2012 Marathon thread

5,261 to 5,280 of 6,126 messages
15/10/2012 at 17:51

TekNik Nice picture - looking very cool and relaxed

15/10/2012 at 18:03

I agree - cracking photo....and a sub 44     

15/10/2012 at 19:46

Kez-Well done on your first marathon,enjoy the buzz.

Tek.Looking cool as a cucumber in that pic fella

15/10/2012 at 20:03

Tek: great photo, just out of interest what is that water behind you???

Only intersted because did a bit of fishing in my past.

15/10/2012 at 20:06

Tek: what is that photo in your back ground???

Great photo, only intrestred because I did a bit of fishing in my past.

15/10/2012 at 20:08

Hi Solent...it's the North Sea, by Harwich in Essex

15/10/2012 at 20:33

Tek -  congrats on an excellent PB!! Nice photo too.

A calm, cold night here and just in from 7.31 hilly miles. The first  time I have ran with someone since March. Really enjoyed it, although the conversation was a bit one sided..........maybe I should have just shut-up!!

15/10/2012 at 20:35

Tek - Nice pic, looking nice and relaxed! Obviously not trying hard enough

Kaz - Good run

-----

3.65 very easy for me tonight. Looking at how high my HR gets running slowly (ave pace of HM+4.00) my max HR must be spectacularly high.

Edited: 15/10/2012 at 20:36
HM4
15/10/2012 at 20:49

Tek,

Great picture.

-------

Well done guys.  Good news less achey in the legs however knees a bit troublesome.  Hopefully will get out for a run on Thursday however have a flu jab at 10.45 so that's going to muck up the day.  I thought booking it that time I'd be able to get out for a run first thing but with it being a day off and having a lot of early starts this week

16/10/2012 at 02:36

Great running from all...

Tek - nice photo!

Kez - good effort, especially a sprint finish in your first marathon

Fiona - brilliant 10k splits... 2nd FV overall is some effort. Well done!

Studland Stampede on Sunday was brilliant as usual. Superb weather for the event, so weather gods were smiling the same as last year. A field of 400 runners assembled on Knoll Beach in the warm autumn sunshine to be greeted by the announcement that the "course is wet so don't come home clean". Wet it certainly was. First couple of 100m along the beach were a good warm up, breaking in to the dunes and moorland inland led to (very) wet and (very) muddy conditions. Several runners went over in deep puddles in front of me making my choice of Inov8 Roclites a good one as I didn't suffer from any footing problems Despite the wetter conditions the soft, sandy bridleway from 8-9km was as tough as ever. Breaking on to the beach for the final 3km we were greeted by some random nudist (a bloke, although I didn't pay *that* much attention) running alongside us for a few metres to the amusement of all around. Much harder final few km than usual as the high tide had deposited large banks of seaweed meaning there was no harder sand at the waters edge to run on, so it was soft, drier beach sand all the way! Broke past a couple of runners towards the line to come home in 56::47, 34th place out of 400 finishers and 8th VM 40-49. A mixture of sand and mud covered legs, wet feet and tired legs. A quality race and definitely one to do again.

Finished with a latte and danish pastry in the National Trust cafe overlooking the bay, followed up with a lovely Sunday roast at the Smugglers Arms in Osmington Mills (highly recommended). Kara (my daughter) and I did a bit of rock scrambling around the headland afterwards and saw some Dolphins in the bay as well

Definitely back next year for another go!

16/10/2012 at 07:43
JayC.... Sounds like a brilliant Sunday all round
16/10/2012 at 07:45
JCM that sounds like a fun race and good running.
HM4
16/10/2012 at 08:30

Jay,

Well done & great report.

16/10/2012 at 09:45

AGF - good to "see" you getting back into ( and enjoying) it

Fiona - super run, enjoy the prizes

Kez - First Mara, wonderful achievement

jayc - Studland Stampede, what a cracker of a name  sounds like fun, well done.

Tek - smashing it up mate, awesome pb !!! The writing is well and truly on the wall, go for it, well looking forward to your Mara.

jason - double taper   ... are you looking to improve your recent pb ??

Well my niggling achilles cleared up and as if by magic i ended up with a stinking head cold for most of last week as a replacement . Managed to drag myself through 30M including a 10 on Sunday. Then 5.30 this morning did 8M @ 70%max @ 9:16 ... first run i've actually enjoyed since 30th Sept Folkestone Half. 

Plan now is to HADD myself up to xmas and hopefully build to 50M weeks, then on to a P&D schedule for Brighton ... not decided which one yet though

No Marathons planned for the rest of 2012 but i'll hang around if it's all the same with you lot

16/10/2012 at 10:41

Mace - we have similar plans for next year. I to am doing brighton and plan more hadd followed by P&D 

16/10/2012 at 10:51

AGF - going by your run yesterday and mine today i'll be 8 seconds and 4% max behind you after 8M in Brighton  

What's your plan for HADD and which P&D are you doing ? ... i'll have to make sure i do a bit more training than you to keep up 

16/10/2012 at 13:15

No more marathons for me this year either, possibly no more races this year.
I have let Elspeth know that I do not want an entry for S2S Ultra (Kinlochleven to Tyndrum) for my birthday this year

16/10/2012 at 13:59

Mace, In short I pan to build up from my 30 miles a week to be doing 40-55 Miles a week by christmas. Probably two weeks around 50 followed by a week at 30-40 Miles as a resting week.  Mainly slow running with a threshold or intervals each week.  Its probably "hadd - lite".    I think I will bust on the 55-70 Miles if I do the 18 week schedule - So I may do the 12 week schedule for 55/70 in an attempt stay injury free.

I did 3:34 last year so hope to smash 3:30

16/10/2012 at 18:23

AGF mace JayC New Years resolutions so soon!

10 miles for me today - more enjoyable than last few runs

HM4
16/10/2012 at 21:51

OH,

Sounds like a good plan.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.