2012 Marathon thread

3,541 to 3,560 of 6,126 messages
22/05/2012 at 10:06

Hill reps will make you stronger. Its undulating where I live when I go for country runs. When I did brighton there were a couple of slopes in the first 1/2 of the race and folk near me were complaining....I hardly noticed them as I am used to a little undulation. The point being....Running hills makes you stronger. Period !

22/05/2012 at 10:32

<span style="font-size: small;"><span style="font-size: small;">

¡ Hola Young Pup y muy buenas!  I used to live in Madrid - c/Siliceo 25 if I remember correctly (but it was nearly 35 years ago).  Hope you're enjoying yourself.

<span style="font-size: small;">Hills are good, but be careful of the effect that they can have on your achilles if you do too much too soon.  I once treated myself to a trainer, she had me doing hills before my legs were strong enough and after the first session I picked up an achilles niggle which took 3 months to sort out.

<span style="font-size: small;">I agree re VLM - I've no interest at all in doing it, I only do small, local races - I prefer them and I'd rather support a club than some conglomerate.  And I reckon that it's much harder to dig deep when there's no-one on the course than when the streets are lined with people cheering you on.  I was once even asked if the mara that I'd planned to do was the same length as London.  I kid you not.

<span style="font-size: small;">3m D+D, felt less tired than yesterday, so obviously yesterday was knock-on effect from Sunday.  Pace not vastly different, but HR dropping by 5+ bpm, so while it doesn't necessarily feel like it, I must be improving

<span style="font-size: small;"><span style="font-size: small;">Weather was so much warmer this morning as well - a good 10 - 15* I should guess.

22/05/2012 at 10:33

Flippin' 'eck what the hell is all that about

22/05/2012 at 12:20

jason well done on the 10k, and I hope the lurgy shifts soon

OH how are your legs? Glad Elspeth is on the mend...

HM well done on the age group placing...

Stuart take it easy fella...

JEvaNs well done on the hilly 12.  Nutella and peanut butter, mmm

GazOC - agree with AGF. Hills = muscles

YP Hola! No late night drinking if you want to get up to run before it's hot...

Jeepers good running and good news on the HR improvement.

Intervals on an undulating loop this morning...3 x 0.75m with 3-min rests in 5.08 5.17 5.27 (6.50/7.05/7.18mm equiv). Legs VERY heavy by the end...Hot and sunny here.

22/05/2012 at 13:04

Teknik - legs are fine surprisingly

22/05/2012 at 13:14

My LSR routes are hillier than any race I've run (with the possible exception of the first lap of Stafford 20 miler) and I've never had any trouble dealing with the inclines in races so I guess its OK to stick with what I'm doing.

22/05/2012 at 14:51

Wow its hot out there today. Just done 10 Mile  slowly in the midday sun. Boy did I have a thirst when I got in !!!

HM4
22/05/2012 at 20:28

JEvaNs,

Well done on the hilly 12.

Gaz,

Would agree with YP.

YP,

Hope it wasn't too warm for you.

Jeepers,

Well done,

Tek,

Thanks.  Well done on your run.

AGF,

Well done.  It sure is.  I did 3.1 miles after work tonight and it was really good to run in temperatures like that.

22/05/2012 at 20:46

Cheers. I did 8 miles late afternoon, love running in this sort of weather!

22/05/2012 at 23:03

Just arrived home from a fab 5 days in wonderful wonderful Copenhagen!

3hrs 50 will do...it was bloomin' warm...nowhere near where I was a couple of years ago but will get back there...well - I will try...

Berlin in Sept.

2 weeks complete R&R then start again. 

Always looking for a different training schedule...any suggestions? 

22/05/2012 at 23:46

Well done mabel. What schedule were you on this time?

22/05/2012 at 23:55

Followed the RW ultimate schedule 3.45

Followed the RW ultimate schedule for 3.30 a couple of years ago - I ran 3:30:34 so considered that a success.

Just want to try something different for Berlin...

23/05/2012 at 01:04

How about a P&D one? The 70 mile a week schedule got me down from 3:53 to 3:16, they also have a program for 50 miles week as well as a couple for more than 70 miles a week.

23/05/2012 at 07:45

Are they the schedules in 'Advanced Marathoning' by Pfitzinger & Douglas? 

23/05/2012 at 08:25

mabel - yes- lots of runners on here use P&D - most (cough) successfully...

23/05/2012 at 13:06

Hot here too - going for swim!

HM4
23/05/2012 at 18:07

OH,

Hope you enjoyed your swim.

Mable,

Well done that sounds impressive in the warm weather you had.

23/05/2012 at 19:01
Well done Label. Too hot for.me I think.
HM4 swim was lovely and actually feels warm now
23/05/2012 at 19:22

Hi all. 

HM4 - please dont be impressed, just seen the official marathon photos...I look dreadful!!

OH - Hope you enjoyed your swim  Yep, it was hot on Sunday, just had to get on with it though. Huge ice cream at the end made up for it! 

P&D now ordered, hopefully it will be winging its way to me from Amazon by the weekend! Thanks for the advice, I am looking forward to having a look and planning  Berlin training. 

23/05/2012 at 19:50

Good luck with P + D, mabel, I've heard a lot of people recommend the programmes.

Weird to think that at the beginning of the week I was in long sleeves, extra top and still cold and today, at the same time, sweltering.  5 hot miles this morning, even at 8 am, the heat had a noticeable affect on my HR, up by around 5 - 10 bpm throughout.

How's your back, Stuart?  Any better?  Hope so.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.