2012 Marathon thread

201 to 220 of 6,126 messages
10/12/2011 at 23:20
Hi all,

I'm training towards Manchester marathon at the end of April, I did my first marathon in Chester back in October and got 3:52:50 on the back of just over 2 months training so I'm hoping to get down to around 3:40 with a lengthier preparation.

I'm currently up to just over 40 miles a week and, like No Pain, hate intervals and would rather do tempos and running marathon pace over the last few miles of my long runs.

I'm coming up 43 soon so its great motivation to hear that NP is still getting faster into his late 40s (and without doing intervals!)

Cheers
Gaz
11/12/2011 at 13:59

Mini (Ding Dong) well done on a solid weeks training.

Gaz nice early base building for Manchester, I'm now into my early 50's lol but still aiming to improve over the next few years at least.

Met up with a mate this morning and did a road/trail run and realy enjoyed this and ended up doing just over 20 miles first of this campaign and could have done a lot more.

11/12/2011 at 17:46
Marathon training starts tomorrow morning at 6am
11/12/2011 at 18:24

End of week 2. Not too bad, missed one run, but I did miss the shortest easy. Discovered I don't enjoy going for a run after a full English breakfast. Good learning point there. .

I'm struggling with the dark a little. Routes that seem fine in daylight are sometimes a lot less sensible when it's dark. Even with a headtorch, I nearly went ar$e over t*t a number of times during Friday's tempo run. Probably would have been OK in the light, or at an easy pace, but the combination wasn't a good one.

Seeing this thread seems full of repeat marathoners, and speedy ones at that (I'm not worthy) what are the top tips for training and running* the first one?

*term used loosely, but I don't intend to "jog" it.

11/12/2011 at 18:30
Holly - lots of miles. Not too fast. What time you aiming for? Do you have a recent race time?
11/12/2011 at 18:37

I'm doing Brighton. Publically, my goal is simply to finish - I don't want to add any extra pressure. Time wise, my most recent half time (all of 1 second sub 2:20) suggests a target of just under 5 hours, MP works out at 11:17. This sounds awfully fast to me though! Slowness is not usually one of my issues...

Trying to follow one of Shades' plans, 4 runs a week (when I manage them ) and has 5 runs over 20 miles. I thought a lot of the beginner plans started at very low mileage and ramped up very quickly in order to get to 20 miles at all. Overal they looked light on miles, hence going for this one.

11/12/2011 at 18:44
5 runs over 20 sounds good. Try and manage the 4 runs. 3 isn't really enough. Shades' plans are pretty sound for a first marathon.
11/12/2011 at 19:31

Spoons why is Christmas Cancelled in the Spoons house?

Holly it's open to everyone no matter what time.

11/12/2011 at 19:37
Because I am on my own this Christmas and I have no money.

Pizza for Christmas dinner this year
11/12/2011 at 19:52
Spoons... ((man hug))... Hope you are "'ok'"
11/12/2011 at 20:22
I'm OK mate! Hopefully I'll be doing Xmas with the kids on 24th. Xmas day will be a nice long run.
11/12/2011 at 22:39
Has anyone decided to follow the sub 4 plan in the latest edition of runners world? According to their marathon plan generator this is what I should be aiming for despite my current PB being 4H48 which seems a little optimistic. However looking at the plan it doesn't actually look too difficult, did anyone else think this might not be enough training? It is based on time rather than distance which takes you up to 3hrs and the weekday runs are generally interval sessions. I kept an old editions sub 4H plan which is a lot more mileage, obviously I'd like to follow the easier one but is it enough?!
11/12/2011 at 23:03
Liz,

I'd did 4, 20 mile runs and that felt about right to me. I felt fresh on race day but also confident I could cover the distance. The first one was a killer though!
Edited: 11/12/2011 at 23:04
12/12/2011 at 00:26
When do folks do their last long run before the main event - last time in 2005 I ran 20 miles two weeks before the race and totally hit the wall at 22 miles .... was that too close to the marathon run?
12/12/2011 at 08:49
Ian - generally the last weekends look something like: 20, 22, 12, 8, 26.2
12/12/2011 at 09:24

Hi guys.  Liz don't worry its my first time too and Im slow but Im enjoying reading these guys posts and thinking maybe one day i'll be writing about sub 3.30 etc but for now Im a get rounder! What are the shades plans like?

Had an awfully scary moment on my run last night, only had about 2 miles til I got home and as I rounded the corner near some flats a man jumped out in front of me all he said was "allllrrrigght!!?" but to be honest I was shook up, he was massive with a big long beard and like a shepherds crook, very strange.  Needless to say those two miles were quite abit faster than I was used to!

12/12/2011 at 15:16

Wow Rachael - scary stuff (unless that was some Nativity based joke I missed).

How's your foot, by the way?

12/12/2011 at 19:29

Rachael, thats horrible...  make you realise how vulnerable you are.  I often jog around a local industrial estate where most businesses are empty other than nightshift workers, cleaners and similar....  possibly not the best route for a lone jogger! 

13.1 miles covered yesterday!!  Still a long way to go for my 1st marathon in May, but thats the furthest I have covered to date!!  Trying for 4 sessions a week building on overall distances.  Rubbish on speed but try to do some faster jogging between lamp posts if I can!!  I do find the though daunting as my legs were dead the last 1.5 miles yesterday, not sure how i will manage to add on another 13.1 miles!! 

Thanks for the motivation folks!!

12/12/2011 at 19:42
Well done jennie. Keep up the good work. Just run a slow as possible on the long runs and you will hopefully have energy at the end!!
12/12/2011 at 21:39
Spoons - appreciate your advice - 20, 22, 12, 8 is exactly what I will aim for - is the last week made of very gentle jogs
Edited: 12/12/2011 at 21:40
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.