2012 Marathon thread

5,061 to 5,080 of 6,126 messages
01/10/2012 at 23:05

Aye thats true Tek,but your results are in the post mate.

Thanks everyone for the support ive had on this thread over these past few months.

Crossed the line yeterday thinking"never again" and by the time i was back in the guest house last night i was already looking up marathons for next year,play it by ear i suppose as i want to focus on building more of a base when im recovered then work towards getting my half marathon time down at Alloa in March.Ive got unfinished business with that course.

Although happy to finish yesterday i know i have to be a bit more smarter with my training if i want to do another mara next year,

Jason -your hal higdon quote from last week couldnt have been more true yesterday,"getting slowly roasted over hot coals" was certainly true in my case from 18 miles onwards

01/10/2012 at 23:08
Well done YC
I must have seen you some on that last stretch - there were a good number walking by then. I'd slowed to 11 MM pace but managed to keep going.

Home now will try to do full report tomorrow ...
HM4
02/10/2012 at 07:26

Fiona,

Well done.

02/10/2012 at 07:37

yc - great report and fantastic on finishing your FIRST MARATHON ... i'm very jealous but very happy for you.

jayc - great race, super pacing  and thanks for the garmin tip, hopefully mine works now ....

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/228863681

Edited: 02/10/2012 at 07:37
02/10/2012 at 08:34

Mace-great pacing and a strong finish in the last 5 as well.Well done.

Legs are almost back to normal now,off work this week so have a few fishing outings planned,not cracked the fly rod in anger for a while,rainbow trout beware

02/10/2012 at 08:39

Tek - meant to ask about this ....

"Revised HRmax also means you've been training 8 bpm lower than you could have "

My previous max was 175 ( actual max test in March was 173 and i figured then that i could maybe have squeezed a little more although my legs were at the point of collapse ). Latest max is 181 - are you adding a couple of beats to that ? Or were you bottom of the class at maths

Also interesting that my new max is so much higher which can only be endurance related ?!

Anyway, can't wait to get out for a run and try out my new max

02/10/2012 at 08:46

YC. My first marathon was 4:09, the second 3:34. The main difference was to move the average (over the 20 weeks prior to the race) from 30 Miles per week ( peaking at 45 Miles ) to 40 Miles per week ( peaking at 55 Miles).  I ran 5 times a week. This means the averge run was 8 miles. The average pace was 9:30. However as some of the  Tempo runs were 7:xx mm pace that means the "normal" run pace was nearer 10 minute Mile pace.

I think the key thing for me was that the slower running enabled me to run relatively high mileage for over 20 weeks in a row without getting injured. This was the single biggest reason for improvement.

Another key message for me was that whilst I was training most over 9MM pace - very often nearer 10 mm mile pace - the mileage meant I built and aerobic base. ( relative).  This was enough to run 8:10 mm miles for the whole marathon with only a 2 min positive split.  I ran the race on "feel" rather than worring about HR.

I also ensured that 2 runs a week were "over" 10 miles. ( LSR and MLSR).

Thats what "worked" for me.  Hope its is of some use. Teknik has basically done something similar - but his mileage is even higher.  This is why I think he will suprise himself come race day with a proper taper.

Good luck with your planning

02/10/2012 at 14:10

mace -  I thought your old max was 171, 181 is 10 higher, so at 80% you had another 8 beats to play with...sorry for the confusion.

I don't think you can raise your max (although you can lower your resting) - you just weren't trying your hardest before

AGF thanks - am looking forward to that taper right now...

Edited: 02/10/2012 at 14:11
02/10/2012 at 15:03

Loch Ness Marathon 2012

This was my second marathon, having completed Cape Wrath in May this year. 

My training had been somewhat idiosyncratic, fitting around other races and on-call commitments.  The week before the race, I had a strange sense of having already completed the marathon.  I can't say why, but it was as if it were already "in the bag".

Travel down to Inverness involved a rocky boat journey and meandering train journey accompanied by my wife, Elspeth, who was not racing Loch Ness this year.

We met up with MrsMac for her delightful birthday meal at a restaurant by the river along with MrMac,  MrMac’s sister and her husband (M&J).

Although not known in advance, we ended up staying at same B+B as another couple (G & K) from Orkney doing the marathon. This was probably not entirely a coincidence as the B+B owners are the parents of another Orkney runner.
I ended up level pegging quite a bit with “K” on the race.

Good night's sleep, waking just before 6 - breakfast at 6:45. Our hostess was horrified at the sacrilege of all 3 runners taking honey with our porridge!

A short walk down to the line-up of shuttle buses at 7:30.  It was quite a wait till the buses got started and then quite a long slow journey.  The convoy of buses with motorcycle outriders must have been quite a sight.  The race organisers had obviously listened to feedback from previous years.  Some of the buses actually had a toilet on board.  Buses did not wait anyone needing off for toilet breaks, as the relieved ones were picked up by the final sweeper buses in the convoy.

It had been wet overnight but latest forecast was to be sunny with a tail wind.  However, from the bus, there was little sign of any wind on the treetops.

It was probably a good mile’s walk from front of the bus convoy back to the start line.  I positioned myself at the 4h30 + mark (previous time 5 hours 6 minutes at Cape Wrath) - in hindsight, this was probably a mistake as I found myself frustrated having to dance round a lot of slower runners.  The pipe band was a bit of a disappointment: I think I did hear the sound of pipes somewhere in the distance!

The first 6 miles is mostly downhill, which was easy-going, if congested. Pleased that I managed to run all the way at the 5 mile hill.  I was passed by “I”, another Orkney runner, who chatted for a few minutes before disappearing ahead (for her sub 3h50).  I then caught up with  MrMac running with his sister M.

The route then follows an undulating course at the side of  Loch Ness with some lovely views. Although I was not particularly feeling the tailwind, the water on Loch Ness would suggest a F3-4. Running along I found my thoughts drifting to memories of a close friend, who died prematurely from stomach cancer.  It’s good to be alive.

At about 10 miles, I felt the first wave of tiredness.  However, I was still running and making good progress. 

4 mini Jaffa cakes

At around 13.5 miles, my Garmin stopped and I did not realise for a further 1.5 miles.  Although momentarily flummoxed by this, I consoled myself that I was making good time and heading for a significant PB provided I kept running. I then met up with “K” (from breakfast) who commented that, at this pace, we were heading for a 4:20 finish!  Both of us knew that this would be unrealistically optimistic for a finish time but nevertheless had a feelgood factor.

Snack size Dairy Milk chocolate (still had mini Mars bar and jelly babie

02/10/2012 at 15:06

... jelly babies in reserve)

Walked the hill just coming up to 19 mile mark but ran again until just short of 22 mile mark where I had another short walk at end of long hill. K and I were yoyoing over this distance but then I left her behind at top of hill (so I thought).

Long downhill now into Inverness, lots of folk walking. I managed to keep running albeit slowed to 11 minute mile pace.  Felt confident now that I was going for a good PB although I had no longer had any accurate idea of timing.

At 23 miles I made the mistake of taking a "lemonade" (normally stick to water), which ended up turning my stomach a little.

Just a point where the road meets the river (25+ mark), MrsMac jumped out into the road waving her arms shouting “Well done Peter!” A great booster.

At the bridge, I was briefly frustrated by 2 runners wanting to run together blocking my way.

Heading back up the river, I didn’t notice that I’d now turned into the headwind although the last 0.2 mile  did feel to be a long way.

Keeping a lookout for Elspeth, I totally missed “K” creeping past me, until she was halfway between me and finishing post with 20 yards to go. Rats!

Still 4 h 26 09 - a 40 minute PB – better than my wildest dreams

Came round the corner to see Elspeth smiling and waving at me. I grabbed my goody bag of beetroot soup (I hate beetroot!), metal and T-shirt.  Finished.

Elspeth was a real brick, fetching my bag, finding a free bench and getting a cup of tea.

Free runners’ food was a disappointment  - soup and a child's portion of chicken curry.

However, a venison steak roll and a "Cheeky Chappie" found a welcome place.

Met up with Mr and MrsMac and J&M again, before the “long-short” walk back to B+B.

02/10/2012 at 16:18

Oh -well done and great report.

AGF-thanks for sharing the info mate,the planning for the next attempt at 26.2 is starting to gather in my head just now.Good sound info there,thanks

Official photos are up on marathon photos,no 3102 looks pretty serious doing his attempted sprint finish,could be doing with some fake bake on the legs though to cover up the Scotsmans pasty colour

02/10/2012 at 16:19

YC - Well done. Sounds like you enjoyed the experience, and that's probably the most important thing for a 1st marathon

OH - Nice race report, although for some reason I thought you had run quite a few marathons. Dunno where I got that idea from.

Fiona - Nice training session.

jaycmoore - That race sounds like a beast! Good luck if you enter it, rather you than me

02/10/2012 at 17:04

OK SM6 YC - reveal your Bib numbers (and photos...)
Only took up running in 2011, Stuart, doing 1st half in june 2011

02/10/2012 at 17:12

OH great race report, well done

Nice piccies YC LOL

---

4m jog this evening. HR a bit up, and I now have a full-on cold. Better to have it now than in a few weeks...

HM4
02/10/2012 at 17:50

OH,

Great report.

Tek,

Well done.

----------

No running from today however I've done a wee bit of cross training - tidying out a couple of cupboards!

02/10/2012 at 17:51

Oh what was your number i may recognise you if you passed me in the latter stages,i was 3102

Tek-Greens and tangerines for that cold mate i swear by them ,works for me

02/10/2012 at 18:15

Tek - Hope the cold clears quickly

OH - Dunno why I was under the impression you had done a lot more! You've been running about the same amount of time as me then, my 1st half was Sept '11. Had done a few 10ks before that but nothing serious.

Just had a look at the pics  I'm walking (and look ready for chucking it!) in 2 of my 3. My slow hobble over the line is particularly shocking! Why was their not a cameraman at mile 6??

2542 would be me

02/10/2012 at 18:20

YC my number was 3201
I had thought you were passing comment on my legs and attempted sprint (which would have been justified) then mistyped the number!!!
The photos are not great are they - don't think I'll be shelling out any hard cash

SM6 but at 54 I've got a bit longer in the tooth!

Edited: 02/10/2012 at 18:30
02/10/2012 at 18:49

OH ,na the person i was referring to with the pasty legs was only me lol

and my attempted sprint was comical

02/10/2012 at 19:37

Well done Loch Nessers!! For some reason You make me glad I pulled out.........

Great reports from you all. I am always amazed at how much everyone remembers, I can never remember any of the facts........it all becomes a blur

SM - That report gave me deja vue of my Paris experience. Well done on battling on completing.

OH - 40 mins AMAZING!!!

YC - Excellent. Support can sometimes be all it takes to motivate us. For my first mara I travelled to Berlin on my own. My sense of accomplishment didn't last long when I was on my own afterwards.

Not much to report here.......not going to mad, Yet!!! Just been out for a 5 mile hilly tempo followed by a cool down walk with the dog. All good.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.