What to eat before, during and after a marathon

Nutrition

3 messages
27/02/2012 at 22:18
Hi,

I am running the London Marathon in April. This will be my first marathon so it's all very exciting. I really need advice on what to eat leading up to the event and during. I used to compete in middle distance but obviously my training was nowhere near as strenuous as this. I did a 10 mile yesterday and nearly collapsed even though I have run a lot further. I am thinking this could be down to diet? My legs were shaking terribly and I literally fell asleep on the ground about 5 mins after.
Help please.

cougie    pirate
27/02/2012 at 22:45
Have you been eating normally ? Not slipping meals ?
There's no need to carbo load for training.

As to when you're running - for the longer runs - say past half marathon distance them you can take on energy. Gels or jelly babies or energy drink - whatever works for you and that's what you work out in training.

After long runs I have a milkshake - you can have a recovery drink but milkshake is probably cheaper.

It's not all about nutrition though - you need to have a decent consistent plan with sensible milages. Had you had a hard week before this run ?
Edited: 27/02/2012 at 22:50
28/02/2012 at 13:30

Hi,

The shaking episode after your most recent long run is worrisome...could be hypoglycemia but it could also be something more serious. Have you consulted a doctor about it?

In general, I try to keep a well balanced diet during marathon training, especially ensuring that I'm consuming enough protein. On long training runs (as above, anything longer than half marathon distance) I bring energy gels to experiment with. During the week leading up to the race I increase carbohydrate consumption. Usually I have a medium sized pasta dinner each of the 3-4 nights leading up to the race, but there are obviously plenty of other carbohydrate options. During the race I usually start my first energy gel somewhere between miles 7-10, and eat it very slowly, generally over the course of 5 miles or so (for me this works better than taking in the whole packet at once). Usually I eat 2-3 packets during the race, which I've found keeps my blood sugar up and keeps me from hitting "the wall".

If I were you I'd experiment with gels on long runs to figure out what works for you, as everyone is a little different! Best of luck on the London marathon! Supposedly the best in the world.

Pete

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.