Why do we do it to ourselves?

Rejects pop in here.......

1 to 20 of 241 messages
LIVERBIRD    pirate
03/10/2008 at 14:48

I nearly thumped the postman yesterday. He brought two losers fleeces - one for me and one for Mr LB. Every year it's the same.

"We're sorry you're a pathetic reject. Maybe next time?"

Then we do it all over again a year later....

My question is, I know many runners on here who say that FLM is NOT a good marathon. It's busy, crowded and the PB potential is poor. So why should I keep filling in the form and sending it off? Why do I really really want to do this bloody marathon?

Somebody on here must think it's worthwhile - surely?

03/10/2008 at 14:56
Because its the only marathon that 99% of people have heard of?

If I ever tell people i've run a marathon the first thing they will say is "ooh, the London one" and I say "no, the Robin Hood" and then have to say "you know its the same distance!"

It's also on television and is something of an event. It is a huge event and more of an occasion than a PB potential. I ran the Robin Hood last year and the smatterings of applause from the few spectators spurned me on. I guess it would be an experience

R
LIVERBIRD    pirate
03/10/2008 at 14:59

I'm amazed that virtually all non runners seem to think that you can roll up the door of FLM ask for a place and they say "sure - here you go"!!!!

As if....

03/10/2008 at 15:01

One of my sponsors from this year's FLM said on the phone last week "I'm thinking of doing next year's".....

in your dreams matey-pie

03/10/2008 at 15:04
It should be limitless for numbers and held over two days.  So it would bring London to a grinding halt but most of us don't live there, so hey, why not!
03/10/2008 at 15:06

Liverbird

Its a great marathon and a super weekend in the big smoke!

The sights, atmoshere and the support is second to none.

I've been successful in four of the last five ballots so a refusal this year was not unexpected.

If I dont get my club's entry then it will be Paris for me next year.

Hold on, lets dream

If I can knock off 4 mins from my marathon PB in three weeks time I might be able to qualify 'As Good for Age' for the Boston Marthon next April 

03/10/2008 at 15:14
I thought you got it automatically if you were rejected 3 times previously? oh dear - big show of ignorance there..
03/10/2008 at 15:18
What's your secret Begsie?  I've been unsuccesful in 7 out of 7 ballots, so how'd you manage sucess in 4 out of five?
03/10/2008 at 15:22

Chi - it's 5 rejections (in a row) I'm afraid, which means I'm guarateed a place in 2014, at the age of 41 - yikes!

I've always aspired to do London, but this was the first time I could realistically do it, seeing as I actually run now!  I shouldn't be too disappointed to be rejected first time.  Plus I've entered for a couple of golden bond places, so all is not lost...

03/10/2008 at 15:24
ah sure 41's the new 40, what are you worried about! I haven't even applied to do it yever before so I will be 42 maybe!
03/10/2008 at 15:25

NotReallyARunner

If you've been rejected seven times on the trot, you will have had a guaranteed place for the sixth year.  Five straight rejections and you're guaranteed a start the following year.

03/10/2008 at 15:26

I did a marathon once, in the New Forest. The london marathon appeals not a bit, but I might have a crack at the Wharfedale one next year, or some other off road big jobbie. Now THAT'S scenic!

Sorry, but I don't understand why the London marathon is so important to enter, when there's so many others around.

03/10/2008 at 15:28
I now have 4 rejections. Guaranteed a place in 2011 and I will be 46 then.
03/10/2008 at 15:29
Only if they were consecutive  Moscow..
JPenno    pirate
03/10/2008 at 15:32
Just got my acceptance, 3 times in 6 years for me
03/10/2008 at 15:32
Tracey G - I did my first one this year aged 46 so you have nothing to worry about!
03/10/2008 at 15:35

minardi - I am doing my 6th marathon tomorrow. I am not worried.

03/10/2008 at 15:45
Begsie wrote (see)

Liverbird

Its a great marathon and a super weekend in the big smoke!

The sights, atmoshere and the support is second to none.

I've been successful in four of the last five ballots so a refusal this year was not unexpected.

If I dont get my club's entry then it will be Paris for me next year.

Hold on, lets dream

If I can knock off 4 mins from my marathon PB in three weeks time I might be able to qualify 'As Good for Age' for the Boston Marthon next April 

true it's a great weekend (ran it for charity in 2007) with a fab atmosphere but sights are non-existent if you're 5'0 and running in the pack - didn't see anything except other runners backs until came up the mall!!.... must admit the sight of Buckingham Palace is pretty awesome though

am expecting my 3rd rejection to be waiting for me when i get home tonight - am thinking of Prague for next year instead.

03/10/2008 at 15:53

NotReally A Runner

This was my 14th year applying and I've been successful 6 times in the ballot.

Keep at it and it will come thro

Being cynical, I'm not sure of the benefits of bequeathing.

I dont and it certainly has hindered me this past five years.

Hate to say it folks

But

Just received a phone call from one of my mates at the running club!

From his reckoning

Out of the 6 applicants from the club

4 were GFA and he was successful in the ballot which means

unofficially I look to have got the Club entry

Yippee

OOOPs sorry losers

03/10/2008 at 15:59
I'm in, not sure if I'll run or defer yet though, I'll get NY out of the way and then have a couple of weeks off before deciding.
1 to 20 of 241 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.