2 week taper vs 3 weeks

1 message
VA
19/03/2013 at 11:14

Hi all,

I´ve already done 3 marathons on a beginner´s plan which I have customised over time. On the whole it has worked well. However, the first two marathons were hell for the last 9 miles as I already felt knackered before I would normally do in my 20 milers. I think the reason was that I cut down too much on my 3 week tapering. Last year before my spring marathon, however, I reduced the mileage by 30% each week from my total 40 miles at my peak, doing 7-7-14         3 weeks out, 5-5-9 two weeks out and 3-3-2 before the marathon.

On race day I tried to be conservative considering previous experience and finished very strong just under 4 hours with my previous pb being 4.03. I could have certainly done 10-15 minutes faster (I can do a half marathon in 1.45).

I was trying to do the same with my tapering before Blackpool on 7th April. But yesterday my long run averaged 18 miles instead of 20 as I am on holiday in Innsbruck, did not have a watch and got confused with time and distance on google maps.

My point is: I would still like to do a 20 before my race day (it helps me a lot psychologically). This means reducing the taper to two weeks although a 3 week taper is usually recommended for best performance. As I said, from experience doing more miles on my taperi last time seemed to certainly produce better results for me. Not only did I improve my time but I also finished very strong. So I am just wondering whether a two week taper could suit me better. Also considering that my training plan is not a hard one, more like a basic one in terms of mileage at least (speed is better than beginner´s but I have never done much speed work). Or whether three weeks are really better to recover and refuel glycogen.

Should probably add that 3 weeks before my marathon on my 18 miler yesterday I felt strong and was running at a brisk pace (2.35). I´m aiming for sub 3.45 on race day.

Many thanks,

Vin

Edited: 19/03/2013 at 11:20

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
1 message
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.