Your FLM entry article

21 to 32 of 32 messages
22/09/2002 at 22:13
I felt stung at £70 for New York but at least I'm not out in the cold on this. To be fair there's a huge amount of organisation, police, prize fund etc that I expect to pay a bit more - but I still think it's a rip off.

SY3
27/09/2002 at 00:03

£60 is not excessive for overseas runners. Once you are here, you can claim political asylum and then stay forever, given the failure of our Government to control the situation. People in Sangatte would be delighted to pay the £60 for the rights you are getting: if anything, they are underpriced.

Besides, many of you come from countries with road tolls whereas our roads are mainly free to use at present and UK nationals have paid for those roads. Look on the £60 as a road toll for use of the course.

<g>

27/09/2002 at 21:36
Ok, I will take it as a toll for crossing Tower Bridge. This will let Skye Bridge being no longer the most expensive one.

;-)

28/09/2002 at 19:20
Do you have to pay a toll to cross the Skye Bridge on foot?
01/10/2002 at 12:28
If you think the entry fee is a rip-off why pay it! If more people took this attitude then the race organisers would do something about it.
02/10/2002 at 23:03
Yeah, look at the race fee as a road toll for using some of the most under-maintained, over trafficked, stressful and dangerous roads in Europe.
03/10/2002 at 20:26
I don't object to race fees as such. Merely to the huge difference between the fees for runners in the country where the marathon takes place and runners from other countries who want to visit. The London fee for UK runners is not bad at all - it's about the same as I've paid to run a much more modest (tho' equally well-organized) marathon in Denmark on Sunday week.
04/10/2002 at 16:11
Have FLM ever offered any justification for charging such a large mark up for overseas entries? What is the point?
13/10/2002 at 19:57
I was hoping that an "all you need to know" page might include the address for sending proof of "good for age" category.

As for the FLM site itself, I've rarely seen anything so useless. Almost entirely content-free, and you presumably need broadband to use it too.
13/10/2002 at 20:49
On the other hand I don't run marathons on the basis of the web site (I almost wrote "races" there but in fact I did run the Compton Downland Challenge last year after seeing their web site!)
13/10/2002 at 23:21
Agreed FLM site is pants, but you don't need broadband to use it - it is very very slow if you haven't got it though cos of the ridiculous front page with flash movies in it. But also agreed with Jonathan you shouldn't run on the basis of a website - FLM Ltd are experts in race organisation and getting a race so popular that despite detractors thousands and thousands want it enter it year on year.

BTW - good for age entry address - get in entries with proof of time and age by 18th October:

Good for Age
Flora London Marathon
PO Box 3460
London
SE1 8YN

I do say that Marathon News is your bible for entering so that's where you would have found the address.

All the best

My Guide to Entering the London Marathon.
14/10/2002 at 10:31
Many thanks. I threw the magazine away in disgust after having my 5-times-reject claim rejected (now I think of it, I probably didn't apply in '99, so fair enough, although that would make it a six times out of seven reject instead).

But now I've got a 3 hrs 12 under my belt from the weekend, so it doesn't matter. Hooray!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 32 of 32 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.