winter running

21 to 32 of 32 messages
28/10/2002 at 13:32
If the weather is cold , wet , windy etc and despite all the best clothing money can buy you start to feel miserable think your way out of it. As you run picture that nice shower then the log fire at a nice pub and the really nice sunday lunch . When i do marathon training on the long sunday run in stead of an out and back loop i find a good pub , 20 miles away , and arrange to meet my wife and son there . Try it it really works. If you do that you have to eat diner in un-showered but who cares.
28/10/2002 at 15:13
The diners next to you I should think!!!
28/10/2002 at 16:32
Possibly but then i can allow myself to feel smug that i have earned my lunch and i am just replacing lost calories not adding to my waitline. I must also confess that this is what i used to do . Since turning 40 ,two years ago , i have trained harder than ever to combat the onset of middle age. This is working well with PB,s in every distance up to half marathon. Still it is a good way to go about things i guess.
29/10/2002 at 09:51
I'm new to this site, joining because I hope to run the London marathon. Who/what is Hal Higdon? I'm looking for a training schedule but don't know where to start really! I run up to 1.5 hours at the moment - does anyone have any suggestions?
29/10/2002 at 10:11
Rachel,

This is almost certainly the wrong forum for this, but what the heck ...

Look up Marathon schedules on the web, and sooner (rather than later) you'll come across Hal Higdon. There are lots of links to his site from this mag's US sister Runner's World (www.runnersworld.com).

Higdon has his own site: www.halhigdon.com.

I used his Intermediate_I schedule for my first marathon - as I was running off quite a high milage.

I liked his approach because it was pretty untechnical. I adapted it firstly by ignoring all his pacing instructions and just completing the distances as best I could. Secondly I ran further than required in the early weeks. Thirdly, the schedules are 18 weeks long, and I was further away from the marathon. So I started 20 weeks out and replicated 2 of the highest milage weeks before tapering.

I'd recommend the schedules.

The real bonus for me was that I'd chosen the Clarendon Way Marathon - run on 13/10 - the same day as the Chicago Marathon for which he was Virtual-Coaching several 1000s of people.

e-mail me directly if you want more info.
29/10/2002 at 10:40
Hi Rachel. I too am a relative newcomer to the site for the same reason as you. Hal Higdon's training schedule isn't the only one by a long way. Just about every book you pick on running has a marathon training schedule in there somewhere, and they are all similar. I'm working on the basis of following a hybrid of a couple of plans which I've found and I'm sticking to it like glue - I find it reassuring to know what I am doing and when. Pick up any book on distance running from your local library and you'll find one, or alternatively print one off the web - there are loads to choose from.
29/10/2002 at 11:08
Thanks Dan and Luan for your responses. I've just printed the Hal Higdon Intermediate I shedule which looks feasible as I'm already running 5-8 miles at the moment.

I'm planning to run the FLM with two friends who live in the UK - I live in Paris so we needed to find a schedule to enable us to train at the same rate even though we're in different countries!
07/11/2002 at 17:14
i have that SAD disease i have been running four times a week since starting running ten weeks ago. I have done my first 10k and was training for my secound 1ok nov 30th. And gues what i have a cold, i havent been running and i have been off work to speed my recovery. (1 week). I realy want to go out on sat with my training partner, but i still have my cold but it is a lot better what shopuld i do any advice
08/11/2002 at 23:43
Take lots of echinacea and vitamin C, put your feet up, start running when you feel ok! Get well soon!
14/11/2002 at 14:09
Haz the only reason people think your a nutter is because your up of your own choice at 5.30am.
Still Im the night hawk and am usually to be found plodding the streets around 10pm
don't like it this late as I cant get to sleep when I return so sit up watching tv until 2 and then fall asleep at work!
16/11/2002 at 22:59
NGOTB,
Take it steady, build up slowly.
Picture summer runs in your mind whilst out winter training.

And...Yes Yoga is the best way to counter effect the shortening of the hamstrings, promote core stability and generally promote wellbeing.

Go for it !
23/11/2002 at 22:14
Nobody suggested a treadmill for training in bad weather....boring I know but my local gym just 200 yards away has 4 large screen TVs and sockets for headphones on each machine. Winter weather is more severe in West Coast Scotland. On a plus, the treadmill will display speed and actual distance for you with a host of other info on a panel (dont compare times with outside cos its harder on a treadmill due to heat). Make sure you have access to a large electric fan directed on you or you will very quickly overheat. In my experience the weather is often not as bad as it looked from inside and, as previous person said the hardest part is getting yourself out the door.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 32 of 32 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.