Which charity?

Which one to pick? Hmmm...

18 messages
30/11/2002 at 00:04
Having been accepted through the ballot for the FLM 2003, I find myself in the converse position to last year in that I am now trying to pick a charity to run for. I just wondered which charities y'all might be supporting and if you like, why. I have a few on my list, including The Anthony Nolan Trust, British Heart Foundation, British Red Cross and the Terrance Higgins Trust. If there are any smaller charities out there that need support, let me know!

Nicko. Hdau    pirate
30/11/2002 at 12:54
I normaly run for Gt Ormond st, but the RNLI are a good cause.
30/11/2002 at 15:30
Doesn't the RNLI have a massive financial reserve still? I know they lost a lot in the stock market crash (enough to keep the lifeboats going for 6 months, I think). But they are still not short of a bob or two.

I'd say run for a charity that means something to you personally. Makes it that little bit even harder to stop!
30/11/2002 at 16:10
PLEASE CHECK OUT OUR WEBSITE
WW.THEKEYSTONEHAVEN.CO.UK

WE NEED LOTS OF HELP

THANKS
PETER
30/11/2002 at 20:33
I looked at the keystone website but found it hard to get info from ite.g. abut the charity and events ...

i am looking to get a bond place as i have found out i am not in but will struggle to raise high pledges such as 1500...any advice?
30/11/2002 at 20:54
i will be running for cancer research
30/11/2002 at 21:01
does anybody know of any charities that have around 1k target?
30/11/2002 at 21:07
The National Kidney Research Fund (NKRF) only ask 1k.
30/11/2002 at 22:00
Robo, Ive spotted you in the marathon mag, so thats you:)
30/11/2002 at 22:19
Fame at last.....
haven't got my copy yet (my mother wants it for some strange reason)
complained to NKRF that they spent all that money on the adverrt and still managed to make me look as if I have even less hair than I really do.
30/11/2002 at 23:05
Epilepsy Action have a £1K target I think - I've run for them before and got a letter a while back.

Epilepsy Action

Iain
Trogs    pirate
01/12/2002 at 00:09
Ran for Hearing Dogs for Deaf People last year. They wanted £1500 which I thought I would struggle to get as I wasn't working and was relatively new to the area but by getting friends and relatives to join in the fundraising effort I managed just under £1700. Can't find the weblink but it's something like www.hearingdogs.org
01/12/2002 at 10:11
I shall be running for the lincolnshire & Notts air ambulance. I think its a good opportunity to put something back locally. There will be a lot of small local charitys who don't have gold bond places and a sum such as £500 would meen a great deal to them. Sometimes our local paper highlights a family with a poorly child who needs treatment abroad or a special wheelchair that they can't afford .Maybe there is someone near you who could really use your help.
01/12/2002 at 10:20
OUR TARGETS ARE £600

PLEASE HELP AND SEE OUR WEBSITE

WWW.KEYSTONEHAVEN.CO.UK

PETER
01/12/2002 at 10:28
Have applied for a gold bond place with cancer research but haven't heard anything yet (fingers crossed...the anticipation's killing me).

Nearly reformed benz - have you got a gold bond place? and when did you hear?
01/12/2002 at 16:42
Thinking of running for Cancer Research with 25% going to a hospice in the NW.
01/12/2002 at 16:56
FIND A LOCAL CHARITY , LIKE OURS
UNLIKE MANY OTHER CHARITIES NOT A SINGLE PENNY GOES IN WAGES , ADMIN ETC

EVERY PENNY YOU RAISE GOES TO THE KIDS THAT NEED HELP

SOME CHARITIES TAKE UPTO 25% IN FEES TO PAY WAGES ETC
01/12/2002 at 17:37
I suggest going for a charity that means something personally to you, your family, your friends, or your colleagues. That way it means something to you personally, and the immediate rapport this creates with people makes it far easier to raise the cash. Clearly any charity, local or national, can fit into this category.

A friend and I were fortunate in being able to raise funds for a charity being supported by our company due to links already in place, and were stunned at the support our work colleagues gave us. It also changed the marathon into something far richer than a running race.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
18 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.