What time do people set out on race day?

21 to 31 of 31 messages
27/03/2008 at 21:44

Hi, more help required please.

I am staying in the Travelodge Docklands, I think East India DLR is the nearest station. What is the best way to get there?

I have had a look at the journey planner and seems to involve trains and buses and looks a bit complicated.... Appreciate any advice

28/03/2008 at 09:12
According to hotel website it is only 200 metres from the DLR stop!!!
28/03/2008 at 17:39
Sorry I was not very clear. I wanted some advice getting from East India DLR to Marathon Start at Blackheath. It probably is really obvious...
29/03/2008 at 00:20

According to map you get the DLR at East India, then change at Poplar for DLR stop at Greenwich.  It is about 1.5 miles to Blackheath, but I am sure there will be a lot of company on the way!!  There might be a slightly shorter route, but panic not, the journey will not be as complicated as it seems, and once you are actually at the hotel I am sure you will be able to get plenty of advice re travel.  Good luck.

29/03/2008 at 09:49
Thank you for your advice and good luck to you too
29/03/2008 at 16:01

Vicky,

I'm staying at Travel Inn at Becton at the end of the DLR - normally get the DLR aroun 7.15, up to Poplar, get off and get DLR back to Blackheath along with hundreds of others.

Then , depening on your start , depends which station you get off at - but its crystal clear in terms of signposts, marshalls etc...

Just leave plenty of time, better there early than late eh ?

Enjoy ...

29/03/2008 at 20:59

Vicky, i've stayed twice at the docklands travelodge.Like BBB says get off early enough & there's no problem. There's plenty of runners leaving from the hotel so there's little chance of getting the wrong train, It's about a mile walk to the start though, so it is worth starting out early. Good choice of hotel.

All the best . 

30/03/2008 at 13:26

Thanks for everyones advice looks like it should be fairly straightforward.

Can anyone suggest anywhere to eat the night before? I have had a look for somewhere that sells pasta but could not really find anywhere nearish. Canary Wharf had a few places but did not look like they opened on Saturday.I have the added problem that my friend wants to watch the West Brom game at 5.20...

30/03/2008 at 13:44
Vicky, there's a restaurant in the hotel that serves food in the evening. You can also have a Pizza delivered to your room. What i did last year was to pop over to the expo ( it's only a few stops on the DLR) & have the pasta party. which is good value for a fiver.
30/03/2008 at 14:14
Remember though that the Expo closes at 5p.m. which might be a bit early.   
31/03/2008 at 11:36
Check the TFL site in advance for any engineering works, if there is work due on the Tube lines they tend to schedule it at the weekends.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 31 of 31 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.