It's really inspiring reading all of your goals.. and I agree it means more once you've writtent them down.
My 2011 goal is quite simple.
Run a Half Marathon in under 2 hours (PB is a frustrating 2:00:49 - damn last 0.1 of a mile)
Once I've done this I'll settle on a new goal. However, I've decided to be really focussed on this particular aim first.
22 years old returning to semi-competitive running after 2-3 yeras of injury and putting on weight..
Currently have no idea of my fitness level but I may set up a blog as I have some goals people might like.
1) improve fitness and enter a road/x-country race thats 5 or 10k by end of year and post a PB in both..
That means going from nothing after 2 years to
5K in under 17:01
10k in under 36:38
wat do poeple think?
any other goals people may think i could do?
I want a challenge this year. i have stuff to prove to alot of people
OK as we approach the end of January, here is how things are progressing towards each of my targets:
1. Run the Liverpool Marathon on 09.10.11 (target time: sub-3:27) UPDATE entered race!
2. Improve on my 5K Parkrun PB of 18:56 - No attempts as yet
3. Race an event in the Lake District either on Road or Trail - Nothing to report
4. Run 4 Half Marathons in the year - UPDATE 1 down 3 to go. Clocked 1:23:06 at the Brass Monkey Half last Sunday, a PB by over 3 mins. Entries in for Liversedge Half in February and Leeds Half in May. Bring 'em on!
5. Complete a 5K swim (either Swimathon or independently) - UPDATE Swimathon 5K entered and swimming twice a week now. 2K feels very comfortable so will start ramping up soon.
6. Complete all rounds of Winterswim (winterswim.co.uk) - UPDATE On track so far, times submitted for all rounds to date and all going well. Only 2 rounds left to complete and the job will be done.
7. Do at least one bike ride of 60+ Miles - Nothing to report, this is one for the summer.
8. Cycle a total of 1,300 miles in the year (ave 25 miles/week) - UPDATE 75 miles in the bank so far and pleased that I've been out once a week so far, plenty of time to crack on with this in Spring/Summer but a few base miles will lay the foundations.
9. Complete the 6-week 200 Situps programme (iphone app) - Not started
10. Complete the 6-week 100 Pressups programme (iphone app) - Not started
2011 has got off to a great start fitness wise and writing down the targets is certainly keeping me focused on my goals and motivated.
I'm looking forward to hearing how others are getting on, so don't be shy......
Thanks JR for your update on your goals! Very inspiring!
As per my goals set for this year, here as follow:
1. Complete first Marathon in March (Barcleona) in less than 5 hrs-up to 18 miles (this week) and not too tired! This week will be 40 miles in total, which is what I need to do for the following 3 wks then taper for march.
2. Do at least 4 halves (aim for sub 2hrs)- booked Wokingham Half for 13th Feb- unsure if will be less than 2hrs..... Will book for Bracknell, Chippengham two others
3. Sign up for another marathon around Oct/ Sep in UK - looking at Loch Ness/ Abingdon, nothing booked as yet.
4.Complete a 10k in 50 mins- still working on it....
5. Aim to be injury free all year :0)- injury free all Jan which is a great start!
I have booked up a 10 miler for Good Friday in Maidenhead, so hopefully will get a pb from this.
I am also 2wks into my 6 week booze free detox, feeling really good for it and weight is slowley coming off.
Hope everyone's ok and are on track to hitting PB's and are injury free xx
My no. 3 goal was to run a half Marathon in sub 1.55. I managed 1.52 last Sunday so I will revise my HM goal to sub 1.50 for sometime later this year.
I havent had chance to tackle a 10K yet but I am still optimistic of sub 50 at some point this year. I am however way off the sub 23 5K!
Congrats alib that's a great time
Revised my list of targets, I think I may drop my plan to run a marathon this year so I can concentrate on my other distances, but then again if I choose a good marathon training plan it could help me reach my targets for the other distances, I could include the races in my marathon training.....choices, choices
Hope everyone is keeping well and are still running merrily....
Well I've completed my first Marathon, very good times!!!
Got a PB for a half, 2hrs 15 (knocked off 4mins)
Got a PB for a 10miler
Have lots of races (10k's, halves and another Marathon) this year and my races are getting quicker
How's everyone's goals going??
Jumping in a bit late on this but still loads of the year to go...
Started running in January and have been making good progress. Come down from 15st to 13st11.4 (at last measurement). Have been doing a mixture of treadmill, rowing, cycling for the first three months of year and the last four weeks have been hitting the parks of South-East London. Now I am Garmined up and on here most days picking up tips.
Goals this year -
1 Run a Sub 25min 5k (going to attempt the Brockwell Parkrun soon)
2 Complete Hellrunner in November (signed up)
3. Run a 50min 10k
4. Get to the point where my thighs don't hurt every morning and whilst I am running and I think I am going to die for the duration
5. Learn to pace myself properly, i simply can't avoid going off to quickly on my runs and not going anywhere near as far as I should. Only time i can do it is when I run with Wife. Longest run so far is a shade over 5 miles (with Wife) longest without is about 4k.
AmGettingFitter wrote (see
I have managed tpo move from 36 Inch trousers into 34 Inch Trousers.,,,so we have progress !!
I have gone goal.. Get into 32 inch trousers again via a mixture of upping running and reducing food....
Feel strong again. ran a very hilly off road hm at the weekend and pushed hard, felt good for most part - the start I was very stiff as had 3 weeks off due to foot sprain - I shall have to watch my feet, there is a weakness there somewhere. Anyway felt very +ve about the race.
My goals are to either do more trail runs or try and get my 5 & 10k times down. My 10k time is appalling.
Just to let you know that I have read back to see what everyone is doing and how things are going.
Deadstar - would advise you to stick to the shorter distances this year, get really strong before you tackle that marathon. Maybe choose a spring marathon - or just the one that you really want to do. I'm tempted to run a marathon next year but again which one - just so many to choose from. I think you'll do better if you focus on one thing at a time. Just mho. (and it's where I'm at - feels like the right thing to do much as the marathons are teasing all the time).
The main goal of the year was a sub 3:30 marathon - managed Prague mara 3:29:14 so very happy! So happy in fact I decided to target sub 3:15 at Portsmouth in December. That gives me the summer for shorter races - the aim there is to beat some of the guys just ahead of me in my local club! Mainly just get sub 45 10K - last one was 45:10 - very annoying!A lot of good goals and progress on here by everyoneWell done on the waist Amgettingfitter - I went from 36 to 32 - downside is having to buy all new clothes!
Visit the official Runner's World page
Follow Runner's World on Twitter
Other Natmag-Rodale Sites
Run For Charity
About Runner's World
Runner's World is a publication of Hearst Magazines UK which is the trading name of The National Magazine Company Ltd, 72 Broadwick Street, London, W1F 9EP. Registered in England 112955. All rights reserved.
Website powered by: Immediate Media Company Limited. | © Runner's World 2002-2013 |