When is enough, enough

Cost of the marathon

21 to 40 of 55 messages
30/04/2012 at 12:56
My local 10k is £14 this year.  I vaguely remember it being half that the first time I did it, but that was in 1999.
30/04/2012 at 13:08

I don't mind paying a bit more for a race if it is good value; either venue being somewhere I couldn't normally run (Longleat or Silverstone) or otherwise unique experience (Medoc) and super-slick organisation, but it's hard to see where the extra money goes with some of the bigger UK races (apart from into the pockets of the organisers)

I think I'm with Wilkie, vive la France!

30/04/2012 at 13:12
I'm guessing Policing costs for road closures and insurance has been hiked up over the past few years.  And I've no issue with people making money.  But clear, honest pricing is a must.
30/04/2012 at 13:16
And why on an application form do you need to have 20 boxes to tick saying you don't want to buy something? There is also a box to ask if you want your medal engraved-only £5.99.
cougie    pirate
30/04/2012 at 13:21
Check out the Liverpool marathon threads - the organiser is very open about the costs.
These events aren't cheap to put on and expectations are higher nowadays.
Chip timing. Technical tees. Goodie bags. Video screens etc etc.

London marathon is a steal. You could make money saving all of the drinks around the course !
30/04/2012 at 13:22

I filled in the Brighton form.Got to the end and thought £55? - no thanks.

Entered London ballot. If I don't get in I might look at one of the other spring marathons, but reading the reports from recent ones...Hull, Milton Keanes, Manchester, Stratford.... they all seem to have had problems this year. 

30/04/2012 at 13:41
NLR..isn't £55 what you spend on a haircut?
cougie    pirate
30/04/2012 at 13:45
A marathon for most people is a long term commitment. It's not just the four hours or so of running - its the weeks of dedicated training that you have to take into account as well. Cos theres no way I'm running 20 milers unless I'm entered in a marathon. This way it works out pretty cheaply per hour !
30/04/2012 at 13:46
Not quite Mr Puffy. I get discount now and only pay £23.
30/04/2012 at 13:46

I stand corrected.

30/04/2012 at 13:54
The thing is. There are so many people who drop out that you can pick up an entry cheaply in the weeks leading up to the marathon. That way I don't need to get my hair cut by the butcher.
Cheerful Dave    pirate
30/04/2012 at 13:56
cougie wrote (see)
These events aren't cheap to put on and expectations are higher nowadays. Chip timing. Technical tees. Goodie bags. Video screens etc etc.

Plus the usual things that we all take for granted like portaloos, marshalls, etc.  One of the local races has a short section of course on National Trust land, who this year are asking for £2 per runner.  The organiser is trying to keep entry fees down but it's hidden costs like that which lead to accusations of profiteering.
30/04/2012 at 14:05

VLM is cheaper partly because of the sponsorship monies received as well as charging the charities a huge sum for guarenteed places. 

I am the race director for several events throughout the year and if anyone wants a break down of costs then contact me direct.  My other half and I have not taken money out of the events since we started doing them, partly because we have done the events to raise money for charities and partly because the margins are too small.  We do not take a wage, despite it being a full time job. Some of the events receive over 1000 entries.

Organising events is very stressful and time consuming, however, when you find a route that you love to run and want to share with others and see the enjoyment on their faces at the end, this negates the negatives.

The cost of the event depends a lot on what is involved and how many marshals are needed.  We have found you cannot please everyone all of the time.   We have a half/full marathon based on the Medoc Marathon where the cost is £40.  It has been mentioned that this is expensive on other forums.  What some runners do not see are the real costs of putting this type of event on. This is the third year and in the first two years the event has lost money. 

I think there are some companies out there who do charge a lot and are doing it solely to make a profit.  I do not have an issue with companies who do this as we all have an option not to enter it. 

30/04/2012 at 14:28

There is a marathon run not far from where I live, put on by the local running club (ie. volunteers).  It's largely on the roads, has the permits, police permission, etc., chip timing, goody bag, medal and t-shirt.

The entry fee is £23 for affiliated runners, £26 for non-affiliated.

The event has been put on for many years, very successfully.  The club does not lose money on it - in fact they make a sizeable donation from the proceeds to local charities each year.

30/04/2012 at 15:06
I do have a problem with companies who think they can come to Brighton and do whatever they want and charge what they want. The Bacchus estate can do what it likes but if Tim Hutchins wants to take over my town he can answer to the tax payers of Brighton.
30/04/2012 at 15:11
Who is this Tim Hutchins you keep on about? Is he that comedy atheist? Or is that salvador minuchin? Or is he the one that went out with Paula Radcliffe while she was married to Bob Geldof?  
Edited: 30/04/2012 at 15:14
30/04/2012 at 15:12
SR - if you'e entered a week or so ago you could have had Brighton for £45 (plus the £2.50 charge) which is a more realistic price imho

but they are milking certain things about the event with extra charges although I think the spectator charging thing is only for those wishing to go into a reserved area at the finishing line - not for all spectators in this area (from what I understand anyway)

there will always be a big discrepancy in costs put on by local clubs vs commercial organisations so I don't think the comparisons are fair - too many different dynamics involved. and as Toucs says, many RDs do this for love, not to make money

but - it's your choice whether you wish to pay or not - nobody's forcing you to enter.
30/04/2012 at 15:15
"if Tim Hutchins wants to take over my town he can answer to the tax payers of Brighton"

well - start a campaign if you don't like it!! it doesn't sound as if the City Council are worried by it - it brings revenue to the city and is a good promotional event for them (not that it really needs it - there's enough going on anyway)
30/04/2012 at 15:27
Not for me I feel that the price is to high guess as long as they fill the race they will keep nudging it upwards. Accept lots of costs involved but this event does seem to be pushing the boundaries hope others do not follow.
30/04/2012 at 15:41

Caz, I think it's an inevitability.  Costs are rising all the time.  It's only a matter of time before councils start demanding expensive road closures.

We are living in a golden age of races but unfortunately many low key club races will be squeezed out or forced to increase their entry fee to cope with the costs involved.  

21 to 40 of 55 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.