gluts and Tensor fascia lata the muscle at the top of the ITB.

14/02/2013 at 13:04

Hi Angela, you say that calf is weak have you done anything to strengthen it up. A simple calf raising programme will help starting on 2 legs then one and initially off the floor then on a step dropping the heels. Was there a definite tear and sudden pain last year or was it a gradual onset. If it was gradual may be worth getting your back checked out to make sure the nerve isn’t tight causing the calf twinges. K tape is great if it eases your symptoms.

14/02/2013 at 13:05

Hi Lisa, try a different approach, you are doing all the right things to help your lower back and hamstring you might have just reached their max range. What you can look at is your hip flexors if these are tight then this pulls the back out of line and stops the gluts activating hence overloading the hamstrings. Try the lunge stretch on one knee stretching the back hip flexor. If you can get someone to help you do the Thomas test (should be on the website) your knee should hang in a straight line with your body if it’s higher than your hips are tight.

14/02/2013 at 13:05

Hi lewis sounds like you need a good mot. There are so many issues with that leg it’s difficult to know where to start. The quad sounds like it’s weak and def needs to do a structured strengthening programme staring with 2 leg squats and progressing to 1. Though would be good for someone to look at its’ strength and function. Are your calfs very tight and what is the stretch like when you bend your knee, are the soleus tight?? If these are weak try 2 different calf raises leg straight and knee bent. You don’t say how much running you do and it would be good to know if you’ve done a structured rehab and stretching programme. Let me know if you can.

14/02/2013 at 13:06

Kate the best way to minimize the effects of camber is to vary your run and run in different directions.

14/02/2013 at 13:07

Hi Also-ran, did the physio ever mobilise your lower back?? If this is tight it can also be causing the hamstring to be tight. It’s one of the first things I do with a patient with a hamstring issue and it takes the pressure of the nerve and the muscle. Try that and see what happens. Also try the hip flexor stretch that I mentioned to Lisa above. The big thing for me is to look above the muscle and address the cause, esp if on one side then even more likely to be coming from the back. You like lisa have done all the obvious stuff so you may need some help with this one.

Also try and stretch the adductors that run along the inside of the leg. There is a great trigger point about a hand breath up from the knee joint that you can hold while stretching to try and release the pes a bit more

14/02/2013 at 13:07

Hi Ben you don’t say where in the hip the pain is can you let me know and I can help you with what to stretch. If it’s at the front try the Thomas test to see if the muscles are tight and causing an impingement. If at the back try stretching the gluts. A foam roller is a good investment to help with some trigger point soft tissue release. There will be some videos on the web showing which areas to target.

14/02/2013 at 13:08

Hi Iain, I presume you mean your knee joint? If it’s on the inside over the joint then it could either be the pes enserinus tendon which is your medial hamstring and adductors so try and stretch these out. If very specific over the joint line and pain on squatting you need to get checked to make sure there is no meniscal/ cartilage damage

14/02/2013 at 13:08

Hi Grant are you taking into account the race when you do you long run and easing back on the distance or speed slightly? Your body needs to recover from races.

Buy yourself a foam roller and start bringing in more stretching to allow the body to help recover.

14/02/2013 at 13:09

Hi Diana don’t try and play catch up you’ll only make them sore again. Absolutely right to try and do a cross training session. Also try and do some of your running off road as this is definitely better for the shins.

Have you been stretching the deep calf muscles, do this by putting the toes on a step and then bending the knee. You can do some self massage into the inside calf muscle to release some of the tension stay away form the bone and acute pain though, Ice is good after this. You can do some cliniband exercises to strengthen the foot muscles pulling the foot in and out against the resistance of the band.

Lastly make sure you trainers are not old and that they have the correct support quite often the cause of shin splints is over pronation so if your  trainers are not supportive enough that may not be helping.

14/02/2013 at 13:09

Hi Sarah,

I'm getting a dull pain in the back of my thigh when running, as well as a sensation a little like having cold water poured on my skin in hip and the side of my upper thigh. I've scaled back my running for the past month and stopped doing interval training - is there anything else I should be doing? Thanks!

41 to 60 of 127 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.