1st time marathon training tips

2 messages
18/12/2012 at 21:12
Hi just wondering if anyone could give me some tips/advice for the best training to do for my first ever marathon. I started running about 2years ago but stopped to have a baby mid way so have only really started up again this last year! My current pb 5k time is 21,09 with an average of 21,40 and I recently ran the pafos half marathon (3weeks ago) in 1,40 (my second half) but this is the longest distance I have done. This was with training but not maxed out training if I'm honest. I have entered the Manchester marathon hoping to be able to do a sub 4hour but there is a little (ok big) part of me that would love to do it sub 3,50 and achieve a good for age into London 2014. With two small children and living far away from friends and family (hubby is in forces) I find it difficult to work around his shifts and working pattern so can't commit every week to any more than 3 runs (sometimes I may squeeze more in). Anyway I have been looking to do a long run (starting at 10miles building up to about 22) a faster shorter run and either yasso800's or hill runs. Can anyone offer any help or advice or am I aiming too high?
23/12/2012 at 14:54

If you are limited to 3 runs/ week- look at shades' thread, or the FIRST trainig plans- and do some sort of cross training as well.

If there's any way you can bring yourself closer to 4 runs / week, it will help, but don't try to do them all as hard runs, and easy midweek medium- long run can be a huge boost.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
2 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.