10K training plan advice

10 messages
26/04/2010 at 13:12

I'm looking to run the Swansea Bay 10k later this year, last years time was 48 mins so looking to get down to about the 45min mark (or faster) this year.Never really used a schedule until now, just my garmin forerunner.

I have been looking at the R/W plans and would like some help -

In the following plan - 2M warm-up, then 8 x 400m or 75 secs, with 400m or 2-3 min recoveries, then 2M cool-down

1) 8 x 400m or 75 secs - but at what pace/speed is this ran at?

2) How do you adapt this type of plan for heart rate monitor training?

Any help would be great. Cheers.

26/04/2010 at 13:18

400m in 75 seconds presumably.  Why this sort of workout is on the plan is beyond me though.

26/04/2010 at 13:57

This is just one day in a week of this training plan, but surely that would be a rediculous time!?!

26/04/2010 at 14:05

If you use Runners World  smart coach schedules in the training section it will give you your pace.If you put in 45 minutes for a recent race time for a 10k it will taylor a programme for that finish time.for example SpeedworkDist: 5mi, inc,Warm; 3x800@3:20w/400 jogs; Cool. I have the garmin fr60 and for this particular session set the pace at 6.40(being that 800 meters is about half a mile).

Hope that helps.

26/04/2010 at 14:09

Well I'm aiming for a sub 45 minute 10k and its a lot faster than any of my sessions but I dont do anything as short as that...the quickest lap times I do at the track are about 1:43 as part of an 800m rep...

Moraghan - is this meant to be a lactate building session with the idea of improving VO2 max?

Would a 3 minute rep (i.e. longer and slower) be a better session for this purpose or am I getting that wrong? 

26/04/2010 at 14:23

Craig - yes, it would be a totally ludicrous time, a completely impossible workout given it would have be done at a faster pace than your 400m best.

What else might it mean I wonder - you can do 400m or run for 75 seconds - even though  they would be workouts of different lengths.  God knows.  It may only be one day but calls into question the validity of the whole thing.

Curly - a 400 rep with 400 rest would typically be done at a pace much faster than a workout vo2 max - I would look to do this at 800m pace reasonably close to race season.  The rep is too short and recovery too long to be all that much benefit to your vo2 max.  So, it would be more like a "rep" workout aimed at developing efficiency at faster paces with almost complete recovery.  What it's doing in a 10k program I haven't a clue.

26/04/2010 at 14:23
Yes curly, longer rep done more slowly with a shorter recovery.
26/04/2010 at 14:28

Thanks Moraghan - I'm half right as always (longer reps etc)...still learning the short stuff so apologies to Craig for highjacking!

I do alternate weeks mile reps and 800 reps at 5k pace and 3k pace respectively with 2 min recoveries that will decrease to 1 min over time - you are a bit slower than me Craig, but perhaps this type of session would benefit you as well.

I currently do 3 mile worth of each - if they start to get easy I will add on some more reps.

26/04/2010 at 14:33

Curly

If I were you I'd keep the 5k reps to about 5 - 6 minutes maximum.  If this is too easy keep reducing the recoveries.  I would also do less overall volume at 3k than 5k as it's a faster pace.  If you are able to do 3 miles of either with very short recoveries it means you are fitter than you think you are.  In that case, a good time to race and as a result have a new set of training paces.

Edited: 26/04/2010 at 14:34
26/04/2010 at 15:07
Moraghan - will have a think about that for this week

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
10 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.