1.30 half marathon in a year

4 messages
01/10/2013 at 14:33
I've just finished the Robin Hood half in 1.41:41 with about ten weeks of pretty unfocused training. Last year I came in at 1.38:20 using the Adidas Micoach app. I'd really like to come in sub 1.30 in 2014 and have a year to train for it. Any advice on training? I've got a book by Jack Daniels which talks a lot abut training phases. Should I map the months out? So many questions! Hope someone can help.
01/10/2013 at 15:46

Break down the year into 6 week blocks and focus on reaching some goals in between then overload/progression to the next , you need structure and a routine.. it's important to measure where you are .. look at some other training thredads on here for HM and build a program that'll build you upto that that 1:30 marker.. I've not done further than 10km so couldn't offer HM advice but hope that's sets you in right direction 

01/10/2013 at 16:02

LL I don't think you will go too far wrong by following the Jack Daniels training paces (although his easy running pace is possibly a bit quick).

I agree with Scott about splitting the year up into training blocks and you might want to try a few parkruns/5k/10k for some variations and get some speed in your legs and give you an indicator of how you're improving.

04/10/2013 at 21:08

I went from 1:38 in Sept 12 to 1:34 in Mar 13 and 1:28 in Sept 13 so it is definitely do-able.

I ran XC last Oct - Mar; trained for a spring marathon and from May 13 through to Sept 13 just focused on parkruns (15 consecutive wks); speed intervals for a 1 m challenge and long runs at the w/e up to about 10-12m.

Mid week a favourite outing was (after w/u) 3 mins hard (hilly course) 3 mins recovery working up to 5 repeats etc etc. Weekly highest mileage through this period was 37m - if I had time for more I might have been even quicker but I guess we'll never know....

In short, build a strength/endurance base and then build speed on top. During the summer this helped me go sub 20 for 5k; sub 40 for 10k and then sub 90 for HM.

Now I'm switching focus to gear up for a spring marathon again.... 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.