2012 Marathon thread

5,081 to 5,100 of 6,126 messages
02/10/2012 at 20:24
OH, a great report. Super run.
Tek, get well.
Kaz, 5 miles sounds good....a similar run for me today without the tempo or hills.
02/10/2012 at 20:36

OH - Well done. 40 mins off is a fantastic improvement

Good runs going on all... weather has, erm, got a bit wetter down here in South Wales this afternoon. Still, didn't stop us getting out for a windy, wet MTB ride over one of the local mountains... in truth the temperatures are still fairly mild!

Off road hill repeats lunchtime today. 4.4 miles, 5 repeats, 798ft of ascent. Haven't done them for a while and it's a nice break from the office where most people seem to be sneezing and sniffling. Buggers. I don't want a cold! 

02/10/2012 at 20:40

Stuart - I certainly *plan* to enter it. Will need to keep an eye out for entry and race information this year though!!!  Coincidentally there is another fell run down that way, Charmouth Challenge.  A more modest 8 miles 1,900ft ascent. 6th July 2013. Must earn some brownie points and kindly suggest we visit my wife's mothers on some "selected" dates!

02/10/2012 at 22:17

OH- great report and great running- well done!

YC- well done on cracking the marathon. One thing, I would have at least a few weeks before building the training back up- the body and the mind will need a break before cranking it up again. I'm planning on 3-4 weeks of light training/recovery after Snowdonia

jay- DON'T SNEEZE on the computer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Sports massage for me yesterday and 4m slow this morning and 6.4m slow this evening. Fed up with tapering and wondering what non-runners do with their time?????????? Thankfully, work has been full on lately so kept me busy! I Still don't know what pace to run on Sunday- I think a lot will depend on conditions, but if the wind is kind i am thinking of setting out at 6.12-6.15 pace and seeing what happens. I think this might be a little optimistic and could result in the most spectacular positive split, but confident that I could get 2.48, and just hoping that the taper will nudge me towards 2.45-??

03/10/2012 at 00:07

Jason - that's some pace for a full 26, but if that's what you've trained for then go for it. I was convinced that I wouldn't be able to do sub-8:00 at NFM but it felt comfortable on the day; slight positive split by 1 min but I put that down to the hill on mile 22. Only went out at that pace after talking to a good runner at work who simply said "If you've trained for that pace, set out and see how it goes".

Sounds like that's what you're going to do at Chester anyway, so best of luck

Edited: 03/10/2012 at 00:08
03/10/2012 at 08:37

Great to hear everyone recovering well after Loch Ness and considering what marathon next!  

Agree about the photos - I'll not be parting with any cash! (number 5166 although I also feature in the marathon winner's video bottom left red jacket cheering him over the line!)

Just a few more days jason. I think most folks spend a lot of time with their TVs, I never know what they are talking about in the office!

A treadmill run for me last night. 5 lots of 1.2k in 5 mins with 70s (200m) recoveries; 6 miles in total. Calves a bit tight but compression socks all night seem to have done the trick - attractive!

F

HM4
03/10/2012 at 19:11

Well done guys.

03/10/2012 at 19:28

HM good X-training yesterday!

YC thanks - based on the success of your toe-tapping tip, I'll give it a go

Stuart thanks  - shame about the piccies

OH LOL

Kaz hilly tempo  well done

AGF thanks and LOL.

Jay good training

jason nice slow double...wish I could predict my time to within 3 mins...or keep up with you for more than a mile

Fiona good treddie session

---

8m "easy" at 70%max...now at 9.06mm...coughing up stuff all the way

HM4
03/10/2012 at 19:36

Tek,

Thanks.

03/10/2012 at 19:44

Kaz - Nice running

AGF - Well done

jay - Sounds like a good plan!

Jason - Is Sunday the big day for you? That's a mighty pace, don't think I could run that for one mile. Downhill. With a tailwind

Fiona - Nice intervals

Tek - Well done, don't think I'd have braved it out like you!

-------------

First exercise of any form since Sunday. Went to the gym for some upper body pushing exercises, nothing too exciting. Once I'm actually recovered I'm going to take things a bit more seriously, I weighed in at 79.1kg today, my next race will be in March (either Alloa HM, or Grangemouth 10k) and I'd like to get down to 73ish by then.

03/10/2012 at 20:01

Cheers guys

Stuart- Yep Sunday it is!

Tek- hope you get rid of the gunk soon

8.11m for me on the track tonight- track was to keep it flat and easy on the joints (I'm tapering, you know). 3m easy 7.00-7.30 pace, 2.5m @ 6.12 and finished with 2.61m easy again. Funny old game this running lark-for  the "easy miles" my felt like lead and for the MP miles they felt easy and light. It was tempting to keep going at 6.12! Must be a good sign, I reckon.... That's pretty much it for me before the race- just got a 6, 5 and 4m recovery runs left over the next 3 days

03/10/2012 at 20:26

Tek - i see where you're coming from now

OH - nice report, top running

jason - best of luck for Sunday you deserve a big pb and i look forward to your report.

First run since Sunday's half tonight.

3.5M @ 9:37m/m @ 69.1% HRav ....

...... ohhh, hang on did i say 69.1% ? Silly me, I was forgetting i've got a brand spanking new HRmax from Sunday's race, what i should have said was

3.5M @ 9:37m/m @ 66.8% HRav  

03/10/2012 at 20:37

Tek - that sort of run must give you huge confidence.

03/10/2012 at 20:55

mace - thanks: yes, but still fussing a bit about bad drift on long runs - getting better but not much time left...well done for getting out again

Edited: 03/10/2012 at 20:55
03/10/2012 at 22:09

What's your HR rising to on the long runs ? And do you take any gels ?

03/10/2012 at 22:41

something wrong with the forum tonight - if this is a double post, sorry

03/10/2012 at 22:48

ok, mace...looking at the four September runs

The three 20+ milers I managed to keep the HR below 83%max - but running a slow 9.30 - 10.00mm pace. Last one was sub70% for 17 miles, then I started to spike.

On the run with a MP section, I hit nearly 95% at the end of the Half Mara (19m into a 22m run) - stupid sprint finish...

Actually writing this down has made me think the drift ain't that bad...

Gels? No, not in training. 60g per hour on race day, though...

03/10/2012 at 23:13
Tek, to be clear, on marathon race day you will be running 80 max average or higher. Your last few miles will be 95% max. You have done the aerobic stuff so fo not worry too much about drift. Smash it !!
03/10/2012 at 23:27

JSN - all the best for Sunday

Hope to do first post-marathon run tomorrow (with group)

04/10/2012 at 07:04

Doesn't look too shabby at all, Tek

And on the 22 you put in a couple of low 8m/m's from memory to hit 95% !?

I reckon you look good and with gels to come for the real thing .... i'd have a few quid on you

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.