19 Days

2 messages
08/10/2002 at 16:48
I've just posted my application form for the Jedburgh 1/2 Marathon. It will only be my 2nd half marathon having done the GNR 2000 in 1:50. I don't expect to beat equal or even come close and I would be delighted with 2hrs. My recent running has just been about 7k which I can do comfortably in 40mins. What should I do to prepare in the limited time I have?

Many thanks.
08/10/2002 at 17:32
Try to get something a bit longer in, even if it entails a little walking, just to remind you how it feels to be on your feet for 2 hours. Try 30 mins run/5 mins walk/30 mins run this weekend. After that, continue with your 7ks, maybe doing one or two at a faster pace, so that your current speed feels even easier.

On the day, concentrate VERY hard at the start, particularly if it is quite a small field, on running at your own pace. My second ever half, which was a small local one, contained a lot of pretty good club runners. My usual 10min/mile max pace was replaced by a first mile in under 8 minutes because I was trying to hang on to the back of the pack. After 3 miles I was suffering and by 10 I was walking.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
2 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.