10k Training plan

15 messages
18/06/2007 at 11:56
Can anyone recommend a good 10k training plan?

18/06/2007 at 13:49
How about the 10K training plan on the Training tab? There is a 3 or 4 training session per week plan.
18/06/2007 at 13:52
Have you tried it is it any good?

I'd also like to see how the diffrent program's compare before deciding on one.
18/06/2007 at 14:00
I am building up my miles just now (again) and I plan to get myself in to a 10k in September after completing the 8 week schedule (4-5 times per week schedule). It looks good.
27/02/2010 at 11:30
bob! lol
27/02/2010 at 11:47
I've found the schedules on runners world are good
23/08/2010 at 12:06

HEY

Can anyone advice, i'm training to do a 10k in september, how much training is required for this , i'm currently running 3 times a week, any tips??

cheers

Wyn

23/08/2010 at 16:17
Wyn what are you currently doing in training now? If you let the forum know that then the coaches on here will be able to advise you better. It would also would be worthwhile giving people an idea what level you are at, how fast you can run a 10K? If you haven’t run a 10K before then an approximate estimation of how long it takes you to run a typical training run might be useful.As for tips as a resent newb to running myself and assuming you are a novice (sorry if you are not), I would recommend you look to steadily increase your millage so that you are comfortable running the desired distance. Beyond that if you want to get faster I would certainly look into joining a local club for more structured training and coaching. I did and have improved loads as a result, cant recommend it enough!  
23/08/2010 at 17:26
Can definitely recommend the training schedules on the website, I've used two of them separately, months apart, and they did the job. Try to make sure you have a bit of base mileage before going into them, though! As Dan said, working your mileage up gradually is generally the aim of the game, over a period of weeks, without overdoing it. Mixing in speed sessions and whatnot is what the schedules are for, so it might be worth taking a look.
23/08/2010 at 18:31

Hey Moonlight

Thank you for the recommendation, Yet i'm not subscribed to the magazine and unsure if i can get the training schedules any other way..

thanks

Wyn

23/08/2010 at 18:46

Hey Dan

Thank you for your e-mail and advice.. Its my first 10k since i started Running back in January , I Have done many 5k and averaging anything from 26-30 minutes per race, which is 8.3 mins per Mile ( I think) I Run 6.3 miles last night and it took me about 65 mins, ( not to scale) As i'm rather New to this running game i'm learning to improve as i go along.. i'm also running with a club which gives me that extra training and discipline!! i'm looking for that extra advie

thanks

Wyn

23/08/2010 at 19:17

Wyn the next question is what do you want to achieve? You have already proved you can run the distance. If you just like the running and you are not too competative then carry on as you are if you are enjoying it. You will get round.

However if you want to get faster then I would suggest you look at building your miles up. Do at least one run a week longer than 10k, and try to increase this over time. Do it slowly though.

As Moonlight suggests after a while add in a  speed session each week. Intervals are good.

Then a third run - dont go as far as the long run but maybe do it a bit faster. You could pick a hilly course for this or add a fartlek section to the run. But dont consider this until you have a reasonable milage base in your legs.

Search on this forum for training plans there are loads about or have a look at the smart coach thingy on the right hand side of this page.

Speak to the coach at your running club he or she might help you develop a plan.

23/08/2010 at 19:31

Hello Dan

Thank you for the advice its great to get an opinion from elsewhere.

Not really to sure what i want to achieve that maybe sound sad i know, But i enjoy it

again thanks

Wyn

23/08/2010 at 21:34
Wyn, no problem at all, sorry I can't help much more! I suppose the best thing that you can do is cobble together the various suggestions here, but as Dan said, a coach will be able to add appropriate structure to your routine based on your personal attributes, which is better than any general plan. That said, there are a few 10K schedules available for non-subscribers here, namely the 8 week ones. Not sure if it'll help you, but I hope so.
Edited: 23/08/2010 at 21:35
23/08/2010 at 22:35

Hey Moonlight

Thanks again for the advice also taking time out to advice me.

cheers for the link to!

thanks again

Wyn

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
15 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.