Why run a marathon?

what was your excuse?

21 to 34 of 34 messages
22/05/2012 at 17:11

Because I'm a shit runner but a bloody determined one. 

23/05/2012 at 14:26

Same here, Screamy

24/05/2012 at 11:51

Young and stupid at the time - too much gunho macho stuff but finished my first aged just 15 (there were no rules about age back then). Something stuck and now 36 years on I just run them because I can

24/05/2012 at 12:10

Back in the early 80s a 13 year old kid got his photo in our local papers after running the Glasgow marathon. He said his boxing coach had him doing training runs about that length and he thought he'd just give it a go. Unofficially, without a proper entry or a number. If I remember rightly, he ran just over 3 hours and didn't think it was any big deal. Little git!

24/05/2012 at 12:34

Inspired by London Marathon when watching it when I was younger and telling myself I'll definitely run a marathon one day.

Also someone telling me "I'll never do it".

To do something most people haven't - although maybe not so much the case with sooo many people doing them now and people far exceeding it with ultras / ironman's etc

24/05/2012 at 13:26

Its on my 'bucket list' of things to do! Hopefully i can tick it off this week when i cross the line in Edinburgh!!

28/09/2012 at 20:50

I had a major operation in June 2006 and on waking up afterwards, I told my family that I was going to run the London Marathon the next year for Breakthrough Breast Cancer.

They laughed (oh how they laughed!) but I did it. London 2013 will be my 6th marathon.

29/09/2012 at 19:59

On the bucket list, so I made the new years resolution this year to read war and peace and run a marathon (A literary marathon and a literal marathon... good hey?!). I liked the look of the Langdale marathon so I signed up and roped my hapless other half in (I don't know how he puts up with me ) and last weekend I completed it, it wasn't fast (5hrs34) but it's a starting point!

Pethead    pirate
29/09/2012 at 22:59

My university club likes to have people in the LM each year, I've got a reasonable appetite for mileage and I'm rubbish at anything shorter than 5K. 

Blisters    pirate
29/09/2012 at 23:35

I've got to ask, have you finished the book GFS?

seren nos yn canu    pirate
30/09/2012 at 07:16

after a lot of hard years with no time to do anything my eldest son went to residential school  in 2005 and I suddenly had time on my hands...after painting the entire house I decided one day to try going for a run.......

i did 3 miles and whilst running I thought I will do the London marathon.went straight home and then out to get a form to enter from the sports shop...........

entered that day..and although rejected ..took up the offer to apply for edinburgh and did that in 2006

05/10/2012 at 17:00

Haha, not yet Blisters! It'll have to roll over to next year now, turned out a literal marathon was easier to finish  !

05/10/2012 at 17:43

Madness for me I think.

I did it to raise funds for a local charity (to build an all weather sports facility aimed at keeping kids off their arses and fit!).

Signed up in a moment of madness for an Ultra (33 miles), Edinburgh Marathon and Loch Ness Marathon, plus the 15 mile Petrofac Challenge at Balmoral.  All in 2012.  A 100 mile challenge in the hope that it would encourage folk to dig into their pockets and donate to raise as much funds as possible.

All of that on the back of having only ever ran 1 half marathon and a few 10k runs.

Didn't set any records by any stretch of the imagination, but I've given myself a marathon PB of 4:24 to try to beat next year now that I'm going to start doing some proper training (and do just 1 marathon in 2013!).

05/10/2012 at 18:14

Martenkay: sounds like it's time for you to come over to the ultra side!

Why run a marathon? To prove to myself that I could (although by the time I ran my first official marathon I'd already gone ultra, so I knew I could run the distance). To see what time I can run it in. For the challenge (Beachy Head coming up). Oh - and for fun!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 34 of 34 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.