Fantastic OH !!! Well done

HM4
30/09/2012 at 16:25

OH,

Well done.

AGF,

Good luck with that.

30/09/2012 at 16:27
That's a brilliant Pb OH. Welcome to the sub 4:30 club Congratulations.... Lots of hard work gone into that !!

Nice running HY4..
HM4
30/09/2012 at 16:28

AGF,

Thanks.

30/09/2012 at 16:49

Amazing PB OH, well done!

Thanks guys.

AGF when is the Jurassic Challenge and what is it?

Nice run HM4, good that you stuck to the plan.

F

30/09/2012 at 17:07

Kaz well done on the 10 miler

Fiona great running...14lbs in the backpack - just how many goodies were there!

HM well done on the 5m

AGF - Jurassic Coast Challenge? Blimey - tough stuff

---

Long run of 21m today - kept it easy for 16m, then joined the club for a hilly 5m.   

30/09/2012 at 17:17

OH - Fantastic PB

Fiona - great running. 14lb rucksack......

HM - well done.

Tek- Thanks and well done on your LSR.

30/09/2012 at 17:25
Fiona, it's 3 marathons in 3 days on south coast path...
30/09/2012 at 18:26

Gosh, that's a lot of running AGF - and off road too!

Good long runs kaz and Teknik.

I got 2 goody bags - the regular one with a tin of soup and the posh one with 3 chutneys, jam, soup, pasta sauce and biscuits! I was sad enough to weigh my bag when I got home as probably the heaviest I'll ever carry when running (I hope!)

Must get my race plan done for next year.

F

30/09/2012 at 18:40

kaz - enjoy the taper

Fiona - well done on the "old bird" 4th

OH - storming pb, really pleased for you, congrats !!

HM4 - nice running ... i think i'm a bot OCD as i wouldn't be able to stop at .97 i'd have to do the extra 60 or so yards or i wouldn't sleep

Tek - MONSTER run, fantastic stuff !!

1ST RACE today, Folkestone Half so i guess i'd better report back .....

HM4
30/09/2012 at 18:49

Mace,

The thought did cross my mind however I decided better to work on a sprint finish & the last .37 mile was done quicker than 5k pace !

30/09/2012 at 19:03

Sorry, part way through and have to go out ... will report tomorrow

30/09/2012 at 19:42

Fiona - Brilliant time How flat (or hilly?) was the 10k course?

OH - Amazing stuff!! Well done bud

Mace - Hope ran well today, or at least had fun!

------

I'm just in, so I'll give a report later or tomorrow. But I think I'm now front runner for the unwanted crown of 'biggest positive split of the year'

30/09/2012 at 20:17

Mace!  Stuart!

30/09/2012 at 20:26
AGF - Well done for planning on the JCC I''ve done 3 votwo events and they''re very good organisers.

Great to see good run s and pbs, I'm going to take a hiatus from the thread as I can't sign up for anything for a while at least

Good luck in your endeavors
30/09/2012 at 20:30

You guys are impossible keeping us hanging on!

Stuart the course converged with the marathon course on Dores Road at about 2.75 miles so the last 3.5 miles or so was the same. The first bit started uphill then mainly downhill to Dores Road.

F

30/09/2012 at 21:05

Ok - I've eaten, and calmed down slightly.

Loch Ness Marathon - 30/09/12

Woke up a bit earlier than expected at 345, after only 5 and half hours sleep. Not ideal, but my life seems to be that way at times. Sat around for a bit then had some breakfast and an energy drink before getting picked up at 645. Didn't have anything else to eat/drink before getting to the start line, as I'd horror stories about the bus ride out. Managed to fire down a gel before the start.

First 8 miles - Nice and easy, I think I was running around 7.50m/m ave, through 8 miles. A bit fast, but baring in mind thats 40sec/mile slower than HM pace, and it was pretty heavily downhill it wasn't ridiculous (or so I'd think?) I felt in reasonable nick anyway. And that ladies and gents was as good as it got...

8.5 miles - Fell a slight twinge in my left hammy, so I try to stretch it out a bit, and slow down the pace a bit. Didn't think too much of it, until the pain started to reappear. Slowed down some more, and continued on.

12.8 miles - Bang! My right knee totally siezes up with no warning. It honestly must have took me 3 or 4 minutes to get my leg to bend again. A wee bit of stretching then off I went. My race was ruined, and my day couldn't get much worse...

...actually, it could...

Halfway - Now the back spasms start and, quite simply, that was the end of me. For the next 12 miles I didn't run more than 400 consecutive metres. I'm still unsure why I walked past the medical car at mile 15 I was more than ready for a DNF.

25 miles - I have 14 minutes to run 2000m to at least break one time milestone. Not fun when every major muscle south of my chest has given up. Last 800 was the toughest thing I've ever done physically, I was actually in tears through the pain. But I kept it going and crossed the line in 4.28.43. Off the top of my head that was split 1.48/2.41ish. I have no intention of plugging my garmin in to look at the stats! Haha

-------

Now, someone will inevitably point out I set out too fast - I accept that. But that was in no way the (major) cause of all the carry on that followed. Maybe i'm a bit inexperienced and could have done something better at some point, I don't know. 

I guess the question is where I go from here, in terms of the marathon. I suppose it's the disappointment speaking, but thats 2 maras I've trained for this year, one where my leg went 8 weeks out, and another where I fell apart by half way. I'm not sure I want to go through that again.

I'm actually not overly disappointed with my time, but I honestly would rather have ran 5.00 through setting out to fast and blowing up than what I got via the way I got there. At least I'd know it was my own stupid fault, and be able to work on it.

2 weeks away from running for me, then I'm setting about getting myself a sub 20 parkrun at Falkirk by early 2013.

That concludes my rant, for now...

30/09/2012 at 21:21

ooooh Stuart, don't know what to say, apart from "I've been there", mate.  Twice.  I've never worked out why disaster strikes like it does, but I think you need to pat yourself on the back for being so tough in the second half.  Most people would have given up...

You've got plenty of pace - more miles in the legs will make the next one a doddle

30/09/2012 at 21:39

Yeah, I know from previous sports I've done that it might just have been 'One of those days.' Really sucks when you've put so much into it though.

I might move my thoughts away from the marathon for a while. I'm still only in my mid 20s so plenty of time to get things right. Although, I now have unfinished business with the Loch Ness course!

01/10/2012 at 08:04

Stuart, a very valient effort. Well done for carrying on, you are one tough cookie to acrry on like that !!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.